Crying in my Beer

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
Larry, sorry to hear your club bummed out. I have not been in a club since the 70's, back then there were several "sports car" clubs in my area and each had driving events--rally and autocross, virtually no shows. Maybe a few driving tours. Very active and lots of hands on work to keep the cars competitive. I got too busy and dropped out. Most of the clubs have evaporated over the years. There are a couple still active and I am considering joining two of them to test the waters. I did notice on their "events" pages that there are few competitive events. Hopefully there will still be some who are enthusiast enough to actually do something with the car besides detailing it. Sure hope I don't have your disappointment. Also, I am looking into maybe doing one last build and clubs can be a source for local cars.
Charlie D

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Lads:

The local Triumph Car club is very active (Portland Triumph Owners Association). Dues are a measly $20 a year, and they have monthly meetings.

They volunteer for the local all British auto-jumble (late summer), and have regular road tours throughout the driving season. I feel fortunate to have a club like that in the immediate area.

That said, most members do not work on their cars, and they are all older individuals with one or two notable exceptions (not me, certainly!).

The sad fact is that the individuals who are passionate about these cars are aging out, so car clubs like PTOA have a limited lifespan.

Younger kids want Honda V-Tecs, or do not want a car at all.

The times, they are a-changin'.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1588874 by Darth V8R
....most members do not work on their cars, and they are all older individuals with one or two notable exceptions (not me, certainly!).

The sad fact is that the individuals who are passionate about these cars are aging out, so car clubs like PTOA have a limited lifespan.

Vance

And here we are folks. "GET THAT HONDA OUTTA MY WAY!"

http://mowoguniversity.com/about-nigel-shiftright.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
"Life's to Short to Drive a Prius"

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Vance,

On a side note, are you planning to attend the 2019 All triumph Drive-In In Penticton, BC, the weekend of September 22nd?

In reply to # 1588874 by Darth V8R Lads:

The local Triumph Car club is very active (Portland Triumph Owners Association). Dues are a measly $20 a year, and they have monthly meetings.

They volunteer for the local all British auto-jumble (late summer), and have regular road tours throughout the driving season. I feel fortunate to have a club like that in the immediate area.

That said, most members do not work on their cars, and they are all older individuals with one or two notable exceptions (not me, certainly!).

Vance

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
My old club got old as well. Funny as I have not gotten any older over the 30 years I have been playing with these cars! Anyway have to second the GRM site and people. We are all gear heads, all work on our cars and all help each other out. Case in point, I needed an R200 for my TR4A. One of the guys on the GRM forum went to a local pick and pull and found me one from a Q45 with the right gear ratio with LSD for cheap. Shipping to me next weekend. This is the type of people on our forum and it is a lot of fun. You will likely find that there is someone in your area that is local to you in Virginia. I met some people on GRM that lead me to the Capital Driving Club here in DC and found a bunch of of like minded folks that all work on their cars and share ideas and parts when they can. Much different from our old British Car club where we basically went on rides and had a banquet at the end of the year. Nothing wrong with that, but I do enjoy the mechanical challenges as much as driving my cars.

In reply to # 1588799 by TR8todd I pretty much gave up on the club thing a long time ago. There are a bunch of TR8 owners around here that I get together with for both car and social events. There are also a bunch of other sports car guys around. Grassroots Motorsports website is a great place to find local like minded enthusiast. On any given warm weekend, you could see a Mazda rotary, a right hand drive JDM car, Porsche, lesser British cars, etc. parked in my driveway. My garage has become some kind of unofficial hangout spot. Many of those guys were met thru the GRM site. Sure beats hanging around with some stoggy old guy talking about his XJ6. In full disclosure, I'm 53 so that kind of puts me smack in the middle of my older Brit car friends and the younger GRM crowd. There are other avenues to meet sports car people that want to participate in more than just parking their cars on a grass field.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1589086 by TeeR8 Vance,

On a side note, are you planning to attend the 2019 All triumph Drive-In In Penticton, BC, the weekend of September 22nd?

Henri:

Honestly, I have never had time before, although I have gone to it once when it was in Oregon.

But this time it sounds pretty good to me, not only because I mo longer employed full time, but because I have a good car and I have not been to Canada in many years. The last time I was there I marveled at how good the locals treated the wife and I. They made us feel at home and we had a great time.

Let's put it this way, for the first time in years, it sounds like the thing to do. It is many months away, but I will start making plans.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
Larry - lots of great advice above; my suggestion is you seek out a single marque Triumph club in your region and I expect you will find a more active group (albeit gray/grey haired mostly). Since Triumphs tend to the lower end of the price spectrum, are relatively easy to work on and most parts are available, I think you get a lot of Triumph owners working on their own cars compared to some of the others. For me, it is a significant part of the allure - I'm in the engineering & construction business but don't get a chance to get my hands dirty there much, weekend time in the garage is treasured. In Houston, the Texas Triumph Register is heavily populated with excellent mechanics. I read the monthly newsletters from 8-10 other clubs (i.e. the PTOA Vance mentions) and see most of them are similar. Good Luck !

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Henri and Vance,
I already have my reservations at the Lodge for ATDI and along with 5 other couples will be heading up there after Triumphest in Santa Maria CA. All are Triumph Club of Southern California members, all are over 65, all are from So. Calif. and all work on our own cars. Looking forward to putting some faces to names. Thanks, Rob

ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Charles Edwards
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Larry, in my area are several car clubs catering to different marques and purposes. The two to which I belong can be divided into groups of those who do their own work and those who don't. Lately I've been helping a younger man get his LBC going and I've found that teaching is rewarding. In your case I recommend paying your dues, find someone whom you can help via this forum, get them involved in your club, and keep on going. Send me a pm if you want to connect via email or facebook.

wright Avatar
wright p.j. wright
pittsburgh, pa, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "MIASSIS DRAGON"
Clubs that deal with collectibles be they cars or stamps, or guns or whatever all have a similar problem. It may be the lack of youth at entry level, age , or just a lack of enthusiasm. Be that as it may let me talk about our club even though I am not one of its officers or spokesman.
I have been a member of the Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association since 2004, the year I retired. I had a barn find TR6 that I planned a rolling restoration but needed some outside expertise so I sought out a club and this one welcomed me like a long lost dog. The cub has about 200 members, we have gear heads who are quick to help, just drivers who attend the runs , que tippers who are just looking for perfection, owners whom are just members whom you never see, and other enthusiasts without nomenclature.
We have a monthly newsletter, a holiday party each year in January, a tuneup clinic in April, at least one run each month on a Saturday , key participants in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix including British Car Day, active in the Hartwood Acre British car event, member garage tours, , and during the winter months a monthly brew tour at one of the local microbrew slopschutes. We also have impromptu runs that some member emails to all members to join if they have nothing better to do. Be it a rose garden tour, or just Sunday breakfast, or a quick lunch at Seven Springs, there are always a small group of souls ready and waiting usually with their significant other.
Our membership coordinator welcomes all new signatories and stays close to encourage them to take advantage of the various opportunities. He is a wonder.
We are an old club like most but we seek out the type As to keep up the interest . It’s amazing how people are willing to be involved providing you don’t overdo. As my sainted mother used to say about church; :they butter you up then they pile it on: We make it a point to not overwhelm a contributing member but the old adage still applies. : you give the biggest job to the busiest man.
Having an active club takes planning and involvement by many not a few, if it’s fun then it’s effort but not work.
PJ

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Well said P.J. and I concur about the WPTA.

Larry I believe you are about 5 hours from Pittsburgh you should consider coming to the British car day at the PVGP we have had LBC enthusiast from further away attend that show. We also have a number of runs south into WVA which you may be able to connect with. I know this doesn't help as far as tech sessions but it would allow you to meet other LBC people. If you do want more information on British Car Day it can be looked up online under the PVGP or PM me or PJ and we could send you the information. I probably won't make it this year as I probably will not have a running Triumph. If you would decide to come up for the weekend, you could join us on Friday as we set up and have beer and pizza.

In reply to # 1592596 by wright Clubs that deal with collectibles be they cars or stamps, or guns or whatever all have a similar problem. It may be the lack of youth at entry level, age , or just a lack of enthusiasm. Be that as it may let me talk about our club even though I am not one of its officers or spokesman.
I have been a member of the Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association since 2004, the year I retired. I had a barn find TR6 that I planned a rolling restoration but needed some outside expertise so I sought out a club and this one welcomed me like a long lost dog. The cub has about 200 members, we have gear heads who are quick to help, just drivers who attend the runs , que tippers who are just looking for perfection, owners whom are just members whom you never see, and other enthusiasts without nomenclature.
We have a monthly newsletter, a holiday party each year in January, a tuneup clinic in April, at least one run each month on a Saturday , key participants in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix including British Car Day, active in the Hartwood Acre British car event, member garage tours, , and during the winter months a monthly brew tour at one of the local microbrew slopschutes. We also have impromptu runs that some member emails to all members to join if they have nothing better to do. Be it a rose garden tour, or just Sunday breakfast, or a quick lunch at Seven Springs, there are always a small group of souls ready and waiting usually with their significant other.
Our membership coordinator welcomes all new signatories and stays close to encourage them to take advantage of the various opportunities. He is a wonder.
We are an old club like most but we seek out the type As to keep up the interest . It’s amazing how people are willing to be involved providing you don’t overdo. As my sainted mother used to say about church; :they butter you up then they pile it on: We make it a point to not overwhelm a contributing member but the old adage still applies. : you give the biggest job to the busiest man.
Having an active club takes planning and involvement by many not a few, if it’s fun then it’s effort but not work.
PJ

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

sliproc Avatar
The internet may be partly to blame for the decline in club activity. Before internet you either had to know how to fix your car and get parts yourself or know somebody who did, especially after the dealer networks dried up. At that point I think it was natural for owners to band together for mutual support. Except for face to face the internet can now provide just about everything clubs did.

I think clubs really started to come into their own when the Brit car industry died. I was around during that transition, when I bought my brand new TR-7 the thought of joining a club never even occurred to me, what for, if I had a problem with the car I just took it to the dealership. At that time the TR-7 was my only car, it was my daily transportation, however I did buy it because I loved British cars(still do), it looked cool and I had to have a convertible. I think it was about the mid '80s when I began to notice parts and service starting to become more and more challenging. The next step for me was discovering parts suppliers like the Roadster Factory and finding out there were other guys like me in the same predicament as me.

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
There is no local club.. the closest is over 100 miles away. They seem fairly active, but I have never joined because I would almost never be able to attend anything they do.

I do follow them on facebook.

Locally I only know of two other Triumph guys.. one bought a GT6, but doesn't know much about it or work on it. The other is new to our town and has a really nice Tr250, but it is complete and he is retired and doesn't seem to do much with it except the occasional local car show.

sliproc Avatar
James,

I thought 100 miles was just down the street for Texans. It sounds like an opportunity to take a nice little roadtrip 2 or 3 times a year to attend club meetings. Drive out the day of the meeting, have lunch along the way, attend the meeting, get a room for the night, wake up, have a nice breakfast, drive home. Seems like a great way to get that beauty out and stretch her legs.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster