Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

67TR4a Avatar
67TR4a Dave Shoop
Stow, OH, USA   USA
My hood is stuck again and the cable and release lever are functioning correctly. I was having trouble with the hood sticking and when it would get stuck, I could jiggle the hood with the cable pulled ( sometimes it would take two people pushing in all directions ) and with much work and frustration eventually it would pop open. I tried to align the spring and rod better hoping to fix this and have made it worse. I can't jiggle it and get it to pop now . I think the "rod" is caught on the side of the bottom of the hole. Again this is not cable related.

Is the only hope taking the hood off from the front or loosening the hood somehow to move it enough to get the rod to move ?

This hood issue has been a real nightmare.

Any ideas ? Am I the only one who as had a hood stuck that is not cable related ?

This is the 50th year of my 67 Triumph and so far I've gotten 22 miles of driving on it this summer....... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 11:19 AM by 67TR4a.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Dave,

If it is jammed as bad as you say, then removing the hood may be your only option. I haven't done it myself, but it appears you can access the the hood brackets after removing the headlight buckets.

When I got my Tr4a, I had intermittent issues with the hood release. I found that the spring mechanism on the hood was not aligned with the latch. The latch has a raised ring on it around the latch opening. The hood latch was about 1/4 inch off center from this ring. I applied white grease to the hood latch ring and repeatedly adjusted until I saw the grease ring centered on the latch. The other thing I found was that the latch release was not being completely pulled clear of the hole by the cable. After adjusting it too, the latch now works great.

One more thing, if you do have to remove the hood, remember to mark the position of the hood brackets on the fenders before you loosen them.

Good luck,

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 01:56 PM by ric350.

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Sounds like the hinges are binding up. Have you checked them for play?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
67TR4a Avatar
67TR4a Dave Shoop
Stow, OH, USA   USA
Unfortunately can't check anything now. Hood is stuck closed. It's definitely the latched mechanism out of alignment. Had a body shop guy help me today, tried to move hood left and right by inserting paint sticks to see if we could get it to move enough to shake it loose. No luck. Got the car home now and I guess all I can do is see if I can get the hood loosened from the front.
I really hate the idea of doing that.
Maybe I'll put it on a floor jack raise it up a foot or so and drop it and see if that shakes it up. Lol.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1474058 by 67TR4a Maybe I'll put it on a floor jack raise it up a foot or so and drop it and see if that shakes it up. Lol.

Defiantly hold the cable in the release position, and try jacking at various places. The frame and body are flexible enough that you might get it to shift enough to pop open. Or drive over some bumpy roads.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
I suspect the spring of the latch is jammed in the catch plate. If nothing else works, you may try drilling a hole in the bulkhead at he vertical of the latch rod and try undoing it from underneath with a long screwdriver (hoping that the counter nut isn't too tight)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 07:55 PM by Geko.

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
If I had known you were having this problem Wed or Thurs I would had looked you up. I bet we could had got it up! I was in Medina and Wooster. I don't do the net thing on my phone. Would had enjoyed meeting you!

67TR4a Avatar
67TR4a Dave Shoop
Stow, OH, USA   USA
Conclusion. Fixed ! Here's the play by play. A talented young mechanic came over and unbolted the hood. He tried quite a few methods to try to hit the hood pin and free it from the latch to no avail. Even with the front of the hood completely free it could not be jiggled to get the pin out of the latch. The spring evidently was really compressed. So he returned the next day with about 5 feet of ratchet extensions and removed the hood latch from the firewall. The problem was just as I expected the pin was going down too far and caught on the bottom of the latch cylinder. While looking through my boxes of parts we found two other latches. One had a short cylinder but the other had a deeper cylinder that was so deep the pin could never go beyond it and catch again. Why Triumph made the latch with two depths is a puzzle but I now have one that is much deeper and this should never happen again. The latch I have on it has a hook on the top like it was for a safety catch most USA cars have where it would pop up so far and catch again. It looks like a hook. It evidently must have come from a different year Triumph. Don't know. I am thrilled to have met this young man who enjoys working on old English cars. Thanks to Mark Burnette for hooking me up with him. Really happy to be able to get hood open. Wow !

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
I don't know if this is all correct, but The Roadster Factory online catalogue shows the TR4 and TR4A did not have the safety hook as an integral part of the pin assemble and that the pin with an integral catch is a TR6 style unit. There was a separate pin catch available at some point in the TR4/4A production, but it was a separate unit from the pin assembly. See graphics

The Moss website does not list the latch assemble without the hook, but says only the "LATE" TR4As had the catch.

The Triumph 20 TR4 Spare Parts catalogue only shows the additional catch mounted under the hood as an addition part to be added and does not list when the change took place. It lists that a change occurred at Body Number (blank space), and no body number is listed.

For the TR6 style pin assembly the catching mechanism is all an integral part of the single assembly and not an add on catch as used on some TR4/4As and the catch was oriented front to back rather then left right reference the car.

The later TR6 style pin with the catch should be paired with the latching assembly that includes a hook welded to the right side for the catch to hook on where as the original TR4 / TR4A style Latching assemble does not.

Darn that was confusing, look at the photos.

Which parts did you have on your car. All the above said, it may be that a previous owner change one of the parts that was not compatible witht the other and should have change both the pin and latch.

I could not find a picture of the latching assembly without the hook so I duplicated the TR6 assemble and removed the hook, so it may not look exactly correct.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Attachments:
Pin Assembly.jpg    31.3 KB
Pin Assembly.jpg

Latch Assembly.jpg    10.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
67TR4a Avatar
67TR4a Dave Shoop
Stow, OH, USA   USA
Great stuff, thanks for the pictures. It has the top left pin and spring TR4/TR4a style and had the TR4/TR4a latch. The latch had a shallow depth cylinder. Looking thru my accumulated boxes of parts we found two latches. One was like the one on my car with short depth cylinder the other is the TR6 style. Having the hood get stuck was a major nightmare. The original plan was to weld an extension on the cylinder to make it longer but fortunately we found the TR6 style latch and just put it on. I'm not going to worry about the secondary latch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 08:41 AM by 67TR4a.

jduncan2 Avatar
jduncan2 Joel G
Gastonia, NC, USA   USA
Have same problem with my 65 tr4a.
Need help. Have had to remove hood before. Don't want to do it again.

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Home-made bonnet release handle TR4-6. From under the dash push the grommet located under the bonnet latch bracket out of the way, insert the handle with the hook oriented upwards, catch the bonnet release lever with the hook from underneath and pull the handle to release the bonnet springy pin. The bend in the rod does matter.

or

In reply to # 1474119 by Geko I suspect the spring of the latch is jammed in the catch plate. If nothing else works, you may try drilling a hole in the bulkhead at he vertical of the latch rod and try undoing it from underneath with a long screwdriver (hoping that the counter nut isn't too tight)

Attachments:
bonnet release.jpg    20 KB
bonnet release.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster