Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TexasAggie Roger Roseman
Broussard, LA, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "Purple People Eater"
What works good to clean the plastic rear window on my conv top?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Roger,

Mothers metal polish works great to keep plastic windows clear and you just need to do the insides with the polish that's where the gummy residue starts to build up. The gummy residue begins to fog the windows then come the yellow spots, if it gets that far you need a new window, the key is to nip it in the bud, keep the inside window from getting sticky. The outside of the windows you can keep clean with a chamois.

havfam George Haversang
Montville NJ, USA   USA
I have used novus cleaner with good results. #1 is the cleaner, #2 for polishing and deep cleaning, # 3 is for scratches

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
If there are scratches, you might use jeweler's rouge or are you ready for this? Drum roll…….tooth paste.

wsquared Warren W
Olathe, KS, USA   USA
Except for an occasional wipe-down with a damp cloth, I essentially ignored my ’72 TR6’s plastic windows from 1981 when the top had been replaced until 2016 when I finally decided to try and do something about my inability to see out the back. (A couple of previous half-hearted cleaning attempts had been unsuccessful.) Heeding a suggestion from a local upholstery shop, I tried an application of Meguiar’s No. 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner, followed by an application of Meguiar’s No. 10 Clear Plastic Polish. Follow the instructions on the bottle. First using the cleaner, I divided the back window into four sections so I could concentrate on one small area at a time, and I spent about 10-15 minutes per section, both on the inside and on the outside of the window, massaging the product onto the window. It took a good while, but eventually the many years accumulation of grease and grime finally disappeared. Then I buffed both sides of the window with a microfiber towel. Next I used the polish, following the instructions on that bottle. Same treatment on the two small side windows. I was surprised that the window looked as good as new after all those years of neglect.

Attachments:
IMG_0502.JPG    41.9 KB
IMG_0502.JPG

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596267 by wsquared Except for an occasional wipe-down with a damp cloth, I essentially ignored my ’72 TR6’s plastic windows from 1981 when the top had been replaced until 2016 when I finally decided to try and do something about my inability to see out the back. (A couple of previous half-hearted cleaning attempts had been unsuccessful.) Heeding a suggestion from a local upholstery shop, I tried an application of Meguiar’s No. 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner, followed by an application of Meguiar’s No. 10 Clear Plastic Polish. Follow the instructions on the bottle. First using the cleaner, I divided the back window into four sections so I could concentrate on one small area at a time, and I spent about 10-15 minutes per section, both on the inside and on the outside of the window, massaging the product onto the window. It took a good while, but eventually the many years accumulation of grease and grime finally disappeared. Then I buffed both sides of the window with a microfiber towel. Next I used the polish, following the instructions on that bottle. Same treatment on the two small side windows. I was surprised that the window looked as good as new after all those years of neglect.

I use there car care products on all of my cars, have for years. The plastic polish works great on my TR 8 rear window.

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I have used two and three step polishes with good results, the reason I finally settled on metal polish is it's single step and I've found that the easier or quicker something is to do the more often I do it. The trick with plastic windows is not to let them get to far, once it starts to yellow it means the window has been fully penetrated and can't be polished clear anymore.

jelly donut Frank G
Rockaway, NJ, USA   USA
If the window is in decent shape, I've had good results with Plexus. This was on a '69 Cougar vert, buy I can't imagine the plastic windows are too different.

bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian Fox
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1596267 by wsquared Same treatment on the two small side windows. I was surprised that the window looked as good as new after all those years of neglect.

That's a great result Warren.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster