Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SunderlandSteve Steve P
Lewis Lake, NS, Canada   CAN
Greetings,

I'm rebuilding the engine of my 1970 TR6 with the PI "150 hp" camshaft so I ordered the "uprated" double valve spring set and alloy top collars from Moss. The original lower collars are not suitable for these double springs so what should I use? Is it OK to just sit the springs on top of the head without collars?

Thanks in advance
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
PLEASE check out the alloy to collars. Ask member Zester about them!

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Hi Steve,

Have you considered Goodparts?

https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=501

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SunderlandSteve Steve P
Thanks Tush, I didn't know about those. I had 60 thou planed off the head to raise compression, presumably the partial compensation provided by the 40 thou lift of these collars is no bad thing?

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Give Richard Good a call. He’d be happy to talk to you through his products to see if this is the right application for you.

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

zinteck Avatar
zinteck Silver Member David Zinteck
Syracuse, NY, USA   USA
1966 Chevrolet Corvair "Yenko Stinger"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII
Steve:

You do need something besides setting the springs on the head itself. You don't want the spring digging into the head.

In my case I used flat washers 0.040 inch thick

Attachments:
IMG_20190106_104121.jpg    42.2 KB
IMG_20190106_104121.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The washer increases the spring pressure which should be in accordance with what you cam manufacturer requires.

Washers have no effect on rocker geometry, the valve spring height is set by the valve, it makes no differance if you skim the head.
But skiming the head may upset the rocker geometry that 'may' require altered push rods or rocker pedestal shims.

Alloy retaining caps have a reputation (more now than in the past) of fracturing and dropping a valve.
Which can really upset your day! :-(

zinteck Avatar
Syracuse, NY, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII
Tony:

The washer , in my case, replaces the stock spring seat.of similar thickness. It simply spreads the spring load against the head and stabilizes the valve spring base.

Agree on point 2 The best way, IMHO , when you shave the head , reduce the length of the push rod by the same amount, if possible

Agree on the spring collar.The twin spring steel collar is more stable.

Cheers

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Richard Good’s dual spring seats are also intended to keep the inner spring properly centered. He’s a good source for info as well as parts.

SunderlandSteve Steve P
Oops, I had no idea there had been problems with the alloy spring collars, they just looked like the spiffy thing to have. I also bought the shortened forged pushrods from BPNW to compensate for the reduced head thickness.

zinteck Avatar
Syracuse, NY, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII
Steve:

Agree they do look spiffy and may not be a problem for you, if your just motoring around. Problems occur at the higher spring rates and rpm. Quality can also be an issue.

Know your source, research, and be guided accordingly.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Here is the thread from the Spitfire GT6 forum, lots of info about Alloy retainers and valve springs.

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/blk-bry-was-ready-to-turn-over-to-daughter.1554867/

SunderlandSteve Steve P
In the end I cleaned up the original steel upper collars for re-use and purchased a set of lower collars from Goodparts.
Now I have $60 worth of Moss alloy collars that I don't know what to do with. Suggestions? Matching earrings and necklace for the wife? winking smiley

Attachments:
TR6 008.jpg    48.6 KB
TR6 008.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Perhaps Moss will take them back for a credit?

Regardless, loosing $60 is better than finding this:

Attachments:
IMG_20190219_160654.jpg    13.9 KB
IMG_20190219_160654.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster