Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Goodbye Bonnet and Boot Prop Rods (Not for purists)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A Brit in Bama Avatar
A Brit in Bama Keith Norrie
Eva, AL, USA   USA
Having to walk around the car to disengage the prop-rod on the bonnet has always been a minor irritation. So when I heard that Clark & Clark Speciality Products (best known for Spitfire parts, but also purveyors of the upgraded TR6 central console, and those clever cup-holders that clip onto the gear shifter surround) had come up with gas-strut kits for the TR6 (both bonnet and boot), I had to give them a try.

I fitted the kits last weekend, and very pleased with the result. Now the bonnet raises with a fingertip, and it can be lowered easily from the driver's side. Hallelujah! In addition, it does permit about 10 extra degrees of tilt for the bonnet too.
The gas struts bolt to clever adaptors that fit into the bonnet lateral support, using the existing bolt hole. The adaptors are nicely made and very stout.

The only hesitation for me is that you do have to drill through the inner wing to fit the ball stud for the rear end of the strut, which is secured in the wheelarch with a washer and Nyloc nut. It drills through a double-thickness of sheet metal, so is plenty strong. I cut some washers from thin gasket material to sit between the ball studs and the metal of the inner wing.

I also did the boot. The struts easily lift the bootlid, complete with luggage rack. The driver's side of the boot kit uses the mounting locations for the stock prop-rod. You do need to fit a couple of brackets on the passenger's side, again requiring drilling.

So - this modification is not for everyone, especially those that cherish originality, I realize, but my car is very much a resto-mod these days, so while I do dislike drilling, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Available at https://clarkandclarkinc.com/catalog/triumph.

(I will also say that Robert Clark was great to work with on this - I believe I am one of the first to install these kits on a TR6, so was somewhat of a guinea pig.) Let's hope this spurs some to buy his kits, and support a vendor that supports our LBCs. (NFI)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2019-01-21 16.06.34.jpg    46.5 KB
2019-01-21 16.06.34.jpg

2019-01-20 16.30.05.jpg    30.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2019-01-22 10.02.20.jpg    57 KB
2019-01-21 16.09.23.jpg    36.5 KB
Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
Nice.

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Pretty cool Keith.

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if that could be adapted for my TR250....

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 08:53 PM by M. Pied Lourd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
I like it. Wish I'd thought of it.

Ed

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
George, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1958 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Le Frog"
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Moritz"
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
Done it already years ago. Simply used struts for a canopy flap.

Attachments:
IMG_2672.jpg    66.3 KB
IMG_2672.jpg

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
In reply to # 1591642 by M. Pied Lourd Pretty cool Keith.

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if that could be adapted for my TR250....

Cheers
Tush

The TR4, 4A, 5, 250 bonnet ist even better suited as the hinge/bracket is much more in line with the inner fender. I used the same type of struts on my TR4A.

Attachments:
IMG_1151.jpg    57.3 KB
IMG_1151.jpg

obertRo Avatar
obertRo Gold Member Robert Clark
Holland, MI, USA   USA
Thanks for the kind words, Keith. And for helping beta test!

Cheers,

Robert

Member Services:
We manufacture over 200 products for LBC's. We make mostly accessories, and a few hard parts. Our first product was the plastic MGB Battery Bin way back in 1989. We now sell retail! Check us out!
obertRo Avatar
Holland, MI, USA   USA
Heinrich,
Your car looks terrific, but please let people know that you altered your bonnet to make your strut arrangement work. You have cut off and smoothed the large "bulge" and stud in your bonnet where the factory prop attaches. That large bulge and stud is what makes fitting the gas struts so darn difficult!
Cheers,
Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-24 09:06 AM by obertRo.

Member Services:
We manufacture over 200 products for LBC's. We make mostly accessories, and a few hard parts. Our first product was the plastic MGB Battery Bin way back in 1989. We now sell retail! Check us out!

Attachments:
IMG_4837.jpg    24.1 KB
IMG_4837.jpg

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
Robert, you're right I had to cut the bulge off. It is only on the right side of the bonnet where the original stay attached to. I forgot to mention it.
In my second post I responded to the question if this setup could be adjusted to fit TR250. Much easier and no modification on the bonnet is needed..

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Ok, Thanks for the additional information. Now is the time for me to do this while I’m in mid restoration and before paint. I’m going to order the kit for the bonnet.

Now how about the boot struts on a TR5/250/4A/4? Obviously quite a different shape and internal structure vs a TR6.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

10111775 Dan Hogan
High Rolls, NM, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "FrankenTriumph"
I ordered the kit this morning and it was shipped about four hours later, how great is that? I clicked on the instruction sheet but got a larger photo of the installation. I would have ordered it even if I knew about the metal removal. I spent all last year cutting and welding Franken Triumph so I will warm up the angle grinder and be careful not to roast the new paint.

Installed new LED headlights this afternoon and these struts would have made the job a bit easier. This website is costing me money but I love it.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Ok, ordered!

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
this is excellent product.. a sensible change that cannot seriously
detract from originality.
w

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
Great idea, i'm all over that, my bonnet spends a lot of time opening and closing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Andy

obertRo Avatar
Holland, MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1591905 by 10111775 I clicked on the instruction sheet but got a larger photo of the installation.
I would have ordered it even if I knew about the metal removal.

Oops! I will have that fixed right away. Here is the correct link for the Instructions: https://clarkandclarkinc.com/static/pdf/p1238h-installation.pdf

Also, there is NO metal removal required for this Kit. It bolts right in!

Thanks to all for supporting my efforts!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 08:38 AM by obertRo.

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster