Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cef911f1 Silver Member Charles Ferrell
Rock Hill, SC - South Carolina, USA   USA
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into restoring my '71. I'm still in the planning/part acquisition mode and would like to solicit some other's opinions. I'm doing a frame off so, since I really dislike its current color and interior because I live in the southeast where it's hot (Saffron Yellow/Black), I'm planning to change both. Although I haven't bought the paint yet, I'm planning on painting it Signal Red. I have purchased Moss's "Custom Deluxe Vinyl Interior Kit" in Honey Tan. I also bought the matching leather seat cover and black wool carpet. The attached picture is from Moss's Installation guide and shows what I'm hoping to achieve.

TRF's Caramel Tan (Bisque) tops are close in color to the interior. Should I stick with the black top or go with the Caramel Tan? Also, is the Everflex worth the money over the Robbins tops? Is one easier to install over the other?

I should mention that I already have a good soft top boot and a tonneau cover; both in black. I should also mention that I plan to do almost all of the work myself. I'm not a novice but this will be the most challenging project to date due to the extensive body work that needs to be done. The other two pics I've included are also my vehicles which I have restored. (Sorry, both are German. The Bug is a driver quality job but the 911 is concours level.)

Yes, we like red. The wife's Mini is also red but our two DDs (Jeeps) are both black.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
TR6 Interior.jpg    60.5 KB
TR6 Interior.jpg

2012-06-02_11.55.53.jpg    60.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0412.JPG    85.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
  trrdster thanked cef911f1 for this post
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
P-car looking good.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked Uberxy for this post
Thanks. I bought it new in '86. Daily drove it until the late nineties. At 142K I took it down to a bare body shell and rebuilt/restored everything. Now, it doesn't get used much.

I'm still working on the '65 Bug. It needs a bit of mechanical sorting and I'm not happy with the interior yet. I have a new kit for it (changing color scheme) and when I have time... Right now, the TR and the wife's Mini are in my shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 09:23 AM by cef911f1.

Yes No Thank
spridgettr Avatar
spridgettr William Kern
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
everflex worth the extra $ good ? still vinyl that will shrink and crack.... Go with sunfast and IMO top matching interior is nice.....my TR6 "sunfast" top is 20+ yrs old and looks brand new

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked spridgettr for this post
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Charles, VW bugs are never done! I think the same is true with our Triumphs. I have the light tan top to match my interior, I liked it at first but now I think it looks like a chicks car.

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Charles, first off, nice cars On the top, we finished up a Spit6 with the tan interior and top and that was a year or so ago. We just took the tan top off and will be installing a black one shortly. The car is Red and the tan top was a little too much.
With the black carpet the tan top cover did not seem out of place and the full black doesn't make any difference to the interior, as it doesn't show.
Don't have any pictures on hand, sorry.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked trrdster for this post
LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
I would think a fan top is harder to keep clean and tan versus a black one. My top is always down, the only time I put it up is if I get caught in the rain so if you are like me, it won’t matter much.

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked LFMTR4 for this post
Is the Sunfast top harder to install? I would think that it doesn't stretch as easy as the vinyl.

Wait, at my age, in 20 years, I'll probably be ten to fifteen years past my use by date. Longevity is probably not on my "pro-con" chart, lol.

Yes No Thank
Those are two very good points.

Yes No Thank
I was leaning toward the tan top but your comment along with the others have me rethinking that.

In the early '70s I bought my first sports car. It was a '68 Spitfire which I converted to a Spitsix in the auto shop of the base I was stationed at (USMC). When I got out, I sold it and bought a '71 Spit simply because I liked the body styling better. Those two Triumphs started me on a journey thru life always owning at least one sports car. I went from Triumphs to Datsun "Z" cars to Corvettes to a RX7 and then Porsches. I guess I've come full circle. Plus, I've always wanted another convertible since owning the Spits.

Yes No Thank
malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
I would go for a black top in the best material that I could afford...Keep away from vinyl and use material that is dense and flexible. Perhaps a Double Duck material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 06:46 PM by malbaby.

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked malbaby for this post
Thank you for your input. So far, everyone seems to think I should stick with the black. As far as I know, the top that's on it now is not the original top. It's black and appears to be canvas, as it has a couple of rips in it and naturally, the rear window is seriously clouded. Since it doesn't have the side stripes, I'm assuming it's been changed at least once. Do you know if installing a canas top is any more difficult than installing a vinyl one? I understand the durability advantage of canvas but teh cost is rather high and the only time the top is likely to be up is if I'm caught out in the rain or the car is hibernating for the winter.

Yes No Thank
gbtr6 Avatar
gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
What's wrong with Saffron yellow for the body? There are millions of red ones. I like that my Mimosa yellow car is yellow. I also have the chestnut interior. Black top would be my choice no matter the body color. I have an Amco vinyl top that looks nearly new, and it was installed in '98. It's unique now and it's a nice color. Otherwise, the wedgewood blue is great too. Just my two cents.

Perry

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked gbtr6 for this post
Thanks for the feedback. I just really, really dislike Saffron Yellow. And, we obviously like red cars as other than my two black Jeeps, everything else in the stable is red. I chose Signal Red because it is correct for '71. The green for '71 was Laurel Green and the blue was Royal Blue and I'm not a big fan of either one.

It certainly seems like black for the top is the color of choice. I take it your Mimosa Yellow with the Chestnut interior has a black top. I had a yellow '68 Spitsix back in the day. After that I owned a white '72 Spitfire.

I'm glad you're Amco vinyl top is holding up well. I've pretty much decided that I will go with the Robbins top purely due to cost. I don't have an unlimited budget for this project and I would rather spend the delta in top costs on other improvements. Besides, if the Robbins vinyl holds up anywhere near as long as your top has, at my age it will likely out live me, lol.

Yes No Thank
Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve W
Buckeye, AZ, USA   USA
I would totally stay with Saffron exterior color over red. Such a period correct color. But, since I'ts not my money, I don't get a vote!
Seriously, pick whatever color exterior you like, but don't reject the original Saffron color without at least thinking about it.

For the top, canvas really classes things up. If you will rarely have the top up, just go with vinyl and save a few $'s.
I'd keep the top the same color as the interior. Again, no right or wrong answer.

Good luck !

+1 Yes No Thank
  cef911f1 thanked Sierra 6 for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster