AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carpet for TR8
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph TR8
davmach1 Avatar
davmach1 Dave Leininger
Andover, MN, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "The 8"
Well I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the leather seat covers and new foams for my 8. Now I'm thinking I should do the carpet as long as i have the seats out. I see there are a lot of different kits but was wondering which one is best or worse. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Dave,

I still have my original carpet, it seems to be holding up fine. On the seats though I did the same thing(new foam and leather), I absolutely love the leather seats, one of the best upgrades I've done to my TR7. In fact I'm about to start redoing the interior on my Jensen-Healey, leather seats are definitely in the plans.

Yes No Thank
F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
For the TR7 & 8 I like the carpet sets that The Roadster Factory produces "in house". TRF is also having a sale right now.

The Rayon carpet is very nice but if you are looking for something high end to go with those leather seats the Wilton Wool would be my pick.

I like the idea of getting a carpet set from someone I know has the correct patterns.

GH

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
Dave,

You might give MacGregor in Canada a call, they sent me some carpet samples, not original but nice stuff from England, plus the favorable exchange rate between the US and Canada will save you a few bucks.

Yes No Thank
TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Dave,

Have a look at this TR8 for sale on B.A.T.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-triumph-tr8-12/

In the Comments section, the Seller of the TR8 commented on Dec 8 about the carpet kit he installed.
There are a few photos of the interior which shows the carpet.

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Yes No Thank
HowardB Avatar
HowardB Howard Brissenden
Potton, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
These people are worth a look as the sell moulded carpets instead of the flat pieces from Rimmers et al.

Autocarpets link

I purchased a set from them but not yet fitted so am unable to comment on the fit. However good quality carpet which is hard wearing (according to Australian's who fit them in their pickup trucks. Colours not original but quite close and they will post you sample swatches anywhere in the world.

Howard

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
I would check out a high quality auto trim/upholstery shop in your area because they can get high quality wool carpet then have it custom fitted/installed in a color you want...better quality and thicker pile likely....good alternate to the sets you can buy...

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
Dave,

Two schools of thought here; keep it as original as possible, or do a nice high quality upgrade. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If you go original it will certainly be nice and be the most economical way to go. If you decide on a high quality upgrade the sky's the limit and you'll be talking some big bucks. Gary's right Wilton Wool is the benchmark for high quality British restorations, but it doesn't come cheap. Also, Bob's got a good point, if you're going this way it's probably best to have it done professionally. I'd find a local Hot Rod upholstery shop, the Hot Rod guys routinely spend $100K on some their builds and $200K isn't unheard of.

My feeling is this, since you spend most of your time with a car in the cockpit why not make it as nice as possible.

Yes No Thank
rbaron Avatar
rbaron Roger Baron
Fort Mill, SC, USA   USA
"since you spend most of your time with a car in the cockpit why not make it as nice as possible"

Seems like I spend most of my time under the hood or on my back under the car!! Guess the carpet is a lower priority here...

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
I used a "wool" carpet kit from rimmer and I brought it to a high quality upholstery shop for the install...has seams on the floor bottom sections...it sheds now so not the best quality or pile ...my shop had better carpeting options he could have installed without seams mirroring a molded carpet set...would go that route today if i do again......

Yes No Thank
davmach1 Avatar
davmach1 Dave Leininger
Andover, MN, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "The 8"
Well for what it's worth, it took 2 1/2 months to get the leather seat covers from TRF so now the seats are out you can really see how bad the carpet is. Needless to say it motivated me to buy some carpet. I went with the Australian carpets for about $200 US. Says they will be here 3/7. We'll see.

Yes No Thank
Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph TR7 "Haggis"
1981 Triumph TR8
1982 Triumph TR8
I bought the "molded" carpet from Autocarpets.
Don't waste your time or money.
The carpet fit is not great, especially on the sill behind the seats.
I have purchased TRF's TR6 carpet kit and the quality was outstanding.
I will probably replace the Autocarpets set in my TR8 with TRF carpets next summer.

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1584605 by rbaron "Since you spend most of your time with a car in the cockpit why not make it as nice as possible"

Seems like I spend most of my time under the hood or on my back under the car!!

LOL spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

A good a case as any for a quality undercoating and engine bling.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
with regard to interior carpeting you are better off going to a good auto trim shop and getting high quality wool carpeting very close to original and better than products on the market-trim shop can install better than molded sets.......i have the rimmer set and its mostly a poly wool blend...sheds real easy as it gets older...would not do that again...seats if you want the plaid check look I would find a fabric manufacturer that has material close to your original color and pattern then have them made in leather vs vinyl...

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1584605 by rbaron "since you spend most of your time with a car in the cockpit why not make it as nice as possible"

Seems like I spend most of my time under the hood or on my back under the car!! Guess the carpet is a lower priority here...

Then you carpet the floor. grinning smiley

Attachments:
P1010177.JPG    61.4 KB
P1010177.JPG

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster