The saga of my paint job !

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
I started putting together an online album of the paint process for my TR6. Its all here except for the hood which I need to do one day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3uvb2nEibJJm57kU8

If you click on the info icon, you should see comments on some photos as you scroll through them

Feel free to leave comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 10:44 PM by jtorral.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Nicely done. Looks like you did everything right. I especially like the suburban garage home spray booth, most neighbors would freak over this.

Those considering this should take inspiration from Jorge's awesome results.

I'm going to take a guess you've had some paint and bodywork experience?

GH

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
Thanks for the comments

2nd car I have painted. Just did a lot of research ahead of time. Last car I painted was a 74 TR6 in lacquer 27 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 11:54 PM by jtorral.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
YankeeTR5 Dan M
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Jorge, thank you for sharing. Your finished results look excellent. I'm sharing your photos with my son as the 74 carmine red needs a redo and I think its something we can have fun tackling together.

How long a timeframe do those pics represent?

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
Wow. Great project for father and son.

I see you're in Seattle. That's where I picked it up.

I would say between May and Jan before painting.

I did rebuild suspension in that timeframe as well and there is a lot more to do.

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Wonderful pictures. Thank y0u for sharig and please keep them coming.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
Very impressive and a beautiful result.

My car was also painted in a garage under a plastic sheet tent. The work was done by a moonlighting professional. It was 1987 when lacquer was legal in California. 9 coats of PPG lacquer sanded after each third coat. It has held up extremely well. I had the boot lid refinished about 20 years ago after one of the kids threw something that dented it while covered in the garage. The filler started to craze after about 18 years requiring another refinish, which is a testament to the quality of the work of the original repaint.

smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
Nice work.....when you show all the pictures, it explains the time and effort done to do a paint job right. It also explains the high cost of having it commercially done. Last year I did the same to my TR6, although I had more sheet metal work. What type of paint did you use and one or two stage? Scott in CA

Attachments:
IMG_20180514_143137078_HDRa.jpg    51.6 KB
IMG_20180514_143137078_HDRa.jpg

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Jorge-
After studying your photo album closer it looks like you "Double Dipped" your car, that's an old painters term. I see in one set of photos it is fully assemble and solid green but sanded, and maybe a bug in a close up pic. Then we see you assembling your spray booth and the car being shot again. Maybe in the spray booth pics you were just doing some touch up then clear coating it?

May to Jan is pretty speedy, some pro's can't do it in that time frame.

GH

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
Yea. Some of the pictures have notes. But hard to find. I am creating a separate album on my own website with visible notes and chronological pictures.

But to answer the double dip question .....

Painted first time outside of controlled environment. Got loads of solvent pop. The temp was too cold and got runs on one side and finally a big bug landed on the door. That ticked me off and the next day I sanded the entire car again, build a booth, installed an industrial heater, and painted the car in a controlled environment at 70 degrees instead of 55. Made a world of a difference !

The paint I used was Dupont 2k. Chromabase ( base coat ) and Chromaclear (clearcoat)

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1593778 by jtorral Yea. Some of the pictures have notes. But hard to find. I am creating a separate album on my own website with visible notes and chronological pictures.

But to answer the double dip question .....

Painted first time outside of controlled environment. Got loads of solvent pop. The temp was too cold and got runs on one side and finally a big bug landed on the door. That ticked me off and the next day I sanded the entire car again, build a booth, installed an industrial heater, and painted the car in a controlled environment at 70 degrees instead of 55. Made a world of a difference !

The paint I used was Dupont 2k. Chromabase ( base coat ) and Chromaclear (clearcoat)

We would intentionally double dip paint back when Urethane Single Stage was still readily available. We'd block the car the next day and shoot again. Benefit of that is it would produce a finish that was unbelievably wave free. I've had to do this several times because of failures in the paint booth also. I once had a pressure pot explode while I was spraying a Healey 3000 BJ8, it showered the entire booth with BRG dripping from the ceiling.

Anxious to see how this project progresses keep us posted.

GH

Midgnuts Avatar
Midgnuts Silver Member Dean Webb
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG Midget
1972 MG MGB    & more
Jorge,

You have certainly put 110% into that one. You are a patient,talented, and hard working guy.
Good job.
dw

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
ok. i added the photos to my own site and added notes. If you click on one the thumbs, it will open up the photo then scroll using the arrows on the photo. If there are note, they will appear underneath.

The paint job here https://www.triumphdrivers.com/album/1

The dash is here https://www.triumphdrivers.com/album/2

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
Started adding some chrome bits and trim smiling smiley

Attachments:
20190203_190830.jpg    32.9 KB
20190203_190830.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster