AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oliviertr7 Avatar
oliviertr7 Olivier Addes
Pezenas, Hérault, France   FRA
1978 Triumph TR7 "Triumph TR7"
Hello
I replaced the starter cable switch
there is only one connection, what is the right wire to connect?
and what is the use of the unused thread?

a very good day to all

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HowardB Avatar
HowardB Howard Brissenden
Potton, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
Bonjour Olivier

For a year or so I have been preparing a "improved" wiring diagram for my 7 and your post made me think about my car.

The last '81 model Triumph wiring diagram shows both Blue/White and Green wire connected to this switch. The Green is from the switched supply and the Blue/White connects to the light in the dashboard.

HOWEVER from memory there is only one wire to my choke cable & only one terminal to connect on the switch.

As you may have worked out there are two models of the choke switch - and the only available version has only one terminal. Unfortunately this does not work with the original wiring harness so we have a problem.

Probably the easiest way is to modify the new switch. The second terminal has been replaced by a copper strip which rubs against the earthed metal sleeve of the choke cable. Solder a wire onto this strip and crimp a male terminal onto the end of the lead. You then must insulate the copper strip from the metal sleeve of the choke cable using a suitable hard wearing material. Possible alternatives are heat shrink tubing or epoxy adhesive, Insulating tape is not recommended as it will quickly bunch up and fail.

Since this is a "bodge" it would be sensible to fit a in line 5A fuse in the green wire just before the switch to avoid a general electrical failure if the insulation of the copper strip doesn't work. Hope this help - let me know if you need any more information

Cheers

Howard

oliviertr7 Avatar
oliviertr7 Olivier Addes
Pezenas, Hérault, France   FRA
1978 Triumph TR7 "Triumph TR7"
A big thank you to you.
I had actually done as you advocate and it works very well.
but in doubt I wanted some other information
your answer is perfect
friendly

a very good day to all

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HowardB Avatar
HowardB Howard Brissenden
Potton, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
C'est bien

Howard

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster