Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sportscarbill Bill Holben
Missoula, MT, USA   USA
Hi Vance--

Thanks for the tip! I see that you have a TR7 in progress, so I wonder if you are running this part in that car with good success?

sportscarbill

1966 TR4A IRS, older frame-off restoration being refreshed, driver
1978 Spitfire, rough, bought for parts for the '80, but complete
1980 Spitfire 1500, survivor, running but work needed
1980 TR7, sitting 10 years in queue, hopefully starting resto this year

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1593230 by sportscarbill Hi Vance--

Thanks for the tip! I see that you have a TR7 in progress, so I wonder if you are running this part in that car with good success?

sportscarbill

1966 TR4A IRS, older frame-off restoration being refreshed, driver
1978 Spitfire, rough, bought for parts for the '80, but complete
1980 Spitfire 1500, survivor, running but work needed
1980 TR7, sitting 10 years in queue, hopefully starting resto this year

I am running the D525 which is a Delco HEI coil for 6 cylinder engines. That coil works great, but requires a different hi-tension lead which you seemed to indicate was an issue for you. The Triumph ignition casting mounted to the fender well accommodates two different sized coils, the smaller being the OEM coil, the larger being the D525 coil. You must tap the alternate mounting holes for the D525 coil as the mounting holes are not already tapped but are pre-drilled.

The UF 88 coil is a near drop in, as it uses the original mounting holes and the original high tension lead (according to the specifications in the parts book I looked it up in). The photo shows clearly that it uses the same high tension lead, but the connections for the distributor are in slightly different locations. The UF88 coil was only used on European cars like Renault, but was a Delco of France product, and as such it is rather expensive ($80, as I recall). I got the D525 coil for $18 with free shipping from eBay, but it is more work to install. The good news is that either coil is electrically compatible, and will mount on the original casting. They both provide a neat, professional looking installation, so you have options.

My original coil had an open in the secondary winding, it measured as open with my ohm meter. The coil is normally the most reliable part of the ignition system, but mine had failed with the engine sputtering and refusing to rev any higher than about 3500 RPM. It started and idled great, however.

Caution: While the parts guide says that the UF88 is the correct replacement, I have not personally tried it. I opted for the less expensive D525 and modified my original high tension lead to fit..

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links