Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

TR6 factory hardtop rennovation - what does yours look like?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Normandy park, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Molly"
I bought all the replacement bits from The Roadster Factory but a couple of the pieces don't look like anything I took off the old one plus I'm pretty sure this top originally had missing pieces.

1. There are two rubber strips, number 22 in diagram, that say they are "seals, side of hard top to rear deck". They are shaped like a flat triangle and have no means of attachment. Are these a glue on thing after the chrome trim strip rivets are attached? Do they belong on that flange so that the metal edge of the top doesn't touch the car? Nothing like this was on the top when I bought it.

2. The new window fuzzy/rubber seals that are for where the back and top edges of the door window meet the hardtop don't look like the ones in the diagram. They don't have a preformed right angle. The old ones I removed DID have a right angle and the edges at the miter where joined by the little bits in my second photo. Advice about making these fit? Do I cut and miter myself or are they not meant to look like the old ones?

3. It seems funny to me that there isn't some trim to cover the flange where the back edge of the headliner is wrapped and glued below the back window. Anyone do something creative here?

Anyone out there with a complete hardtop able to share some photos of what the seals are supposed to look like? Advice about installing them?

Cory

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
diagramtop.jpg    62.4 KB
diagramtop.jpg

bitsshare.jpg    19.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Stratocruiser Avatar
Stratocruiser Douglas Johnston
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Info on hardtop restoration. Hope this helps, I used it for my hardtop.
http://www.74tr6.com/hardtop.htm

1969 Triumph TR6 "Molly"
I was working off the same photos you sent me but the last entry stops short of installing the rest of the seals. Also, this guy just has the seal around the door window bent and stuffed into the corner of the hardtop. I wonder how that will work when he tries to roll up the window. Still hoping to get a look at a hard top that is complete.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
I have this one bookmarked for when i get around to doing my hardtop. MAybe it will help you.

http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/the-6-pack-forums/car-repair-restoration-help/body-trim-accessories/66470-hardtop-construction-a-to-z

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Also, I can't remember where or when I read it that you should not miter the gasket around the side windows.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

1969 Triumph TR6 "Molly"
Very good link. In the tiny print between photos is says not to miter these corners and not to trim until it's been fit to the windows. I had an upholstery guy do the headliner but there is a lot photos on doing that. It's too bad the guys car isn't a light color tho. Hard to see some of the details. I've had this hardtop for two years. Surprisingly hard (and expensive) get it ready for the car. Thanks again.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster