Electrical loss of power-TR7

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hemishepherd Michael Wallner
Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
I was reinstalling the drivers door today And somewhere in the process of hooking up the door light I have lost all electrical power. The light worked, I put it in the door and then all power was gone. Fuses look good... any suggestions on where I might have shorted the system?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
The only wire that run through the doors are are the door light and the speakers. In re installing the door the track that those wires pass through may be damaged.

Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
I just don’t understand how I lost all power to the vehicle

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1592295 by Hemishepherd I just don’t understand how I lost all power to the vehicle

There is generally a master fuse link in the positive cable hooked to the battery. Every car I have ever worked on had one, although I have not verified the existence of one on a TR7. If there is one, it is probably in the brown plastic housing in the middle of the cable, where some other wiring taps into the cable.

I suppose it is possible that cut loose. They can do that after many years. I guess they just get tired and give up one day. When they do, there is no power anywhere in the car.

BTW, you said the fuses "look" good. A visual inspection is not sufficient. They can be open and look fine - so the only definitive test is with a test light or an ohm meter.

On GM cars, the master fuse link is in the positive battery terminal clamp itself, rather cleverly hidden. Since the battery terminal clamps on the TR7 are of the plain lead variety, my bet is that it is in the cable.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

supercass Steve C
Scunthorpe, North Lincs, UK   GBR
Don't want to insult your intelligence but are your battery terminals tightly secured and clean? Sometimes they can feel secure when they are not. I'm not aware of any fusible link on the positive cable.
supercass

Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
I will check the battery connections tomorrow morning. It has to be something simple. I plugged in the light, toggled it on and it worked. Put it up in the door panel and then no power...I assumed since the last thing I did before losing power was put that light in that maybe I caused a short somehow. I suppose I could start checking the grounding points as well.

oliviertr7 Avatar
oliviertr7 Olivier Addes
Pezenas, Hérault, France   FRA
1978 Triumph TR7 "Triumph TR7"
this disjunction can only be caused by a short circuit, check fuses, main relay, grounding and of course battery connection and everything goes back as before the war

a very good day to all

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Michael,

I suppose it's possible, but it seems unlikely that a shorted wire in your door would knock out your entire electrical system, that's what fuses are suppose to prevent. First thing I'd do is look at the door wiring to find the offending short(if any)so it won't happen again. Next(as Vance suggested)test light to find out where you do have power. I'd start with the fusebox to see if there's power to it, if not start at the battery, it's got to light unless there's a dead short in the battery(it happened to me)and just work your way out until your tester won't light.

Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
Spot on. Checked the battery connections. Power came back. That will be the next thing I fix... thank you for sending me in the direction of the easiest solution first.
On a different topic: does anyone know what size the tiny lightbulbs in the center console above the switches are. I can’t find them anywhere.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
One thing I've learned over the years when I'm not sure what the problem is I usually start with the easiest or cheapest thing first. The bulbs are application specific so you'll have to get them from a Brit supplier like the Roadster Factory or Victoria/British.

oliviertr7 Avatar
oliviertr7 Olivier Addes
Pezenas, Hérault, France   FRA
1978 Triumph TR7 "Triumph TR7"

a very good day to all

Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
Thank you very much for the help

urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
When I bought my ‘77 TR-7 from Woody Cooper, he had installed LED bulbs in place of the original peanut bulbs. The result is terrific lighting; since my car is Jade Green, he selected green LED lights - bright enough to be easily read but not blinding.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster