TR6 rear axle removal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

140421302 Steven Borabeck
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I want to replace the u joints on my rear axles and drive shaft. I have the left axle removed, but the right is stuck. In an old article on this forum it talks about using a persuader, but without any details. Can someone enlighten me on how to exactly apply persuasion to the axle? Also, I had intended to replace the u joints myself, but the video I watched is giving me second thoughts. Is this something reasonable to try or should I just take the parts to my local repair place and have them do it?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Take a rubber mallet and tap it and see if it will loosen up, or use a putty knife and put it between hub and bsck plate and tap it in there to release hub. I replaced all my U joints, spray with some PB blaster and let set for awhile then try and knock them out, some more difficult then others. Good luck.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
When you talk about difficulty removing the axle...do you mean you are having a problem separating the axle at the sliding splines or separating the U-joint's flange from the differential's axle driving flange ?

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I am having trouble removing the axle assembly from the car after removing the 6 lock nuts.

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Ok. Let me put this another way.
Have you unbolted the inner U-joint's yoke from the differential and having trouble separating the two OR are you (after having removed the 6 nylocs from the trailing arm studs) having trouble getting the axle's sliding joint to separate so that you can withdraw the hub and outer axle thru the opening in the trailing arm ?

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I banged on it for a while with a rubber mallet to no affect. Then I removed the break shoes and tried a paint scraper. Still no luck. Any other suggestions?

Yes No Thank
Doubledroptop Avatar
Doubledroptop David Freet
Chandler, AZ, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "White Ghost"
Can you supply a few photos of the issue so that we can get a better idea of the trouble you are having?

Yes No Thank
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
One picture is the left side where I was successful and the other is the right side.

Attachments:
005.JPG    40.7 KB
005.JPG

007.JPG    35.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
You have a little too much stress on it put a jack under the trailing arm and raise it up where it's almost straight when you look at it

Yes No Thank
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Didn't some of the sliding axles have a set screw in them? I know that there were some variations...maybe he has one of them.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it set for awhile , then try again, someone might have put sealer on the back side of it.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I was going to suggest he look for that locking collar on the axle spline joint, Tush. if I could ever get an answer about exactly what he was having a problem pulling apart....the sliding splines or the flanges..
It would be an issue for one but not necessarily the other...

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
I was reading a TR Register post about rear axles.
Some of those folks recommend (horrors) putting locktite on the splines, so they don't 'clunk'.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue/sold16,500

Yes No Thank
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Not looking to be a know it all but even if that was the case if you take the 4 bolts holding it to the rear end off you should still be able to take the axle out as 1 piece I think his issue is that it's been in place for 45 years and is just being tough give it a couple of good shots on all sides and it will begin to move

Yes No Thank
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I have been banging on it, spraying it, prying it and pulling on it, but to no avail. The left side came off with no problem.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster