AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, VA, USA   USA
Greetings,

I'd like to get a SSS for my trunk since I only have four matching wheels anyways and I've been driving around with no spare for the past three years. smiling smiley

Looks like I need a Space Saver Compact Spare 15" wheel 4-bolt x 114 pattern, size: T125x70D15 which can be found on a 1990-1997 Honda Accord Wagon which then gives you a cross reference for other Honda/Acura cars.

I called my local junkyard and they sounded pretty knowledgeable about Honda SSS's. They said the bolt pattern would be 115mm, not 114mm, but that "shouldn't make any difference." Anyone have experience with this?

Here's the article that tells you all about it....
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SpaceSaverSpare.htm

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ChoukyB Avatar
ChoukyB Serge Decorte
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Hi Andrew,

I just went through this exercise. Spent a lot of time and research and I went to junk yards here in San Diego and found one . Took 3 junk yards before I found one specialized in Japanese cars.
The bolt pattern is actually 4x114.3 mm and the rim is a 15"x6 and here is a list of vehicles that had the same pattern.

Honda: Accord EX, LX, Wagon 90-97; Accord 98 - 02, Prelude 92 - 96; EV Mini-van 97-on
Infiniti M30 90 - 92
Nissan: Altima 93-01, Maxima 85-88, 200SX & Turbo 84-88; 240SX 89-96
Acura: Legend 86-90; TL 2.5 95-on; Vigor 91-93

Now, not all of these had a donut / space saver but this is the list I gave to the yard guy and he knew right away where to look for. Paid $20. Fits great!

Volvo 40 series 98-03 also have the same pattern.

Hope that helps.

Serge

Yes No Thank
F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
The Danielson link says 114mm and the wrecking yard says they're 115mm. Either one of these is very close to the original 4.5" spacing. The 114mm is only off by .012" the 115mm would be off by .028. The 114mm would likely fit over the studs without an issue, not perfect but works.

Looks like the guy in San Diego for cars with the exact spacing. I'd follow his lead these appear to be the correct spacing.

GH

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
That is a great idea! As for speed the warning, years ago I drove truck coast to coast. On I-15 headed south to Ca out of Las Vegas, at over 70 MPH, a full size American sedan passed me by at least 15 MPH. It was wearing 2 of those temp spares. - Pete

Yes No Thank
ChoukyB Avatar
ChoukyB Serge Decorte
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Yes,

you have to check the pressure on these Space savers. Mine only had about 35 psi when I got it. Also , I had to modify tt should have 60 psi and you can only drive at 40mph with it.

Also I had to modify the hold-on rod and used one of the rim side hole to secure the SS. That leaves more space inside the trunk for storage.

Serge

Yes No Thank
LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
Check Bob Danielson’s site. I seem to recall that you had to use it on the rear due to offset and it rubbing the front suspension. If that is the case you still have a 50/50 chance but if you do get a front flat, you can move a rear wheel up and put the spare on the back. Also if I recall correctly it is a shorter tire so the car will dip in that direction.

I have a full size spare mounted bowl up and use the center and around the tire for storage. I also carry a can of fixaflat and a plug kit for nails. Really haven’t had to use it much.

For extra storage, I made a boot floor board out of 1/4” Masonite that goes all the way across the boot - wing to wing and I can store more parts, manuals and tools under it for trips then take it out and lower it for around town. The carpet is snapped to it in a similar manner as the original.

Yes No Thank
Dougdall Doug D
Burke, VA, USA   USA
I have 16 in wheels on my 6 and use a T125-70-D16 SSS off of a 2011 Sentra.

Cheers
Doug

Yes No Thank
A Brit in Bama Avatar
A Brit in Bama Keith Norrie
Eva, AL, USA   USA
I’ve run a space saver from an Accord (a 97 I think) for the past few years. It came with a 125/70 R15 tyre which worked, but was too small diameter in my opinion. It made the front lean too much, and clearly caused the diff to work hard at the rear. I know as I had to use it one time.

So, I found another wheel, this time with a 135/90 R15 tire, and had a shop switch them over. Now I have a space saver with 24.2” diameter, which is much closer to the 205/65 R15 tires I run.

I found both space saver wheels on eBay; I got one for $30, the other for just $18.

Depending on the space saver wheel construction, you may or not need a spacer at front (I don’t), but in any event, you really shouldn’t run these at front due to uneven braking performance.

I really like the increased boot space, and it feels like half the weight of the original spare when u have to get it out.

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
I'd rather leave something behind than have to put a space saver tire on my TR6.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
Santa Fe, NM, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Annie"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Polly"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 05:22 PM by The REAL Skip.

Yes No Thank
Santa Fe, NM, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Annie"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Polly"
In reply to # 1601059 by poolboy I'd rather leave something behind than have to put a space saver tire on my TR6.

Amen.

Yes No Thank
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
FWIW, another option is an original TR3-4 wheel. Clears all the suspension, even on the front.

And while you are certainly supposed to limit speed and distance; I drove on mine at 75-80 mph for over an hour with no apparent ill effect. A TR is a bunch lighter than the cars the tire is designed for, so heat buildup shouldn't be a problem.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601064 by The REAL Skip
In reply to # 1601059 by poolboy I'd rather leave something behind than have to put a space saver tire on my TR6.

Amen.

We're talking emergency here, not finishing the 24 hr of Le Mans.

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Still....

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1600958 by MonAndrew77 Greetings,

I'd like to get a SSS for my trunk since I only have four matching wheels anyways and I've been driving around with no spare for the past three years. smiling smiley

Looks like I need a Space Saver Compact Spare 15" wheel 4-bolt x 114 pattern, size: T125x70D15 which can be found on a 1990-1997 Honda Accord Wagon which then gives you a cross reference for other Honda/Acura cars.

I called my local junkyard and they sounded pretty knowledgeable about Honda SSS's. They said the bolt pattern would be 115mm, not 114mm, but that "shouldn't make any difference." Anyone have experience with this?

Here's the article that tells you all about it....
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SpaceSaverSpare.htm

If you would consider using the stock steel wheel for the TR6, here's one that fits in the trunk, even with the 15 gallon Boyd's gas tank!

Dick

Attachments:
Skinny Spare Tire.JPG    32.2 KB
Skinny Spare Tire.JPG

Spare tire specs.JPG    51.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster