Help with steering column

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
Hello All, I am putting everything back together on my early 1972 and have a question on the proper position of the steering column. Almost all the good pictures I have seen on line are for later models that have a bulging area on the engine side of the firewall where the column comes through. The earlier cars did not have the convex area where that firewall hole is located.
I know I need to put the locking clamp on at the firewall, but it is not obvious where it goes in relation to the silver cover and plastic washer. Bentley does not give that measurement either.
It would be helpful if someone could give me a pretty good measurement of the column distance from the wooden dash facia to where the escutcheons for the direction signals go, which would then have the engine side of the column in the position to put the locking clamp in place.
I might be missing something simple and would appreciate some guidance. Please see the pictures below as this is where I have it placed right now.
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
FB3571A0-E0B0-4E3D-A949-B868CB380024.jpeg    50.1 KB
FB3571A0-E0B0-4E3D-A949-B868CB380024.jpeg

6AC75926-A8C6-4EA7-A5E7-FCB5AD45011A.jpeg    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
19381945 Silver Member Bob Allen
Port Orange, FL, USA   USA
Jim, I have an early ‘71 and measured the distance from top of facia opening to column (1/4”) and right and left sides, each being approximately 1/8”. As for the engine side, looks exactly like mine. Make sure you have room for spoon that protects the wiring.
Bob

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Thanks Bob, I am thinking that I must be pretty close, but I did not want to start tightening everything up until I was sure.
Could I ask for one more measurement?
As you know, the column will move forward and backward when sitting in the brackets that are used to tighten it in place. If I had the measurement of the column from the dash to the escutcheons for the lights and direction signals, I would then know I am in the correct spot.
I am talking about the inside edge of the escutcheons where I show the black cable tie in the picture below back to the wood dash.
I slipped my dash in to measure the distance I have now and it was 1.25”. If that is about what you have, I should be good.
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2808E558-F9B4-4A34-A5E4-85DFA5081DE6.jpeg    43.5 KB
2808E558-F9B4-4A34-A5E4-85DFA5081DE6.jpeg

19381945 Silver Member Bob Allen
Port Orange, FL, USA   USA
Jim, did a measurement on top of column dash to escutcheons and it is 1 and 7/8”.
Bob

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Thanks Bob, that means I need to come in a little more. Precisely what I needed!
Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster