Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ffrenchepete Avatar
ffrenchepete Peter Johnston
QUIMPER, Brittany, France   FRA
Good news, now you can buy a blank Commission Plate and have it engraved with the CTC number - not hand stamped like mine. When you find the engine number it should be about 400 higher than the Commission number as Triumph also supplied CT engines to Morgan.
Good Luck !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Just a note on stamping the commission plate...ALWAYS place it on a clean anvil and strike the stamp only ONCE. I always buy 2 or 3 and do at least 2 before deciding which one looks best...My Two Cents.

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
or get it professionally engraved, cost 5$

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 13.34.48.jpeg    43 KB
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 13.34.48.jpeg

TRroadster Don S
edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
How many plates/cars have you done?

olivier31 Avatar
olivier31 Olivier VIDAL
MURET, France   FRA
Hi guys,

my 63' TR4 CT 23407 LO have this number stamped on the left side of the frame, just under the fuel pump. I found this almost 1 year after buying the car, under a coat of dust and grease.

Perhaps it is not original (but matching with the VIN number), but strange about the policy wich seem to be professionnaly stamped. What do you think about that ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 12:52 PM by olivier31.

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
Grant, as Alec shows in an earlier posting, CT55xx is a 1962 TR4 where as CTC55xxx is a 1965 TR4A.

5500 series vs 55000 series Commission Numbers

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
Since I have solved my Commission no. vs body no. issues and a valid number for both I'm going to a BMHT certificate this car. I will then get a commision tag made. As I remember there is a fellow in Pennsylvania (John maybe) who will make a commission tag for around $25. Anyone know his email or website?

The next question is where is it located on a TR 4A? I'm told it goes on the drivers side "beer shelf" by the brake and clutch masters. Anyone confirm or have a different opinion?

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
Here's a couple photos from my '67 4A. I hope this helps in placement.

Attachments:
Commision Plate.jpg    46.1 KB
Commision Plate.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg    43 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
I have an affliction ....CRS. There is a long story about a lost commission plate on my TR 250 when I painted it back in 2011. I couldn't find the bloody thing after a beautiful paint job. I have a cabinet with some spares that has doors. After much searching and grousing and about 4 months of looking, I closed the always open doors on my cabinet. What to my wondering eyes appeared... my original commission tag taped to the door so I would know where it was.

I just got something out of that cabinet and what is taped there.......wait for it

Clarke Spares & Restorations PO Box 1501 Doylestown, PA 18901 clarkespares@att.net
He will stamp a original looking commission plate for you. Kinda remember $25 but you already know my memory sucks.

Anyway, answered my own question.
Carry on.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
You can’t be too bad off if you can pronounce your town name!

How do you say it, anyway?

ffrenchepete Avatar
Salut Olivier !
The number you have found on your chassis is the infamous 'frappe à froide' (cold chisel mark). I believe that this was introduced in France in 1981 following a European Directive of 1975. Cars built before 1981, and registered in France, are NOT obliged to have them - although when I owned a 1973 Spitfire Mk IV it was marked. Over the years, some dumb controllers at the two yearly technical check here in France (CT), kicked up a fuss about cars which did not have this mark and consequently some owners either stamped the numbers themselves or got their local garage to do it. In 1981 there may well have still been some 'Triumph' concessions in France and it was their responsibility to do the markings.
On se verra à St Malo du 30 mai au 02 juin 2019 à l'occasion du TCF Event ?

ffrenchepete Avatar
Hi Ducbsa,

Pronounced CAMPAIR ! Comes from the Breton language Kemper, which means the confluence of several rivers.
Even more difficult is my street name - Quéau, pronounced KAYO.

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Engraved is nice and neat, but handstamped is far more in keeping with the original way it was done. Like I said, I buy a few of the blank plates and pick my best effort...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 06:14 PM by tirnipgreen.

ffrenchepete Avatar
According to Bill Piggot the manufacturer of the Commission Tags machine stamped the numbers in sequence. Triumph then hand stamped ´L’ ´O’ paint and trim codes. So I reckon that having CTC ///// engraved is close to the original whilst hand stamping L, perhaps O plus paint and trim codes gives us a chance of demonstrating individual artistic talent !

olivier31 Avatar
olivier31 Olivier VIDAL
MURET, France   FRA
Peter,

merci pour ces précisions. Je pense qu'effectivement ma TR4 a subi une frappe à froid chez un professionnel à une époque lointaine.

je ne pourrai probablement pas venir à St MALO hélas !

Amitiés
Olivier

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster