1973 TR6 interchangability for parts with a 1971

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tennee9899 Russell Crouch
Brentwood, TN, USA   USA
A question. If I purchased an entire 1973 (or other year) car to use for a parts car as I work on my 1971 TR6, would most of the parts work on a 1971? Thx in advance for all input.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Yes mostly but there are myriad small parts that won't be "correct". I'll leave it for the accomplished librarians and historians on here to point out all of them for you.

tennee9899 Russell Crouch
Brentwood, TN, USA   USA
Thx. So, I'm thinking most of the large items, doors, fenders, bumpers, motor, carbs, dash, wheels, radiator, would fit and work?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes. There is also an option of Mixing and matching from other cars, as you noted by the GT6 springs.

barcalude Dave B
Baldwinsville, NY, USA   USA
Yes...and invaluable for odd parts and ability to see what something should look like e.g. how something should be mounted, routed, etc...

10111775 Dan Hogan
High Rolls, NM, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "FrankenTriumph"
Yes, most will fit, hence my 71 "Franken Triumph". It came with a 73 engine that was shot, replaced it with a 71 which works well, I used the 73 intake manifold which may have been a mistake as I think the ports do not align right but do have the older one. Looking in the manifold the newer one had a much better looking runner set up so I used that one. The dash is not a direct replacement as switch cut outs are different. The seats are different but interchangeable. Lots other things especially emissions stuff and compression ratio are different but can be made to work.

Hope this helps

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
Maybe Poolboy will jump in here to help me out, but you may want to avoid the 73 carbs as I believe they are the least desirable of all years.

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

LFMTR4 Avatar
LFMTR4 Lou Mijares
Scottsboro, AL, USA   USA
They are but they can be used, it’s the seat belt interlock that you want to throw away. I believe there will be a lot interchangeability.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595974 by M. Pied Lourd Maybe Poolboy will jump in here to help me out, but you may want to avoid the 73 carbs as I believe they are the least desirable of all years.

Cheers,
Tush

Yeah, they are Tush, at least in my book they are...
As far as what they can do when everything is working properly, they are as good as any TR6 carbs. It's just that float chamber vent transition mechanism they tried out in the 73 carbs to make the Anti Run-on Valve innovation effective is a little fragile and it could mess up the quality and stability of the idle.
Someone else must have thought so too, because the next year and from then on it was a more robust arrangement.

ZS carb repairs
kencorsaw@aol.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster