Clutch Disc by the millions. Eaglegate zero

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

modandrocker Steve N
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
I've recently overhauled my Eaglegate kit with Pressure Plate and T/O bearing. Also weld job on other components.I have approx.18k on the clutch Disc and want to replace it too just because. The kit suggest using a Sleeve Retainer or spot weld the sleeve that is used to slide over the Toyota sleeve to make it approx. the same size as the original Triumph sleeve. This arrangement makes it useful to continue using a Triumph fitting Pressure Plate and fitting Bearing Collar. I have been successful and like the Eaglegate conversion. However, the weld broke loose on the sleeve and allowed the sleeve to ride back/forth on the Toyota sleeve while it should be stationary. I don't weld so I blame the welder ha. Anyway...I looked for a new clutch disc that is 8.5 dia. with 21 Spline. That's what goes in it! IT CAN NOT BE ANY LARGER..Does anyone Know where to locate one? I don't need it now but someday I feel sure I'll need it. I could get with Bill Close again but he sold the business and it's easy if anyone happens to know the "whereabouts" . Thanks Steve

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602333 by modandrocker I've recently overhauled my Eaglegate kit with Pressure Plate and T/O bearing. Also weld job on other components.I have approx.18k on the clutch Disc and want to replace it too just because. The kit suggest using a Sleeve Retainer or spot weld the sleeve that is used to slide over the Toyota sleeve to make it approx. the same size as the original Triumph sleeve. This arrangement makes it useful to continue using a Triumph fitting Pressure Plate and fitting Bearing Collar. I have been successful and like the Eaglegate conversion. However, the weld broke loose on the sleeve and allowed the sleeve to ride back/forth on the Toyota sleeve while it should be stationary. I don't weld so I blame the welder ha. Anyway...I looked for a new clutch disc that is 8.5 dia. with 21 Spline. That's what goes in it! IT CAN NOT BE ANY LARGER..Does anyone Know where to locate one? I don't need it now but someday I feel sure I'll need it. I could get with Bill Close again but he sold the business and it's easy if anyone happens to know the "whereabouts" . Thanks Steve

Moss Motors has taken over the parts necessary for the conversion to the 5 speed Toyota transmission. They will have the 21 tooth clutch disc that you seek.

Dick

Yes No Thank
modandrocker Steve N
Thanks Dick, I only wonder if Moss will part the Kit out. Almost all Toyota's in the model year we inquire have a 21 Spline Clutch Disc. It's the obviously rare 8.5 inch dia. that has been impossible for me to locate...There is an 8.625 dia.clutch. But even .0625 on each side is too big while using the required Triumph Pressure Plate. I need to call Bill and find his secret. Moss may use a different Pressure Plate. I haven't checked their kit to see if they include one. But that doesn't help me.

Yes No Thank
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
I remember that when I bought the HVDA kit from Herman and asked about replacement clutch discs, he mentioned that he had them made up for him. I could get them from him, or he also mentioned that any clutch rebuilder could re-do his clutch without a problem. Now that Moss has taking over after the passing of Herman, that would seem to be the most logical source. I would give them a call.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-17 07:33 AM by ArtL.

Yes No Thank
titanic Berry P
Albany, OR, USA   USA
It might not be too difficult to machine the .125" from the clutch disc in a lathe.
Berry

Yes No Thank
modandrocker Steve N
Art and Berry that's good advise. Just chuck that Disc in the Lathe, run the tool post in .0625 and be done with it. You got a chuck with a 9" swing? I had access to several Lathes before retirement. Afraid to say that's too big for my shop. Besides; I'd have to go out of retirement to pay for it. ain't no way!

Yes No Thank
titanic Berry P
Albany, OR, USA   USA
Steve N-You would need close to a 9" swing, but not a 9" chuck, just chuck on the hub. Also use some sort of backing to support the disc in the area being machined . Should be some bored retired guys in your area willing to do it for a beer.
Berry

Yes No Thank
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602782 by titanic Steve N-You would need close to a 9" swing, but not a 9" chuck, just chuck on the hub. Also use some sort of backing to support the disc in the area being machined . Should be some bored retired guys in your area willing to do it for a beer.
Berry

OK then --- Some old retired guy took a look to see if his engine lathe was capable of turning down a disk to 4.500. It would be really close, as the photo will show. It depends on the original diameter of the disk to have its OD altered. If Moss can't, or won't, supply the disk for their Toyota conversion as a separate piece, then one may be able to get this part from with McLeod Engineering (where Herman bought his) or Clutch Masters (where Herman also bought his).

Dick

Attachments:
McLeod Clutch Source .JPG    48.5 KB
McLeod Clutch Source .JPG

Toyota Clutch Disk @ *.450.JPG    57.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster