Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Reinstalled gearbox and motor on my 73 TR6, when I removed the gearbox months ago I seen that the reverse switch was wired but not the neutral safety switch, looking at my electrical drawing it looks like that switch also goes back to seat belt module, could be a problem with that unit, not sure why previous owner did not have this wired, has anyone had experience with this switch, and wiring it correctly? I checked the switch with an ohm meter and know it functions ok. Thanks.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
stevejahr Steve Jahr
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
Is a neutral safety switch really necessary? Or is NOT having one another level of millennial anti-theft device added to the manual transmission level?

(actually curious on opinions on this one as I have been considering whether to include this particular feature in my rewire project)

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
From what I understand the purpose of the switch is if you are in gear and do not push in the clutch and turn on the key to start the car it will not try to start, without the clutch pushed in and in gear the car will move, so to answer your question as long as you are in neutral or when you are in gear the clutch is pushed in, no need for the switch. I just thought while I had mine apart I would get some opinions on this.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
TR6's did not have a switch that prevented starting the engine unless the clutch pedal was depressed...in gear or not, no such thing, Joe.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
And why is anyone starting with the clutch pushed in? A clutch is for changing gears, nothing else. If you drove an MGB you would have heard this many times. B throwout bearings wear rapidly with use.

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
What is the purpose of the neutral safety switch ?

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
It doesn't do the TR6's crankshaft thrust washers any good either...so they say.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
stevejahr Steve Jahr
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
Hmm. I was always taught to push in the clutch before hitting the starter. It reduces the load on the starter to not have to turn gears in the transmission.

Interesting thought about the thrust washers before oil pressure has come up though.

I thought the later TR6 *did* have a functional NSS that disabled the starter? (true not on clutch pedal though - only on gear shift)

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
In reply to # 1601913 by j007 What is the purpose of the neutral safety switch ?

Looking at the schematic, my guess is it has something to do with the seatbelt, Joe.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
SCTRguy Avatar
SCTRguy Jeff F
Irmo, SC, USA   USA
Hi Joe, On the '74, the NSS sends a signal to the Seat Belt Module, which will prevent the Starter Relay from powering the starter solenoid (that is, if all that 40+ year-old stuff is working). Like Poolboy said, looks like that switch powers a buzzer if you're in gear and the seat belts are not buckled. I don't have a factory wiring diagram for '73, but probably was called something else.

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Thanks to all for the info.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
One of the worst things you can do for thrust washer wear is start the car with the clutch in, specially after extended inactivity - very little lube on the TW and lots of friction. I start the car in neutral and shift into neutral and let the clutch out at traffic lights and other stops then shift into first when the light changes to green.

I would keep that switch and the buzzer disconnected. It’s a PITA and one more thing to fail that’s not easy to get to.

Yes No Thank
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601917 by stevejahr
Steve --- True enough, not having to turn gears in the gear box when starting the engine, especially when the oil here is thick and cold, would reduce the drag in starting. Also good when your battery happens to be low, for some reason. There is also some safety factor some car companies insist that the clutch pedal be depressed when starting the engine. Other than that, consensus here is to start the engine with the clutch engaged, gear box in neutral.

Dick

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster