Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BRAVOZULU9 Christian Ballester
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
Good morning gents,

As my newly purchased TR6 has a bit of rear end/driver side sag, I think I might add a lever shock and spring replacement to my project list. I'll have a week in March where I can take my time to get a few things done.

With that said, I'm looking at ordering a set of rebuilt lever shocks (they are $77 ea after core exchange) and a new set of springs.

Although I've searched the forum, I haven't found a comprehensive post to guide me through this. Does anyone know of such a step-by-step?

Also, in the mean time, I think I may top-off the lever shocks with oil. Can anyone comment on the type of oil; I've been reading it should be 20w motorcycle fork oil. Should I completely drain, flush, and re-fill or is topping off sufficient for now?

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Literally just found a great YouTube video on this topic....so I suppose I've answered my own question!

Video is here:

In reply to # 1593756 by BRAVOZULU9 Good morning gents,

As my newly purchased TR6 has a bit of rear end/driver side sag, I think I might add a lever shock and spring replacement to my project list. I'll have a week in March where I can take my time to get a few things done.

With that said, I'm looking at ordering a set of rebuilt lever shocks (they are $77 ea after core exchange) and a new set of springs.

Although I've searched the forum, I haven't found a comprehensive post to guide me through this. Does anyone know of such a step-by-step?

Also, in the mean time, I think I may top-off the lever shocks with oil. Can anyone comment on the type of oil; I've been reading it should be 20w motorcycle fork oil. Should I completely drain, flush, and re-fill or is topping off sufficient for now?

Thanks!

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
This is a very easy job

Jack up car. Remove wheel. Put a jack under the trailing arm and raise it a few inches. Remove the nut that secures the shock link to the trailing arm. Lower trailing arm with jack and the spring will almost fall out. If not put some downward pressure on TA and wiggle the spring out. You can also remove the shock at this point.

Reassembly is reverse. Make SURE the spring and the top and bottom new bushings are correctly seated in the perches as you raise TA with jack to reattach the shock link bolt.

If you measure your ride height before and after and find a difference, your camber will be different.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:57 AM by Uberxy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
That's a 'Chef Tush' video....one of many he produces...
And btw, he's on this Forum as well.
Moss TV has some good ones too, but you're absolutely going to need Owners Repair manuals...The Bentley publication, the Haynes publication.
https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/books-videos/bentley-shop-manual-tr6-and-tr250
https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Tr5-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/0857336479
And this one is one you'll either be glad you have it or wish you had it..
https://mossmotors.com/electrical-maintenance-handbook

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

I do have the Haynes Manual and a couple of others thanks to a member here on the site. The Haynes is good but this video certainly helps visualize some of the steps even more. I'll be following his online presence for more tips.

In reply to # 1593805 by poolboy That's a 'Chef Tush' video....one of many he produces...
And btw, he's on this Forum as well.
Moss TV has some good ones too, but you're absolutely going to need Owners Repair manuals...The Bentley publication, the Haynes publication.
https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/books-videos/bentley-shop-manual-tr6-and-tr250
https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Tr5-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/0857336479
And this one is one you'll either be glad you have it or wish you had it..
https://mossmotors.com/electrical-maintenance-handbook

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Glad the video was helpful.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

tr6easyrider Avatar
tr6easyrider Joe S
Riverside, CA, USA   USA
Here's some more (while I'm in there) help!!!!
https://www.scribd.com/document/92509/Trailing-Arm-Bushings-Final
For future reference
https://www.scribd.com/doc/842185/Front-Suspension-Rebuild#
We Have Your '6'!

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
New springs might level the car. Might not. There's a ton of info on it if you do a search. I went after it on my car with the front but gave up and put in these.
https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=15

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
The video probably covers it but you want a mineral oil in there. I used Harley fork oil, 30 weight for a little stiffer ride. If your levers aren’t leaking a clean and new oil may do the trick. The are also spring spacers you can order, inserting one on the driver’s side might get rid of the “batchelor sag”.

Thanks very much, Tush! It sure will be when I move on this project!

Can I ask you what type and size of tires and wheels you have on your TR6? Really like that look!

Best,

Christian

In reply to # 1593869 by M. Pied Lourd Glad the video was helpful.

Cheers
Tush

Thanks for the advice Steve, especially on the new bushings - I hadn't considered that! Any recommendations on suppliers with part #s for those?

In reply to # 1593766 by Uberxy This is a very easy job

Jack up car. Remove wheel. Put a jack under the trailing arm and raise it a few inches. Remove the nut that secures the shock link to the trailing arm. Lower trailing arm with jack and the spring will almost fall out. If not put some downward pressure on TA and wiggle the spring out. You can also remove the shock at this point.

Reassembly is reverse. Make SURE the spring and the top and bottom new bushings are correctly seated in the perches as you raise TA with jack to reattach the shock link bolt.

If you measure your ride height before and after and find a difference, your camber will be different.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Hi Christian,

On my TR6 I have Konig Rewind Rims, Graphite with Polished Lip. They are 16x7. For tires I’m running 205/60/16 Yokohama Avid Tires.

I’m using Goodparts Lowered Springs with a 1/2 inch spacer front and rear.

Here’s the same rims on my TR250.

Cheers,
Tush

In reply to # 1593953 by BRAVOZULU9 Thanks very much, Tush! It sure will be when I move on this project!

Can I ask you what type and size of tires and wheels you have on your TR6? Really like that look!

Best,

Christian

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

Attachments:
11F1C431-F47E-47A4-B000-62063B19EF90.jpeg    53.8 KB
11F1C431-F47E-47A4-B000-62063B19EF90.jpeg

Man, that's a great looking 250-thanks Tush!

Can you tell me what the benefit is of the lowered springs with spacer set-up? By lowered spring, are they the 390/ or 470/ sets? I also see the spacers on Good Parts site but what about the Spring Packing he also sells?

Apologies for my ignorance - this is my first TR and first British car for that matter. I'm accostomed to Jeeps so the lingo and parts support is a bit overwhelming!

Thanks very much!

Christian

In reply to # 1593973 by M. Pied Lourd Hi Christian,

On my TR6 I have Konig Rewind Rims, Graphite with Polished Lip. They are 16x7. For tires I’m running 205/60/16 Yokohama Avid Tires.

I’m using Goodparts Lowered Springs with a 1/2 inch spacer front and rear.

Here’s the same rims on my TR250.

Cheers,
Tush

In reply to # 1593953 by BRAVOZULU9 Thanks very much, Tush! It sure will be when I move on this project!

Best,

Christian

Cheers
Tush

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Hi Christian,

The spring packing are placed directly on both ends of each coil spring before you install them back on the car into their “pockets”. The spring packing prevents metal to metal contact and mitigates wear in these areas.

Yes, I have the 390/470 set up from Goodparts. I added the 1/2 inch spacer back in as I was concerned with tire rub mainly on the front fenders with the lowered springs...it was just a bit too close for comfort. I added the rears at a later date just to get the car sitting more level with the front.

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

elwood Elwood Manteno
Highland Park, NE Illinois, USA   USA
WRT your car sagging in the rear, another cause of rear end sag on a TR6 is worn bushings in the trailing arms. The bushings are rubber, with a
steel sleeve running through the rubber. Over time, the trailing arm cuts through the rubber down to the metal sleeve. This will affect ride height as well as
camber. Start with the springs and shocks. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, you know where to look next.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster