Rear bumper

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ACMAUI Andy Herrera
Gig Harbor, WA, USA   USA
Hope this is not a past string, but I've been trying to find a new rear center section for my 69'. Rimmer, Moss, and English Parts all have a listing with, "back order". I emailed them all and one said they didn't know when the part would be available, but they were still willing to take a paid order, and one said the part had been back ordered for over a year, haven't heard back from the other, but I suspect they all used the same manufacturer. The PO said he hadn't replaced the part because he said he couldn't find one, and now I believe him. He had already replaced the two side pieces. I found a Fiat parts site that offers a three piece replacement in polished stainless steel for $600+ shipping, but I hate to go that route when I have $300 worth of side parts in perfect condition. Does anyone know of another alternative? Re-chroming the part is almost as expensive as the Fiat site. Does anyone have one in good condition for sale? Mine is totally pitted.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster
1970 Triumph TR6
1978 Triumph GT6 "Scooter"
1978 Triumph Spitfire "Scooter"    & more
Andy, the '69 should have the holes for the licences plate light, like all of them and I will check the condition of the couple I have for you.
You may be able to find one closer and I understand that.
Surprised it was that much to have that short of an area to be that expensive.
I'll check in a hour or so and get you some pictures.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yes No Thank
19381945 Silver Member Bob Allen
Port Orange, FL, USA   USA
Andy, I replaced both front and rear units on my ‘71 with the S/S ones you mentioned because to rechrome would have cost more than the 1K I paid for the S/S. I kept the old ones and the center rear is in good condition. If the one of the ones Wayne has meets your needs, go for it. If not, call me. We are almost equal distance from you.

Bob
386-763-4593

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6
Andy, here are some pictures of my best one. Two others that were really nice had the Amco holes for the sissy bars, which are long gone.
This one is a good driver quality, so I'm not trying to sale you something that is misrepresented.
If you are interested I'll take it apart and sent what ever you need for the joining brackets, pads and bolts.
Do have a look at Bob's and I will need $80 plus shipping for the center bar.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Attachments:
CIMG0367.JPG    36.2 KB
CIMG0367.JPG

CIMG0366.JPG    60.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CIMG0365.JPG    58.2 KB
CIMG0364.JPG    56.8 KB
Yes No Thank
ckilmer Avatar
ckilmer Callen K
Orangevale, CA, USA   USA
You might want to consider getting the '73 center section and adding the holes. The '73 shows as available at Moss and they have a sale on so you would get 10% off. Would need someone to chime in to make sure there are no other differences to you year other than the holes for the lights. I purchased the '73 center section from Moss for my early '74 when I removed the over riders for a clean look with no notches. I think the shape is the same for all center sections up to 74 1/2, but there are variations for license plate light holes, over rider notches and the triumph emblem. It would hurt to drill holes in a new bumper, but may solve your problem.
Callen

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1599713 by ckilmer You might want to consider getting the '73 center section and adding the holes. The '73 shows as available at Moss and they have a sale on so you would get 10% off. Would need someone to chime in to make sure there are no other differences to you year other than the holes for the lights. I purchased the '73 center section from Moss for my early '74 when I removed the over riders for a clean look with no notches. I think the shape is the same for all center sections up to 74 1/2, but there are variations for license plate light holes, over rider notches and the triumph emblem. It would hurt to drill holes in a new bumper, but may solve your problem.
Callen

I certainly would not mind drilling holes, but boy is that expensive. Even on sale before shipping it's $400. I think I'll go with one of the offers from our Florida brothers or pull the trigger on the $600 stainless steel full rear and then try to sell the two side pieces.

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1599634 by trrdster Andy, here are some pictures of my best one. Two others that were really nice had the Amco holes for the sissy bars, which are long gone.
This one is a good driver quality, so I'm not trying to sale you something that is misrepresented.
If you are interested I'll take it apart and sent what ever you need for the joining brackets, pads and bolts.
Do have a look at Bob's and I will need $80 plus shipping for the center bar.

It looks good in the pictures, does it have any pitting? I sure like your price and the shipping is what it is. I'll contact Bob and see what he thinks of his compared to yours. Thanks again!

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1599629 by 19381945 Andy, I replaced both front and rear units on my ‘71 with the S/S ones you mentioned because to rechrome would have cost more than the 1K I paid for the S/S. I kept the old ones and the center rear is in good condition. If the one of the ones Wayne has meets your needs, go for it. If not, call me. We are almost equal distance from you.

Bob
386-763-4593

Bob, how does yours compare to Wayne's pictures? Mine was just a west coast car for too long and it has heavy pitting. I'm surprised Florida isn't harder on these parts.

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6
Andy, it does look good in the pictures and any pitting is very small. It would not look near perfect next to a concourse one.
As you can see it does have a nice shine, but blow it up or I can take more pictures.
I cleaned it and did a little polish job, but a buffer with clay bars would bring it out to a 5 footer. It's really better than the one on my car.
If I do the wings and you don't want it, I'll put it on mine.
One thing I did notice, there are two holes below the licences plate light. It may have had the plate there. One of the things we have run across over the years is holes in a bumper that should not have been there.. The chrome bolts that were used on the early bumpers to hold uprights and such were put in there and it didn't look out of place. Talking driver cars. The Roadster is a different animal, if you haven't looked at my album then you will see what I mean and that may be your direction and if so I understand and go for it.
I hope one of us can help you.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Yes No Thank
19381945 Silver Member Bob Allen
Port Orange, FL, USA   USA
Andy, got my 71 from an Alabama dealer who got it from a Mississippi owner (still have the plate). I keep it in my garage with constant air circulation. Although my center section does not have any pitting it is not as shiny as Wayne’s. Best you go with his.
Bob

Yes No Thank
Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Team triumph 330-392-7176 most helpful .ps you can get a complete rear bumper assy out of Vietnam stainless for less than 600$ . Cheers Ken B

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1599766 by trrdster Andy, it does look good in the pictures and any pitting is very small. It would not look near perfect next to a concourse one.
As you can see it does have a nice shine, but blow it up or I can take more pictures.
I cleaned it and did a little polish job, but a buffer with clay bars would bring it out to a 5 footer. It's really better than the one on my car.
If I do the wings and you don't want it, I'll put it on mine.
One thing I did notice, there are two holes below the licences plate light. It may have had the plate there. One of the things we have run across over the years is holes in a bumper that should not have been there.. The chrome bolts that were used on the early bumpers to hold uprights and such were put in there and it didn't look out of place. Talking driver cars. The Roadster is a different animal, if you haven't looked at my album then you will see what I mean and that may be your direction and if so I understand and go for it.
I hope one of us can help you.

You sold me! It's worth the try. My email is andyh@penlight.org. Send me the details on how you would like to be paid and include the shipping to zip code 98332. I don't do Paypal, but I'll send you a check and you can wait until it clears before sending the section if that works for you. Thanks- Andy

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6
Andy, will pack it up and take to the post office or one of the big shippers to get you a good price.
Them I'll wait on a check to clear, sorry for that, just been burned a few times.
Will give you the details when I know the final.
Thanks, Wayne

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1600036 by trrdster Andy, will pack it up and take to the post office or one of the big shippers to get you a good price.
Them I'll wait on a check to clear, sorry for that, just been burned a few times.
Thanks, Wayne

Thanks Wayne, that will work fine. - Andy

Yes No Thank
ACMAUI Andy Herrera
In reply to # 1600036 by trrdster Andy, will pack it up and take to the post office or one of the big shippers to get you a good price.
Thanks, Wayne

Checks in the mail......no really, the checks in the mail.....seriously, the checks in the mail! :-)

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster