AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
After many weeks of retrograde, corrective activity due to a hogged frame, I feel I am now making PROGRESS FORWARD for a change! Yesterday I got the chassis and running gear reassembled: today I finished up the reassembly, refitted the rear brake lines on the swing arms, installed the differential, etc, and took care of a few details I needed to correct- Then I dropped the body onto the frame, and it appears top be just about a proper fit! I may need to use two shims at the back, but no biggie- the bumper mounts will work fine...

I had put 2 metal shims and 2 rubber insulators on each of the body mounts on the outside rails: These made the body sit too high, so I pulled the metal shims: Now it sits right! The rear mounting points in the tub are resting directly on the rubber pads: There is a gap between the front ones and the pads, so I will probably introduce 1 shim each side, and see how it goes. I was very happy to see the engine bay side bolts drop right in with no argument, for the first time since I took it apart. The frontmost hold downs(at the radiator area) also fit just nicely...

I think I can start planning to finish her up again!

Scott

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
Great! I can only assume the feeling when you have a garage full of parts, and then the pile starts getting smaller, and the car starts looking like a car.

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

Yes No Thank
David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Congratulations! How are good are the door gaps now?

Yes No Thank
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Scott,

I'm happy you got things worked out. Just remember, there are always times when it feels like we work and work and get nothing done. Thankfully, those memories disappear when we look at a great accomplishment.

Jim

Yes No Thank
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Good to hear, Scott. How much did the tail ends of the frame come up in the "adjustment"?

Ed

Yes No Thank
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1338917 by ed.h Good to hear, Scott. How much did the tail ends of the frame come up in the "adjustment"?

Ed

Hi Ed- (And Thanks everyone for comments!) The ends of the frame came up by about 1-1/2" or so, each... I had measured the gap beforehand, so I had an idea of how much I needed them to move... I actually flipped the frame upside down on top of saw horses, and cut the frame behind the cruciform plates, and bent it down until I reached about the right alignment, then welded it back up. Took me two shots to get it right, but I think I did pretty well. I marked the floor, and then measured the starting height, calculated the drop, bent them & remeasured. I should know the final outcome tomorrow. If all is good, then I can finish the painting, and start installing doors, fenders, boot, bonnet, etc, wiring, and interior...

Soon,soon...

Scott

Yes No Thank
Scot1966 Avatar
Scot1966 Scot Bailey
Lebanon, CT, USA   USA
Good news ! Glad to hear you got the frame corrected. Im sure the disassembling and reassembling of the chassis took much longer than the actual repair to the frame. But what are you going to do...It had to be done, right ?! It's never nice to do things twice. Ask me how I know.

Yes No Thank
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Well, I FINALLY had the opportunity to work on the TR tonight, and I got the whole body bolted down: Door openings are just about precisely 39 1/2", as mentioned as desirable in a different post(my other thread), ALL bolts are in and tight, and I have only one shim on each side at the back. I do have two on the axle crossmember mounts, but that is what was there in the beginning. I have NO metal shims between the rubber insulators and the body on the outrigger mountings, and that is about the only deviation- every other position has the specified shim arrangement...

I THINK I have achieved SUCCESS with my frame alterations! The left rear rail was still a half an inch inboard of where it should have been(despite being exactly the dimension the book called for) but it was a very easy pry to shift it into position & get the bolt in.

Tomorrow I'll add the bumper mountings, reinstall t he engine bits I had to pull to strip the engine from the frame, etc(radiator, front bar) and maybe start painting the bonnet & bootlid and hinges, and the inside of the doors, etc...

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 08:52 PM by ng19delta.

Yes No Thank
Midgnuts Avatar
Midgnuts Silver Member Dean Webb
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG Midget
1972 MG MGB    & more
Scott - that pic looks like my 72 3 yrs ago.
If u run into any problems as u proceed don't hesitate to contact me. I'm no expert but I've probably been there done that as I've been putting mine back together.
Finishing up a couple minor elec. problems and getting ready to start carpet and interior. Hopefully on the road by spring.
Good luck,
DW

Attachments:
eztr6.JPG    13.3 KB
eztr6.JPG

Yes No Thank
SteveKJR Steve KJR
Stockbridge, GA, USA   USA
Congratulations - all good things come to those who work to make it happen, and what you have completed was no easy task. Well done.

Yes No Thank
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Thanks, All!

I rechecked the door gap, and while the passenger side was fine, the driver side was a hair out, so I added another shim to that side, and it fixed her right up... Doors are basically hung on at the moment- I looking good so far! However, rain today has curtailed my warpoling activities...

Scott

Yes No Thank
hounut Mike L
AB, Canada   CAN
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
I'm really glad you got it right Scott, I was getting worried. Congrats! You can breathe now.

Mike

Yes No Thank
Scot1966 Avatar
Scot1966 Scot Bailey
Lebanon, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1340108 by ng19delta Thanks, All!

I rechecked the door gap, and while the passenger side was fine, the driver side was a hair out, so I added another shim to that side, and it fixed her right up...

Scott

Was the "hair out" a bigger than desired gap at the top of the door ? Also, was the additional shim to correct that placed at the rearmost part of the frame ?

Yes No Thank
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1340203 by Scot1966

I rechecked the door gap, and while the passenger side was fine, the driver side was a hair out, so I added another shim to that side, and it fixed her right up...

Scott

Was the "hair out" a bigger than desired gap at the top of the door ? Also, was the additional shim to correct that placed at the rearmost part of the frame ?

Yes, and yes- It was at 39 3/4"(had been 39 1/2 when I first set it, but as everything relaxed into place, it opened) and adding the one spacer at the rearmost position brought it right back.

Side note, as I could not find the body to frame mount torque, I torqued all hold down bolts & nuts to 14 ft/lb., which is what it calls for in the manual for the axle crossmember to body bolts.

Scott

Yes No Thank
Scot1966 Avatar
Scot1966 Scot Bailey
Lebanon, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1340240 by ng19delta
In reply to # 1340203 by Scot1966

Scott

Yes, and yes- It was at 39 3/4"(had been 39 1/2 when I first set it, but as everything relaxed into place, it opened) and adding the one spacer at the rearmost position brought it right back.

Scott

Glad to hear it came right back in. I am just gathering information from what you're going through. I am preparing myself for my body mounting experience - The dread of it that is. My gaps are pretty good right now, but when it time for the body to be mounted it may all change quickly ! Glad yours is looking good !!

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster