AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Finally settled on a tartan in black/grey/white for the white TR8 coupe restomod project. I think it mimics the red and green tartan interiors very well. What do you think? Can't seem to copy paste image so here is a link to where I bought it. If anybody can figure out how to copy the image and post it here, please do so. Should be here next week. Bought 3 meters of it so that should be enough to do two interiors. With shipping, $75.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/612089915/blackwhite-original-scottish-tartan?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tartan%20fabric&ref=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
That going to be tough enough for a seat (not that the original stuff really ever was)? - Pete

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
I think so. Saw a similar tartan interior on a bug and that material weighed 250 grams per meter. This stuff weighs 330 grams per meter.

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here's the picture

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
il_570xN.1542740113_2xnf.jpg    64.2 KB
il_570xN.1542740113_2xnf.jpg

Yes No Thank
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Looks good. Just make sure it it colorfast if it gets wet. Not all tartans are.

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1557527 by TR8todd I think so. Saw a similar tartan interior on a bug and that material weighed 250 grams per meter. This stuff weighs 330 grams per meter.

I also noticed that it is a weave, not a print. Looks like pretty good stuff.

Very handsome, and they seem to have some patterns that are close to the blue tartan that was original in my car.

It seems like I could buy a set of blue vinyl seat covers, and replace the center panels with blue tartan.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
While I was searching for the closest match, I came across a place called House of Tartan in Scotland. They claims to have red and green TR7 tartan in stock. Pretty sure its wool thou. There was also another place that could custom match any tartan/plaid with a sample. 2 week turnaround and prices were not crazy. Both places sell tartan for automotive interiors, and the synthetic blend recommended is what I bought. 70% polyester, and 30% something else. My order shipped from yesterday from Germany. Rimmer Bros orders are always here in 2 to 3 days, so maybe by the weekend I can have the "talk" with my wife. Every year around this time she starts in on making the kids over the top hollowed costumes. One kid leaving for college saturday and the other is almost 17, so maybe, just maybe, I can get her to direct her efforts into making my seats. She hates doing them, but the ones she has made for me come out way better than the sets the upholstery shops have done. I'm thinking stock TR7 seats, and a the set of BMW Recaros I have set aside. Instead of the perforated leather centers on the Recarros, I'll do the tartan. The rest of the seat will be black Alcantara. If I don't like the Recaros, changing the center section is easy. I can just wrap the center removable foam and set in place, if it doesn't look right, don't cut and cover the foam. Recovered Recaros in Alcantra are an easy $1200 to $1500 sale. Maybe I'll dangle that carrot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 10:43 AM by TR8todd.

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1557830 by TR8todd
... so maybe, just maybe, I can get her to direct her efforts into making my seats. She hates doing them, but the ones she has made for me come out way better than the sets the upholstery shops have done.

As one who, out of necessity, has learned how to sew their own buttons on or go without, I have to say I retained little of the rest of you post after getting to this passage. eye popping smiley ! - Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 12:37 PM by POW.

Yes No Thank
Auto8 Silver Member John R.
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
Todd, I think that plaid will look great! Is this for the LS monster or are you working on a different restomod?

John

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
No this is going in the white TR8 coupe. Driveline is a fairly mild 4.6 with Fitech FI, 5 speed, Ford rear end. Its also getting a roll bar, big brakes, adjustable suspension, and 16X8/9 wheels with 225 and 245 series tires. This one will have a nice interior and I may even install a modern air conditioning system. Concept is to build a 2018 version of a TR8 if Triumph was still making a TR8. Its due to go off to the blasters to remove at least 2 layers of paint, but I got metal in my eye last week building the roll bar. I've been out of commission for a week and a half.

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1558441 by TR8todd Driveline is a fairly mild 4.6 with Fitech FI, 5 speed, Ford rear end.

Todd,

One wonders what you consider fairly mild smiling smiley

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Mild. 20 over stock 9.35 compression pistons. Steel head gaskets will bump that a little. Oversized valves and porting on the heads, and a mid range cam. Forget the duration on it but it has .470 lift. Also using a lightened flywheel and one of Ted's custom lightweight clutches. Should make an easy 300 at the flywheel.

Yes No Thank
Auto8 Silver Member John R.
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
Sounds similar to what I'd want to build if I had the skills! Post some pictures if you get a chance!

Yeah...metal in the eye isn't fun. I got hit with a dust-sized grain of hot weld many years ago while working in the shipyard. I was lucky - it healed with no problems. Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

John

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1558454 by darrellwalker
In reply to # 1558441 by TR8todd Driveline is a fairly mild 4.6 with Fitech FI, 5 speed, Ford rear end.

Todd,

One wonders what you consider fairly mild smiling smiley

-Darrell

Anything with less thrust than a Titan II ballistic missile is "mild" as far as Todd is concerned. cool smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Fabric showed up. It seemed a little thinner than I thought it would be. Then I compared it to the stock material and its actually thicker. Its woven and very strong. I think I'm going to like it. Here it is against the red. Only green I have is door panels in the race car.

Attachments:
100_0074.JPG    82.7 KB
100_0074.JPG

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links