AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

71 tr-6
Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Upgrading to 8 spoke from Rimmers 5 1/2 or 6 ? 205 15 Michelin pilots . Thoughts ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
Not the answer you're looking for perhaps, but my 195/65 Pilots didn't touch the pavement 1/2" in from the edges at 25 psi. I expect 205s will leave ~ 3/4" at the edges hanging in the breeze. I did put 40K miles on my set though. Didn't know what I was missing until I replaced them with 185/70s ( it has the 3.45:1 diff ).

Factory spec. for TR250 tires in 185 was 20 psi in front, for reference.

The " Bad Ass " look wins out, I guess. For Friday night cruise-ins they'll get the job done fine.

Tom

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks buddy . So the 185,s give you a wider foot print?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
Forgot to mention I have 6" wheels ( Panasports ).

Could be low profile tires ( 60 or lower? ) have a much shorter, wider contact patch than the high profile ones ( OE was 80 profile in 185 for US cars, 165 for P.I. cars ). Maybe an authority on this will chime in. Anyway, checking what was touching the pavement was revealing, and wiped away any attraction for wider tires on my '250s.

Budgets are a factor, but after 46 years of uninterrupted Michelotti TR ownership Michelin classic models have my exclusive vote, XVS in the original size for US market cars and XAS in 165 ( too narrow for my wheels ) or XWX in 185/70 for P.I. or 3.45:1 diff equipped cars. As another poster pointed out, 180-15 XAS are still in production and are actually closer to the Michelin Redline OE tire in size than the 185s were ( NLS ). Phenomenal tires all. Vredesteins are much cheaper but offer the vintage profiles like Michelin do, and many across the pond have fitted these.

Tom

Hotshoe Avatar
Hotshoe Ken Brinkley
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Tom cheers Ken

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster