Loud cracking noise left rear

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
After 48 miles and still not drove over 40 mph I have another problem that i could use help with.I get a very loud cracking noise that actually sounds like it is coming from or directly behind driver rear wheel. It is not a roaring grind but a loud crackle/crackling noise.planning on jacking tomorrow and start looking. Has anyone had anything similar. Before driving we greased all universals and checked for any play. We thought all looked good???

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
Mike, check the brackets on the differential carefully, notorious for cracking if they haven't been reinforced yet.

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

Yes No Thank
Brett E Avatar
Brett E Brett Evans
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Scarlet Harlot"
Check the bushes where the lever arm shocks attach to the trailing arms. These wear out and get pretty noisy. If these are good, move to the front of the trailing arm where it attaches to the frame. Check for cracks/play. Check the frame crossmember where the top of the rear road spring attaches.

Nostalgia is the longing for things that never were

Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
Just came in after jacking rear and placing jack stands. I started car and gently run thru gears and could not get noise. I checked bolts on trailing arms to find them very loose. All universals looked good and to me there is no excessive play. I will start again in morning checking for cracks , etc
I will take photo and try to attach...thanks for the help

Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
Will check all tomorrow and try to attach photos..thanks for the help

Yes No Thank
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I would drop the diff. Very common for the TR6 frame to crack up there; but you can't see it with the diff in the way. We checked on a buddy's car "just because" : looked fine before we got the diff down, then it was obvious the pin was just about ready to fall out!

This isn't his car, just the first "before" photos that Google came up with
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?56486-TR-6-Differential-Mounts-Not-a-pretty-sight!

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Yes No Thank
LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
This may be obvious but tighten the TA bolts and take it for another ride to see.

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
You've been given a number of things to check and here's another one.
If you have the original style rear differential mount, it will have a metal sleeve in the center.
If it becomes 'unbonded' from the surrounding rubber, it will make a metallic 'clanking' noise when it contacts the pin running thru it..
Anyway,that sound might not be the 'cracking' sound you describe but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
https://mossmotors.com/rubber-mounting-rear?assoc=47158

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
I have checked all brackets and looked and tightened every bolt and inspected every seam. So far I found nothing except where trailing arm bolts to bracket in front of rear wheel. We tried rocking car and pushing up and down on car while placing hand on trailing arm . When doing this we felt and heard noise. So we loosened the bolt on front if trailing arm on both sides and heavily sprayed wd 40 on the rubber bushings. Took the car for a drive and the cracking noise was reduced by about 50 percent. Is it possible with Car setting 18 years the rubber could have dried to the point it may be making my noise? I am going to try to post photos

Yes No Thank
Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
I found the 2 bolts loosened on a rear lever shock on the frame, retightened it. More if a loud clunk than crack but worth checking.

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

Yes No Thank
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
TA bushings an inexpensive DIY, but time consuming.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
Thanks to all for the info. I believe I will order all new bushings for rear suspension. I will post my results..thanks again

Mike

Yes No Thank
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Mike, to be a repeating cracking sound seems like a universal joint to me. check for rust around the u-joint rubbers, a sure sign of a bad joint. sometimes you can't turn the wheel hard enough (up on stands) to detect the play or make a noise.

+1 Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
I have not checked those but I will before ordering new bushings. Test driving today I coasted car down a paved grade with clutch in and the cracking noise would come and go. I can put car in first at idle speed and get cracking when I accelerate . I can push up and down on rear of car to get a good bounce and not get the noise. I can rock car in gear forward and backward with quite a bit of force and get cracking noise. I can place hand on front of trailing arm. Bounce car and feel a vibration but no cracking. The frame
Bolts and underneath if car still has that frame off appearance of no rust, bolts, nuts etc look almost new... .absolutely no clunking noise...

Yes No Thank
Mikerr09 Mike R
Vienna, WV, USA   USA
Resolved...dry bushings ..few days of soaking with WD40 all the loud cracking has stopped

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster