Spray glue and adhesive for Carpet and Trim

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drsmod Dan Smodic
Kalamazoo, MI, USA   USA
For those of you that have replaced carpet and trim and recommendations on spray glue and/or adhesive? Will be doing the job soon. thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
I think I used 3M 8088... Follow the directions, wet both pieces, let them dry to tacky, and adhere...

Scott

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
I used the 3M 8088 for the jute, carpet and "B" post vinyl and SprayWay 92 for the closed cell foam on the wheel arches. (Leave a gap for the seam. It will keep it from showing through and give you a guide to keep the seam straight.) Finally, I used 3M Super 90 to attach the vinyl to the foam on the arches. The advantage is that if you heat the vinyl with a heat gun, the 90 will release and you can re position it, The adhesive bonds again when it cools down. Without this feature, you will go batty trying to get it stretched into position without wrinkles before the adhesive grabs.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
008.JPG    51.5 KB
008.JPG

Scooter54 Avatar
Scooter54 Bob Johnson
Bethesda, MD, USA   USA
I used Polymat 777 upholstery adhesive on the MGB carpet and door panels. Works great and I could order on Amazon

Polymat 777 adhesive

drsmod Dan Smodic
Kalamazoo, MI, USA   USA
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have another question.

As I look at trim installation instructions from various resources, I notice that some recommend gluing the wheel arch foam to the wheel arches and then putting on the wheel arch trim over the foam or gluing the wheel arch foam to the wheel arch trim first and putting both together on the wheel arch and gluing down at edges. Any views as to what worked for you?

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Dan,

I read all those differing instructions and had a few failed attempts as a result. Rather than re-posting everything here, check out "What did you do with your TR4 today?" section, page 28, post 418. I used a mosh up of the instructions. A couple things I didn't post. The Moss suggestion is made to hide the seam, but gluing the foam to the vinyl means you have to stretch both into position at the same time. (Don't try, it doesn't work worth a damn!) My method both hides the seam and acts as a guide to keep it in a straight line. Once you glue down the 5" top piece, (yours may be different width) put tape over it so the second foam piece doesn't stick to it. I also used a piece of cord next to the top piece to give me a "cut line" for the second foam piece to create the gap. Finally, use the natural curl of the foam to your advantage by having it hold the foam away from the surface until you are ready to stick it down.

Good luck, it's one of the worst jobs out there!

Jim

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Dan,

Here are a couple photos that may help you understand my "instructions" regarding the 5 inch top piece and the cord. The first shows the foam piece and the masking tape used to only put adhesive where the top 5 inch piece goes. The second shows the cord that was put next to the 5 inch piece before the side foam was glued in place. In the photo, the side piece has already been trimmed along the cord and the tape removed from the top piece. The cord is being removed leaving the gap to hide the seam and and guide it's placement. Place the trimmed seam in the gap first as you are gluing it. Sorry the instructions aren't clearer.

Jim

Attachments:
010 (3).JPG    44.9 KB
010 (3).JPG

002 (2).JPG    22.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
Macy's Garage has some info on doing the wheel arches

I also used 3M '90' spray adhesive. It worked very well.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 02:35 PM by ArtL.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
I am not a big fan of spray adhesive. It is too easy to get adhesive in bad places. I have used Weldwood contact and like it and my real preference is Weldwood GEL formula. No drips or runs, it simply stays where I put it. To apply I purchase a few cheap throw-away bristle brushes in 1" to 2" widths. One or two are good for a day's work. And I don't have to clean up overspray. The other thing I use is adhesive backed Velcro for pieces I may want to remove to clean and then reinstall.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I used brush on contact cement. I think it was DAP brand not sure. Worked good for me and it's still on after 4 years

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
FYI

It's very difficult to get a decent photo of the arch seams. I happened to take a picture of the seat track to answer a different question for someone. It turns out it shows how using the foam groove helps keep the seam straight and eliminates the bulge from the seam folding over.

Jim

Attachments:
002.JPG    32.4 KB
002.JPG

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, VA, USA   USA
I am finally doing my interior. I started with the B-Pillar vinyl piece but stopped when it "felt weird, slimey and cold" on the outside after I sprayed it liberally with 3M-90 on the underside. I glued this one piece but I didn't go any further until I'm sure I'm using the right stuff.

Over a year ago, I did the dash successfully with the Weldewood contact cement.

What should i use on the wheel arch foam? I "really" don't want to screw those suckers up....

How important is it to remove all that brown crap on the wheel arches? I take it grease/wax/silicone remover would do the trick there, right?

Here's what I have at the ready (3M-77, 3M-90, Keystone Trim Adhesive, and Weldwood Contact Cement), but I can run out tomorrow morning if need be. What do you recommend for the whole interior? Gonna try and get it all in this weekend. (My seats are already done.)

Andrew

Attachments:
TR250 Adhesive 1.jpg    63.3 KB
TR250 Adhesive 1.jpg

TR250 Adhesive 2.jpg    60.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Scooter54 Avatar
Scooter54 Bob Johnson
Bethesda, MD, USA   USA
I like the Polymat 777. Worked great on all kind of odd shapes in my MGB and intend to use it on the TR6

Polymat 777

Not sure I would use the contact cement because it can be quite stubborn to remove.

bltriumph Steve Choquette
Erin, ON, Canada   CAN
just do not glue carpet to floor pans. use clips for a lack of a better word

NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
I used 3M spray adhesive. Seemed to work just fine.
I ran out, and also used some pray adhesive from Home Depot. Find it in the paint section, there were a few different ones.

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 12:37 PM by NHinNC.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster