AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Butch Jr Avatar
Butch Jr Victor Quinio
Nation Heights, PA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Briton"
TR4A hood latch. Latch wire broke with hood closed. Can't open. Any suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Butch Jr Avatar
Butch Jr Victor Quinio
Found answer for hood latch in search forum. Great place to search.. Thanks much!

dadams62 Avatar
dadams62 Dan A
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Definitely install the emergency release mechanism once you get it open. It's an inexpensive piece of mind.

Cheers

Dan

"What a filthy job"
"Could be worse"
"How"
"Could be raining"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1366556 by dadams62 Definitely install the emergency release mechanism once you get it open. It's an inexpensive piece of mind.

Plus, easy to make if that is your preference.

Attachments:
Hood Release.pdf    2.35 MB

TriumphantMan Avatar
TriumphantMan Raymond C
Southeast, Southeast, USA   USA
I'm actually using the "back-up" emergency hood release as my primary and only hood release. The real estate under the dash is scarce and I used the pathway for the old cable hood release for my wiring harness mount.

Attachments:
IMG_3181 (1).jpg    74.2 KB
IMG_3181 (1).jpg

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Did you make your own harness to rid yourself of the "prince of darkness"?

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
The 4s are easier to get to the latch.
use a stick and go up from the exhaust pipe.
or on the 250 you can remove the RH head light and go in from there.

Ive seen lots of bent hoods from the failed latch cable but never had to deal with one yet.
The 6s are much harder to get to.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
On my 4A I used a long screwdriver up through the hole in the ledge beneath the latch where the back-up emergency-latch pull -- if installed --would drop through. Took a bit of blind fiddling, but popped the bonnet in about two minutes.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 05:51 PM by Fictioneer.

Butch Jr Avatar
Butch Jr Victor Quinio
Harness???prince of darkness???

Butch Jr Avatar
Butch Jr Victor Quinio
That comes next first I got to get the hood open can't seem to get any of these solutions that I've been given to work but thanks everybody i'll get it open

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Jim P
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Victor,

The wire may have broken because the latch is stuck due to rust or a lack of grease. You should be able to just see it from under the car looking up the side of the exhaust. If you have trouble seeing or getting to it, pulling the starter will help. (In the attached photo you can see the starter, header and latch.) Try spraying the latch with WD40 or PB Blaster and let it sit for a bit. Using a metal bar (rebar or fireplace poker) you can try to push the small lever in Bruce's (ducbsa) photo (next to the homemade release lever) towards the firewall, but this will take some force and will be difficult to see from below. It will take less force to knock the longer lever arm that the cable hooks to toward the right side of the car.

Good luck,

Jim

Attachments:
003 (2).JPG    54.5 KB
003 (2).JPG

TriumphantMan Avatar
TriumphantMan Raymond C
Southeast, Southeast, USA   USA
Jim, my harness came from Advance Autowire. Since I am doing a frame-off restoration, i thought "Why not". Well just s*&!, replacing the wiring harness is a tedious job, the "Prince of darkness".

jduncan2 Avatar
jduncan2 Joel G
Gastonia, NC, USA   USA
Have 65 tr4a. Having same problem with hood latch. Emergency release does not open hood. Have you solved yours yet. If so please share.
Thanks

wrayg Avatar
wrayg wray brady
bethel park,pa, USA   USA
Removed grill, passenger side headlight bucket and accessed with a long prop rod

jduncan2 Avatar
jduncan2 Joel G
Gastonia, NC, USA   USA
Thanks Brady. Guess there is no easy fix. Will give it a try.
Joel

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster