AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carmine6 Avatar
carmine6 John K
Emporia, KS, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Carmine"
Oil coming out of the Breather pipe on valve cover is tan-colored and slightly foamy. Same situation when I take off the cap on the valve cover. Oil on dipstick looks just fine. How do I check if I have a head gasket problem?

Carmine 6
74 Supercharged TR6

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
How are you relieving crankcase pressure...In other words what do you have the vent for the valve cover connected to ?
And have you just been starting the engine and letting it run on occasion, without taking the car out for a real drive for at least 20 minutes or more, giving the oil a chance to warm up and the condensation a chance to warm up and break up the emulsion ?

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
carmine6 Avatar
carmine6 John K
Emporia, KS, USA   USA
Just returned from a 2500 mile trip from Kansas to Arizona. Hose from valve cover runs to an oil separator then to air filter on carburetor. Oil separator was full of foamy tan-colored liquid and some water. I checked the radiator level and it was down about 1 quart

Carmine 6
74 Supercharged TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Not what I was thinking, John.
I guess that quart of coolant had to go somewhere.
Next up...

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
carmine6 Avatar
carmine6 John K
Emporia, KS, USA   USA
So what do I do now? Is there any definitive test? Why does the moisture only show up on the top end?

Carmine 6
74 Supercharged TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I don't know, that's why I said "next up"...someone with a suggestion for you.
I was thinking what you were seeing was the oil vapor and water emulsion something like I experienced as I wrote here about 9 years ago.....but you have coolant missing, I didn't.
http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/the-6-pack-forums/car-repair-restoration-help/mechanical-repair-maintenance-restoration/49010-blowin-smoke?p=185471#post185471

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I think I have seen someting similar on a Toyota, where the timing chain can wear into the water pump body.
The coolant leaking into the oil (in small amounts) can evaporate then condense in under the timing cover.
The oil on the dipstick might look normal (until the leak gets really bad).

Likely it is just a head gasket. better to sort it out sooner than later. Bearings hate antifreeze.

Yes No Thank
LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
I would do a compression test and take a real close look at the plugs when you pull them out.

Yes No Thank
carmine6 Avatar
carmine6 John K
Emporia, KS, USA   USA
Truth be told, I didn't checked the water level in the radiator before my recent trip. The temperature gauge never went over halfway even in Arizona.. There was only about a third of a cup of water in the oil separator. The leak must be small. I was wondering if any type of additive to the radiator would solve my problem?
The engine runs strong. I will pull the plugs and run a compression test

Carmine 6
74 Supercharged TR6

Yes No Thank
igdboss Gene Levy
Laguna beach, CA, USA   USA

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Might be worth a try to use one of those rad seal products, nothing to loose.

I have known them to wirk with a cracked cyl head on an MGB.

Yes No Thank
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
One sure way to see if the head gasket is allowing coolant to leak is to start with a cold engine. Fill the radiator. Fill the overflow bottle about half way and make a mark to indicate the "cold" coolant level in the overflow bottle. Start and warm up the engine, fully. Does the coolant eventually fill the overflow bottle and some run out a little ? It should.

Now without disturbing the radiator cap or overflow bottle, let the engine cool off overnight. Is the coolant level exactly at the mark you made on the overflow bottle ? If not, repeat the warm-up and cool-off cycle once in case there were trapped air bubbles in the cooling system. Does the coolant level end up at the same place when cold ? Can you repeat the test a third time to verify ?

By keeping track of the coolant level in the overflow bottle at cold and at hot, you can determine if coolant is leaving. If it is, and it might not be more than a few ounces each time the engine cools down, you probably need to replace the head gasket ... or you have a leak somewhere else.

If the coolant in the radiator is still clean and there is no brown greasy residue inside the overflow bottle, you likely do not need to worry about the head gasket.

Moisture evaporates from the oil and escapes, rising higher as heat does, it settles inside the top of the valve cover and runs down the sides. The underside of the oil fill cap being the highest point exposed to crankcase fumes. A downhill slope to the breather tube can help prevent a build up of emulsion.

If you watch carefully you can easily spot water exiting tailpipes on newer cars when the engine and exhaust are not warmed up fully. Burning gasoline creates water vapor. Blow-by past the rings puts this water vapor into the crankcase. Excessive amounts of ignition timing advance can create more blow-by.

Your engine seems to be putting a lot of water into the catch can/separator whatever it's called.

Yes No Thank
SRMERT Avatar
SRMERT Scott Mertens
Orland Park, IL, USA   USA
Typical occurrence up north when oil and engine doesn’t get hot enough to drive moisture out of oil. Have an oil cooler?
Oil is lighter than water. Draining the pan is going to show if you have a major leak issue. Not so much if it is a small head gasket leak. Is your car supercharged? Should change oil at least because high moisture content leads to acid creation. It would not show on dip stick because oil surface tension.

Yes No Thank
carmine6 Avatar
carmine6 John K
Emporia, KS, USA   USA
Yes, my car is supercharged. No, I do not have an oil cooler. My problems seem to have started on my trip to Arizona and back. Everything was fine before that. I am wondering if some type of additive to the cooling system would stop a small leak in the cylinder head. Does anyone have any recommendations on a product to use?

Carmine 6
74 Supercharged TR6

Yes No Thank
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I don't but don't just dump something in there, even if you get recommendations....until you know for sure that's what you're dealing with...
The apparatus the "igdboss" linked to or something similar would be worth trying in my opinion considering what might be at stake.
Even the venerable Vacuum Gauge could be of value.
See "Scenario 13"
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 10:25 AM by poolboy.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links