NOISY TRANSMISSION

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JimmyH Silver Member Jim H
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
Slowly but surely I am sorting through a ’70. The frame is in great shape and there is next to no rust on the body. Mechanically, it has the wear and tear of a 48 year old. Next on the list is the transmission/clutch. The transmission is noisy in 1st, 2nd and to a lesser extent 3rd gear. There is not much noise in 4th. When underway in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear there is a whirring grinding kind of sound. If I place the palm of my hand on top of the gear lever, with slight downward pressure, the noise abates. While stationary, in neutral, with the clutch disengaged (pedal depressed), no noise. When the clutch is engaged (pedal released), noise. It sounds like what you would think a worn-out bearing would sound like. After reading other posts on this site, it might be any one or more of the following: TOB, counter shaft wear, input shaft bearing or u-joint/differential issues.
First, I’m going to change the fluid. Can anyone recommend a brand and type? At the same time I will look for metal shavings at the bottom of the box. I doubt this will remedy the problem and that I will need to have the gearbox rebuilt. Is there any other work which should be done when the transmission is rebuilt? Can anyone recommend a transmission shop in the St. Louis, MO region? If not, who is the best at rebuilding?
Thank you for your time reading this and I appreciate any advice!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Drain the gearbox ,overdrive? I use 80/90 gear oil .replace drain plug (s) with magnetic ,don't overfill ,take it out for a spin and keèp your fingers crossed .trf sells a rebuild kit and with the help of a friendly transmission shop that you trust you can rebuild it yourself .Overdrive of course complicates things ,there are several shops nationally that specialize in British gearboxes as well . Best of luck .

Yes No Thank
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Very likely the countershaft; in fact I wouldn't even bother changing the oil. Keeping the oil changed might have helped it live longer, but the damage is done now.

If you do think you might want to tackle it yourself, I suggest reading through the articles at
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/gearbox

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster