AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fuel leak...
  This topic is about my 1970 Triumph TR6
70TR6 Avatar
70TR6 Carl Eshelman
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6 "Mr. T"
I was neglectful and let Mr. T (our '70 TR6) sit for several months over a cold wet Seattle winter. When I started him up a few days ago everything seemed fine. Then I noticed gasoline puddling under the car. Popped the hood and found copious amounts of fuel leaking out of the bottom of two of the carbs. Is this most likely the seals on the plastic plug on the bottom of the bowls? If so, is the fix as easy as it seems? Unscrew the plug and replace the seal?

Thanks,
Carl.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Carl, I had that happen to me a couple years ago , plugs don’t screw in, pull down evenly from the bottom and they will come out, replace the O ring on the plug and you should be good to go. Check for leaks after starting your car.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Yes No Thank
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Are you sure about the source?
The float chamber on a carb works like the cistern on a flushing toilet - the float closes a valve when the chamber is full.
If the float doesn't, or if the valve doesn't seal, then fuel will continue to flow into the chamber, which has a small hole on the top, to let air in and out, so it will flood out of there.
It will, of course, drip off the bottom, perhaps where your seal is, so check exactly where the fuel is coming from.

John

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Yes, it could be gravity making it seem like there is a leak down around the plug when actually the gas is coming from an overflow, higher up.
It would be wise to remove the oil level dip stick and see if you can smell gas in the oil on your dipstick.
If so, that would definitely indicate something other than a simple leak and require an oil and filter change after the fix.
And speaking of the plugs, some, especially the early years, do unscrew; but you'll find a big "screwdriver" slot on the plugs that unscrew.
Carl referred to 'plastic plugs' ..the later plugs were actually plastic with a brass cap.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 08:51 AM by poolboy.

Attachments:
ZS JET and plugs 001.JPG    59.8 KB
ZS JET and plugs 001.JPG

Yes No Thank
70TR6 Avatar
70TR6 Carl Eshelman
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6 "Mr. T"
Thanks for the info guys!

Pulled the dip stick, could not detect the smell of gas. Also, the leak appears to continue for some time after the car is shut off. To me, that means it is most likely the plug on the bottom... but When I stated "plastic plug" in my mind I was picturing the black plug on the TOP of the carb. The plugs on the bottom I can not actually see but assume they are in fact brass, not plastic. With that said, I do not see any way to pull them out as there is nothing to grab onto. And there is a slot in them. Is it safe to assume that they screw out? And if they do screw out, they are standard threads, not reverse?

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Yeah, it unscrews in the typical fashion. If you were looking at the carbs from under the car counterclockwise would be unscrewing, but probably your reference will be from up above so with that in mind you'd be turning clockwise.
If you are calling the black damper knob a plug, apparently you are still unfamiliar with ZS carbs.
This won't make you a ZS carb expert, but it will help identifying and naming components:
https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/fuel-intake-emissions/carburetors-3

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
The '70 definitely has the brass plug ( center example in post # 4 from Ken). They can be stubborn to remove, you may have to take of the carbs and remove the bowls for good leverage. The 'O' ring seal, shown in example 1 and 3, post #4 is a regular autoparts store item (for gasoline). Make sure the the groove in the brass piece as well as the float bowl have a clean seating area for the 'O' ring. - Pete

Yes No Thank
smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
I have just been dealing with this problem myself. Tried new O-rings ….turned out they were BunaN. Didn't work! Tried using JPWeld and a new o-ring….that didn't work. Went to the King himself ...Joe Curto….he sold me new plugs and Viton O-rings. I also installed new float bowl gaskets. Seems to have cured the problem. Good luck. Scott in CA

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
In reply to # 1602493 by smaceng I have just been dealing with this problem myself. Tried new O-rings ….turned out they were BunaN. Didn't work! Tried using JPWeld and a new o-ring….that didn't work. Went to the King himself ...Joe Curto….he sold me new plugs and Viton O-rings. I also installed new float bowl gaskets. Seems to have cured the problem. Good luck. Scott in CA

Nothing at all against Joe at all. He knows his stuff... But on your part, JP Weld? Seriously? OMG!! Joe must have just shook his head as he pulled your A out of the dirt with a simple, but correct 'O' ring. Sorry to slam you so hard, but sometimes... - Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 07:09 PM by POW.

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I don't know if that's so far out, Pete.
Before I modified my own carbs to have adjustable jets, I had float chamber with the plugs J-B welded in place...leak no more.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
Scott, I sincerely apologize for my comment, post # 9. It was out of line and not in the spirit of this forum. It was truly not even in line with my self. - Pete

Yes No Thank
Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
b4 removing the plastic plugs, order up a replacement pair and viton ORings
to have ready. they can break.actually surprsing how well they hold up...
that said, they are a great argument for the accessory stainless steel heat shield.

Yes No Thank
smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
Apology accepted Pete.
Thanks, Scott in CA

Yes No Thank
70TR6 Avatar
70TR6 Carl Eshelman
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6 "Mr. T"
The o-ring replacement fixed the problem. As Peter Wirth mentioned, they can be a bear to get off with the carbs installed as there is no way to get an leverage on the screw driver to turn it. But before you go removing the carbs, a flat screw driver bit in a 1/4" socket did the trick.

Attachments:
IMG_0429.jpeg    80.8 KB
IMG_0429.jpeg

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links