Really? $17.35 for a retro style radio?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
or earmark the money for a sandwich at the deli.
or a bouquet for flowers for spouse or loved one.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA

In reply to # 1601850 by sampattr250 AM radio cold be a deal breaker for me. I like to listen to the news on my way to work.

Other vintage style radios start at $199

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Car-Stereo-Radio-Vintage-70s-Style-AM-FM-iPOD-USB-Inputs-Bluetooth-CD/233134956429

This one is $239

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Look-Style-AM-FM-iPod-MP3-USB-NEW-Stereo-Radio-fits-Triumph-TR6-1969-76/233137307861

Rero Sound go for up to $429 + $50 for plate and knobs + + +

https://mossmotors.com/long-beach-radio-by-retrosound?252=1894&aid=30143

May be worth a shot. If not your only out $17.35 if you console is already cut to DIN size.

Sorry to hijack your post but no one is responding to mine in the the 250 section for a similar question.

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/tr5-and-tr250-forum.25/tr-250-modern-ish-radio.1600387/

I got one pm about kidney panel speakers.
Sampattr50, that $189 radio is a DIN radio as well.

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

Yes No Thank
lwjohnson777 Larry Johnson
Castaic, CA, USA   USA
For the price why not try? If it doesn't work, skip Starbucks for a couple of days and you're even.

Yes No Thank
maxd Avatar
maxd Bill Davenport
Fort Pierce, FL, USA   USA
Well since nobody else seemed up for it I just ordered one. We'll see.
Bill

+1 Yes No Thank
allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1603212 by maxd Well since nobody else seemed up for it I just ordered one. We'll see.
Bill

Great.. I am curious. I could use one in my TR6 and TR7.

Yes No Thank
ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
I had the $17.35 one in my car for about a month. I does look pretty good in a classic car, I was going to spray the chrome trim flat black.

Leave the remote in the box it's useless and you have to buy a $3 pack of batteries.

Sound and radio reception was OK.The "Simple" Bluetooth worked well with my iPhone.

The instructions are laughable, never could figure out how to set the clock.

After a month it started acting up, the volume would drop off by about 50% after about 15 minutes. Then it just started locking up and only removing all power would reset it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 10:50 AM by ExPatBrit.

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1603959 by ExPatBrit I had the $17.35 one in my car for about a month. I does look pretty good in a classic car, I was going to spray the chrome trim flat black.

Leave the remote in the box it's useless and you have to buy a $3 pack of batteries.

Sound and radio reception was OK.The "Simple" Bluetooth worked well with my iPhone.

After a month it started acting up, the volume would drop off by about 50% after about 15 minutes. Then it just started locking up and only removing all power would reset it.

Hmmm,
I know that our power supply, at least with the standard Lucas alternator can be VERY spiky and that can upset moder electronics.
I have had such problems in the past but just adding a capacitor on the power supply seemed to fix the problem.

Disclaimer: I know bugger all about electronics, but this is what I was advised.

Yes No Thank
ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1603969 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1603959 by ExPatBrit I had the $17.35 one in my car for about a month. I does look pretty good in a classic car, I was going to spray the chrome trim flat black.

Hmmm,
I know that our power supply, at least with the standard Lucas alternator can be VERY spiky and that can upset moder electronics.
I have had such problems in the past but just adding a capacitor on the power supply seemed to fix the problem.

Disclaimer: I know bugger all about electronics, but this is what I was advised.

Prior to this there was a modern Kenwood installed, no problems for 4 years but it just didn't match an old Triumph.

The locking up part could have been dirty 12 volt, although all the standard noise suppression capacitors were already there. The volume loss was probably an internal component heating up and failing, I was able to replicate volume loss on the bench even with a stable 12 volt supply.

At that point what is your time worth? confused smiley Having spent several hours on it, I went with something more $$. Seems to tolerate the Triumph electrics with no problem.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/din-size-usa-4-cd-radio.html?rrec=true

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster