AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Melvin"
I am installing the steering arms and caliper brackets today. There is no engine so there is no weight on the suspension but..
The steering arm bolts hit the spring at full lock. Will this be ok once there is weight on the springs?

20190304_143011 by Firebird2, on Flickr

20190304_143027 by Firebird2, on Flickr

20190304_143043 by Firebird2, on Flickr

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Genoa Bay Eric W
Genoa Bay, BC, Canada   CAN
Did you replace the dampers (shock absorbers)? Others have found that the replacement Monroe units free length is excessive allowing more droop. I’m sure there will be no clearance issues when the suspension is loaded but there could be a worry if while driving and you waive a tire in the air! It happens.
Some have found the Koni’s to be the correct length. This reportedly was a Rimmer supply problem, but who knows where these Monroe units are coming from.

Yes No Thank
dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
Yep. The Dampers are new. They came TRF, spring pads, trunnions, ball joints and all bushings along with all the nuts and bolts. All new

Yes No Thank
Genoa Bay Eric W
Genoa Bay, BC, Canada   CAN
Can you compare the extended length of the old damper to the new, if you still have them.

Yes No Thank
dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
I really don't think it will make any difference. I can compare the two but the spring is holding the lower a arm as far down as it will go. It's position did not change in the least when I installed the damper.
The damper will certainly not compress the spring

+1 Yes No Thank
  Tom-wedge thanked dk pony for this post
Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
David- can you get the camera back a bit and shoot from the front with the axle 90 degrees out (pointed straight to the side) and then locked left and locked right?
PK

Yes No Thank
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
is the spring and pad seated correctly in the top perch? maybe it's the angle of the photo, but in your third picture the shock does not seem to be in the middle of the spring. I had both sides of my front suspension off last week and I seem to recall that the springs were centered on the shock. Mine are TRF shocks also. No interference.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 06:43 PM by Uberxy.

Yes No Thank
dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
The springs are somewhat bowed to the outside of the car. Like this "( )" although not near as pronounced as that. As mentioned before there is no weight at all on the suspension nor is the Anti-Sway bar connected or the steering links.

Yes No Thank
Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
David- as I hope this photo will illustrate, the bolts and nuts securing the suspension and brake components, even when in the unladen condition, should not contact the spring. The photo shows the suspension- Left front- locked to the right side. I can send the same locked to the left, but the result is the same. You should be able to put your index finger between the nut/bolt and the spring with the suspension locked.
You should re-examine the components and then if everything is put together according to Hoyle (that is Bentley or Haynes-r.i.p.), check to see if the stationary components have been misaligned, perhaps through a prior owner's collision. If you have a chance to rephotograph with some more light/detail, it might help, but I wasn't able to identify (with these old eyes) where the problem lies. PK

Attachments:
Left front suspension locked to right.JPG    14.3 KB
Left front suspension locked to right.JPG

Yes No Thank
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
David,
Rotate the spring so it won’t interfere with the bolts at rest. Doesn’t solve your problem completely, but...
Rut

Yes No Thank
dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
Here's an odd thought.
I just noticed that Moss lists different part numbers for the front and rear lower wishbones.

Moss pictures one that fits the R/F and L/R and then a different number that fits the L/F and R/R. Can anyone point out the difference?

This is the way I installed the wishbones. Is this right?

20190201_194517 by Firebird2, on Flickr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 10:06 PM by dk pony.

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
David, check out drawing from Moss, look at part I.D. and it shows picture of front and rear wishbone, you can see the difference.

https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/suspension-steering/front-suspension-9

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 1600190 by j007 David, check out drawing from Moss, look at part I.D. and it shows picture of front and rear wishbone, you can see the difference.

https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/suspension-steering/front-suspension-9

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see the difference. I remember setting all four of those side by side and wondering if they were different. They all looked identical to me.
Maybe I am being a bit thick here but I just don't see the difference.

Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
When you ordered them did you order a front and rear? If you set them next to one another you should see a difference, when I did mine last year, I just re bushed my originals , here is a picture.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Attachments:
front suspension.jpg    49.6 KB
front suspension.jpg

Yes No Thank
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Any chance you put the taller rear spring in the front?

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster