Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SCguy Avatar
SCguy Lawrence Labrot
Colfax, CA, USA   USA
I noticed an odd sound from my driver's side trailing arm. So today I went in to check and found that one trailing arm stud was clearly loose. I tried to re-tork it but it was stripped as I suspected. The other studs re-torked ok. I ordered KeenSerts and Rick Patton's jig. My question is would you redo all 12 studs or just fix the one that isn't holding?

Larry

1975 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
I believe it's false economy not to do them all.

Ed

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
If you are going to the trouble of fixing one, do them all and you’ll probably never need to do that same job again.
While you have the hubs out for the job, do yourself the favor of ensuring your trailing arm bushings are in robust condition. Check the packing for the springs and the rubber on the shock links. It’s a good time to see that the shocks are well secured and the half shafts are lubed and the ujoints sound.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
I lucked out recently when removing my TAs and all 12 of my hub studs and nuts were in good shape. But my plan was that if at least one was bad I was going to take the TAs to a machine shop and getting all 12 done.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

SCguy Avatar
SCguy Lawrence Labrot
Colfax, CA, USA   USA
Here’s another question...
Once I make the repairs do I use locktight on the studs when inserting them into the keenserts? I’m thinking yes.

Larry

1975 Triumph TR6

ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Lockite shouldn't be necessary with proper torque, but it won't hurt anything. I wouldn't use the red (high strength) stuff.

Ed

LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
I would do all while you are in there. The thread lock in the keenserts will help them undo like they should.

Heave you checked your hubs for play? Good idea to do it every few thousand miles while the back wheels are inhe air.

SCguy Avatar
SCguy Lawrence Labrot
Colfax, CA, USA   USA
The hubs are new Goodpart hubs and I’ve new u-joints. Less than 5000 miles. The previous owner did the work but must have over tighten at less one of the studs. One was stripped and a couple were loose on the drivers side. The studs on the passenger side were all tight.

Larry

1975 Triumph TR6

LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
Ok good on the hubs

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster