Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
What makes even more confusing is a TR4a with a 1CTC prefix. I've had two such cars in years past. Never got a good reason for that other than a US dealer might have added it. I have a solid axle TR4a with the CT prefix as well.
Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
My 1962 TR4 has a 2 prefix to the Commission Number. Someone on the forum told me the car may have originally been imported into Canada as they have or had a law effective in the 1960s that stated the first digit of a vehicle ID number must be the last digit of the year the car was manufactured.

When I got my British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate it stated the car was originally imported to Canada.

Marc, that would not make sense for a TR4A made in the later part of the 1960s with a first digit of 1, so the prefix on your TR4A must be for a different reason.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
A commission number such as "1 CTC..." likely indicates a car that was assembled in Belgium. Often cars sold in some parts of Europe such as Germany, particularly to people such as US servicemen who intended to bring the cars home with them, were those assembled in Belgium. Such cars, especially those first sold in Germany, are often identified by having two number plate lamps of the oblong L467 style rather than the small ones on the rear overriders, and they may or may not have steering column locks and/or other minor detail differences.

As to the "1962 TR4 with a 2 prefix to the Commission Number," it appears that some (but perhaps not all) Canadian provinces did in fact stamp a single leading digit on the commission number plate to denote the year sold, '2' being 1962, etc.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
"You can get the color number from BMIHT. You don't have to invest in a certificate. For six pounds, they will answer a single question via email.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services/archive-research-services.html "

I paid the money, asked the question, and waited. They said it could be up to 30 days. Then, this morning, they refunded my money and sent me a statement only stating the funds had been returned.

Bummer.

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Alec,

Sorry they couldn't help. It looks like your best bet is to look at areas that painters don't normally stray during a repaint. Inside doors, under carper. behind the heater, under windshield frame vinyl, under body mount plates (interior), etc.

Jim

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
No worries. Mine is a race car with its share of bumps and bruises with very few original pieces on it. This just means we can paint it any color which makes my wife happy.

Cheers.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1410708 by oldbagpipe "You can get the color number from BMIHT. You don't have to invest in a certificate. For six pounds, they will answer a single question via email.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services/archive-research-services.html "

I paid the money, asked the question, and waited. They said it could be up to 30 days. Then, this morning, they refunded my money and sent me a statement only stating the funds had been returned.

Bummer.
If in fact the car was assembled in Belgium, it's likely there are no records of assembly to be had. sad smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

zs6aa Alf Zeller
Canada   CAN
I can confirm that 1CTCxxx indicates assembled in Belgium - my 4A is one of the 2,200 odd CKD units produced under the" tax scheme", While i really like the bonus of having metric instrumentation,.the downside is that I cannot get a heritage certificate, as the records are no longer available.

Alf

1967 TR4A - 1CTC 68252 LO

ffrenchepete Avatar
ffrenchepete Peter Johnston
QUIMPER, Brittany, France   FRA
IRS TR4A vehicles carried the 'CTC' prefix to their Commission number whilst the solid rear axle models continued with the TR4 'CT' prefix. Incidentally I have seen one of these with a CT737**L number which must have been very late in the life of the TR4A series.

TRroadster Don S
edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
Is the commission number on a TR4A anywhere on the body or chassis other than the (sadly) removable plate?

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
nope

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
If your title does not have the Commission Number, for some reason like the car was titled using the engine number, you may be able to get the commision number from the British Motor Museum, but you will need the body number found on the tag over the right side foot well.

Normally they provide certificates for 42 pounds (approx $55) based on Commission Numbers, but I believe the British Motor Museum, previously called the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT), can research a Triumph and provide a certificate from the Body Number. If that is not an option on their website I would email them and ask if it is possible. The certificate include the Commission Number along with the original Body Number, Engine number, key codes and other information like color combo etc. associated with your car when it left the Triumph factory.

Here is their website: https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
I am working on a TR4A restoration with a shop that does not specialize in Triumphs, just great paint. The car has no commission tag but does have a body tag. I have researching with BNHT to see if we can like the body number and get the the commission number. I am assuming they are not the same. I sent a note to BMHT and here is what they responded:

The way you can tell a Triumph commission number from a body number is the commission number will have an identifying prefix, before the number, while the body number will have an identifying suffix, after the number.
The number you have quoted, CT 769799-LO is the correct format for a TR4 (or 4A), however it has one to many digits. The maximum number would be five. Can you tell me whether the car has a solid beam axle or independent rear suspension?

Obviously that number won't work and I'm confirming it next week. Car is registered based on the body number but I think I can sort that out with DMV if I get the commission number from BMHT. I know a guy!

This car is defiantly an OD car and a IRS. Stay tuned.

ffrenchepete Avatar
ffrenchepete Peter Johnston
QUIMPER, Brittany, France   FRA
Hi Doc250,

The number you give, CT769799LO, as you have already learned, carries a digit too many. However as you say it is definitely an IRS model, it lacks a letter. These cars are prefixed CTC****** and started numbers at 50000. Solid rear axle TR4A cars were built in parallel and had the prefix CT*****, their numbers were also in the 50000 series.
Is it possible that your number (which by the way, is a commission number, not a body number) is CTC69799LO ?
Other numbers you may find are the body number, on a plain ally tag on the passenger side footwell of the engine compartment, this is in the form of *****CT or the engine number, stamped on the left hand side of the cylinder block immediately behind the ignition coil. This is in the format CT*****E.
Attached are three pix of the numbers of my own TR4Airs, bought (unseen) in California in 1997 when dilapidated and 'Royal Blue,' restored in England and painted a Mimosa shade, now 58 000 miles later, in France. My numbers, Commission CTC72307LO, Engine CT72701E, body 71842CT have been confirmed by BMIHT Gaydon (incidentally a US airbase in WW2) as original since the build date of September 6 1966.

Attachments:
IMG_0059.JPG    25.7 KB
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG    42.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0531.JPG    45.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
Mystery solved. That's what I get for not verifying information. I inspected that car in question and confirmed it is a IRS car. The body tag is 77555 CT. While no commission tag, the car is registered as CTC 76979 LO. That is all conforming to the format of a Triumph TR 4A. Now to get a BMHT certificate to document it.

Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster