Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, WA, USA   USA
As I understand it, there are two tags on the TR4A bulkhead, under the hood. One is the manufacturers plate and the other the VIN plate. One on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Can some one tell me if this is the VIN plate? Thanks, Grant.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tag.jpg    27.1 KB
tag.jpg

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
The photo shows is referred to as the Body Number tag and it should be on the right / passenger side.

The Commission Number tag is wider and for a TR4A contains the Commission Number and two other two digit numbers for both the original exterior color and interior color codes. This tag should be on the left / drivers side. The Commission Number is what they refer to as the VIN today.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 06:45 PM by Vila.

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, WA, USA   USA
Thanks. I am restoring a car that was purchased by a friend in 1986 in Georgia. It hasn't been on the road since. I was ordering a top for it and Rimmer questioned my VIN number. My car is presently at my brothers house in another state so I asked him to send me a photo of the VIN plate. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the tag that was different from my title. And it is the same as a VIN number. But thanks for making the distinction clear. I breathe easy again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Grant,

I'm a bit surprised they asked you for a VIN number. VIN is an American identification. Here is my commission tag. The commission number is a sequential serial number. "CTC" indicates it's a TR4A. The first TR4A was CTC 50001. The "L" stands for left hand drive. If it had factory installed overdrive, the "L" would be followed by an "O". Paint code "25" is Triumph Racing Green or Conifer Green. The "H11" indicates a black interior with leather seats. Factory installed options included disc (standard) or wire wheels (hex nut or spinner nuts), Radial (standard) or Bias ply tires. IRS or live axle. These options were recorded by the factory, but not coded on the tag. All other options were dealer installed. Attached is a copy of the dealer option brochure for the TR4A.

Jim

Attachments:
004.JPG    28.9 KB
004.JPG

TR4A Dealer options.jpg    45 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, WA, USA   USA
They wanted the "number" because the early TR4A's were caught between the TR4 and TR4A's. I did send them photos of the top bows. My VIN is CT 55621L. My body number is CT55441, I think. The engine number is CT55729E. Color was wedgwood blue. Interior was midnight blue leather.

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
Is there any way to find the original color, ... for older ones? I have a '62 and other than the body tag and the commission tag (CT 55xx L), I have nothing.

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, WA, USA   USA
I am thinking that anything beginning with CT55... is a TR4A.

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
As per multiple sites:
1961: CT1 to CT 2470
1962: CT 2471 to CT 18403
1963: CT 18404 to CT 28485
1964: CT 28486 to CT 40000
1965: CT 40001 to CT 40304

1965: CTC 50001 to CTC 63736
1966: CTC 63737 to CTC 75000
1967: CTC 74001 to CTC 78684

all numbers are said to be +/-

Mine is four digits, 55xx.

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Sorry, I forgot your's was a 1965. The early TR4As still used the "CT" rather than the "CTC". Your top is clearly a TR4A. I'm guessing you were ordering the rubber bumpers (615561) and checking on the number in the package. You can get a certificate from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust that shows the factory information, but you already have most of what is included and they are not cheap. (Over priced? ) It just verifies what came with the car.

Jim

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services/heritage-certificates.html

Attachments:
Triumph BMH Cert.pdf    1.32 MB

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Alec,

What is the paint code number on the tag?

Jim

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
My apologies, I don't mean to take away from the original post, but this may help others with a similar question. Mine is a '62 with no paint code (I have a sneaky hunch, my 'blue' isn't stock...)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 08:13 PM by oldbagpipe.

Attachments:
Commission Tag.jpg    22.8 KB
Commission Tag.jpg

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
I did some quick checking.

Alec, your car is an early TR4. You can get the color number from BMIHT. You don't have to invest in a certificate. For six pounds, they will answer a single question via email.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services/archive-research-services.html

The confusion over numbers of TR4 and TR4A is that Alec has an early TR4 with a commission number under 6,000. In this case CT55XX.

Grant, If your car has a number over 50001 and a "CT" designation, that means it is a TR4A with a solid or live axle. The"CTC" indicates IRS.

Jim

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
Thank you, I placed my order and we will see what color (colour) it was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 09:04 PM by oldbagpipe.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1407773 by Desert TR Sorry, I forgot your's was a 1965. The early TR4As still used the "CT" rather than the "CTC".
My understanding is that "CTC" indicates a car with IRS, while only "CT" indicates a live rear axle. Mentioned in Piggott and the Moss catalog. According to Piggott, even the pre-production 4As had the "CTC" prefix.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Randall,

That's correct. I indicated the same in my last post (#12). That's what happens when you post without checking your (my) information. grinning smiley I realized it when I looked at the TRA judging guidelines.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster