Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Steel or aluminum? 5 1/2 or 6 ? Pannasport or mini lite? Japanese or Chinese? 8spoke bolt on . Any thoughts ? Recommendation ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Ken,
I’ve bought VTO wheels from Acme Speed shop and I really like them. I got the Classic 8 style for the Bugeye and I’m up in the air about which one for the TR4a.
Rut
http://www.acmespeedshop.com/wheels/

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I can't recommend a brand or a country of origin but I would suggest a 6" wide wheel for the simple reason that correct sized tire choices are more available. 205x70/15 seems to be the popular replacement size but it is just too phat for a 5.5" wheel. That equates to a smooth ride it's true but also to heavy and less than nimble handling. With a 6" wheel the trade off between comfort and handling will be less with a 205x70/15 and at least you will have selection a selection of good reasonably priced rubber to choose from. Check out this tire/wheel calculator and see what differing size wheels and tires look like. - Pete

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks pete.

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks rut.

JCBritfest Johnny Calder
Conway, SC, USA   USA
I also have VTO Classic 8’s from Acme Speed Shop and love them. If you have questions Hap, the owner, was very helpful.

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks

ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
I don't have a TR6 but prefer the original wheels to anything I've seen fitted, steel ( except for the '69 ) or wire. IMO nothing is as appropriate for the period. Aluminum trim rings always catch my eye as they are really rare now and bring me back to the days when they were in production and seen on the roads regularly - US fitment only; they went bare in the rest of the world.

Having said that, runout ( wobbly ) is unacceptable. To replace a set of bad originals I would search around for period alloy wheels if I couldn't locate some true running originals. ARE wheels, perhaps...

The 4-1/2" TR250 wheel is pretty hopeless I'm afraid. All of mine had unacceptable runout so my '250s have had Panasports since 1990 ( there have been at least three generations, all slightly different - I've got them one and two generations back ). For show cars, painted wires have my vote.

Tom

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Tom ,Rimmer is running a sale on knockoff mini lites from China . Under 500$ for the set I let you know how that shakes out . Ken

gbtr6 Avatar
gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
I still like the 16x6 Koenig Rewinds. Look great and enable a large tire selection.

Perry

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks perry

Hudson, WI, USA   USA
Watch Discount Tire for Konig Rewinds (and other wheels). I purchased a set with BFG T/A 215/65-16 on 16x6, put them on Disc. Tire credit card and received $320 back in prepaid debit cards. That put the net cost around $800 for the set.
Discount Tire usually runs the special 2x per year, around Memorial Day and Labor Day.

LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594930 by Hotshoe Thanks Tom ,Rimmer is running a sale on knockoff mini lites from China . Under 500$ for the set I let you know how that shakes out . Ken

Ken,

My car came to me with 5 1/2" minilites. I believe they are old and period correct as they are stamped 1975. Here is what they look like.

Attachments:
DCP_2314.jpg    44.9 KB
DCP_2314.jpg

gbtr6 Avatar
gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596098 by Wayne G Watch Discount Tire for Konig Rewinds (and other wheels). I purchased a set with BFG T/A 215/65-16 on 16x6, put them on Disc. Tire credit card and received $320 back in prepaid debit cards. That put the net cost around $800 for the set.
Discount Tire usually runs the special 2x per year, around Memorial Day and Labor Day.

What Wayne said. They are super nice, and smooth. No issues with runout, or wobble.

Perry

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
I think the 16 inch Konigs are 16 X 7....

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster