AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Front suspension
  This topic is about my 1975 Triumph TR6
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
In the process of rebuilding my front suspension what a major PITA all bolts frozen no motor in the car so makes it even more difficult to get the springs out , getting the springs out wasn't too bad now getting them in will be fun waiting for the spring compressor tool from TRF has anyone used the tool and will the bottom plate be able to pass the front bumper bracket thanks guys

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
RJC

The plate of the tool should be attached to the bolts on the bottom of the spring plate with the shocks removed, Never got close to the bumper brackets.

Red

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
Did you do it on a lift or home how high do you have to raise the car

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
RJC

It was done in my garage, as high as it would go on the jack stands. If I remember correctly the stands were placed under the frame very close to where the bulkhead is at the frame. This gave maximum lift of the front end with out tip over since my engine was in the car.

Red

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Ralph,

Once you compress the spring and remove the bolts and nuts that hold the spring pan to the control arms, remember to put the 3/8" by 6 inch guide rods through the bolt holes. (Not provided with the tool.) If you don't have the rods in place, the spring pan will move toward the frame as you release the compression tool and prevent you from fully releasing the tool. Also remember to oil or WD40 the thread on the compression tool so it is a little easier to turn.

Jim

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
Right now everything is completely apart except for the control arms hopefully when I get the compressor it will go together pretty quick I hope this has been a real PITA

trtyme Avatar
trtyme T Tyme
Buford, WY, USA   USA
Going to attempt front rebuild. I borrowed this s compressor. The plate is 3 7/8 x 2". Think it'll work? Thx

Attachments:
IMG_20190202_084535.jpg    33.9 KB
IMG_20190202_084535.jpg

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
I used the tool from Moss and it was easy.

One small trick. The innermost nuts on the spring plate are hard to get to if the suspension is fully drooped as they are moved very close to the frame. So I lifted the lower a arm with a jack and removed the two innermost nuts first..Then I lowered the jack, hooked up the tool, and removed the other four nuts after the spring was slightly compressed with the tool. Reassembly was reverse: compressed spring with tool, put on the four outermost nuts, removed tool, jacked up the a arm until the innermost nuts were easier to access, and done.

Ps when you are compressing the new springs make sure the top and bottom hat bushings don’t get misaligned.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 12:07 PM by Uberxy.

Carolina 72MGB Avatar
Carolina 72MGB eric henningsen
Sarasota, FL, USA   USA
I am getting ready to embark on this project also. Is there a video of the disassembly process available?

1975 Triumph TR6

emodiesel Avatar
emodiesel emery m
Newport Beach, CA, USA   USA

Two good you tube videos

AADTR6 Anthony D
Purchase, NY, USA   USA
In addition, check out this link for a very good write up

https://www.scribd.com/doc/842185/Front-Suspension-Rebuild

barcalude Dave B
Baldwinsville, NY, USA   USA
You’re right about the increased difficulty of doing this job with the engine out, I had the same problem. I borrowed a coil spring compressor from Autozone and finally got the springs installed after several attempts. I had to reposition the tool on the springs several times to get them in place with new upper and lower spring pads. I also added some weight and considered having my wife come out to the garage and sit on the fender, but didn’t have to get to that point.

tdskip Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
If you’re going through the trouble of doing this, which is well worth it by the way, I strongly suggest using poly bushings so you don’t have to do it again in a couple years. The quality of rubber that is supplied now is marginal at best in my experience

jtorral Jorge Torralba
West Linn, OR, USA   USA
I made a similar home made tool. Took 5 minutes to make.

https://www.triumphdrivers.com/photo/50762

https://www.triumphdrivers.com/photo/50761

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster