Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Sam - That looks like a nice TR4. I haven't been on the Mecum site before. They show some pictures and a bit of information. Is there a link to get more detailed information?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
I have only been lurking...

Saw the post from the Spitfire forum and took a look.

I wish I could tell you more. You may have to log on etc to get better info.

We usually spend an hour drooling over Barrett Jackson when they come to Mohegan Sun every year.

Would scare me to buy something like that without kicking the tires and a test drive

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 03:42 PM by sampattr250.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jim,
There are good TRs out there and you can find them on CL, FB Marketplace, BAT, local clubs, etc. Check out the registry here, the club links and Mr Google. Post what you find here so everyone can pick it apart and give you the pros and cons. There appears to be a nice one in Asheville and a long weekend there doesn’t suck!
Good luck, Rut
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/greer-1963-triumph-tr4/6789406234.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Hey Rut - I do check out all of those sites and did see the one (online) in Asheville yesterday. If fact I replied and got a response from the owner. Due to other travel plans I won't be able to turn around a trip there in the short term. The is one in NY state that I've sent an inquiry to and if I get a response I'll post it for comments. Thanks.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I studied the pictures a little more and that car is in Greer, SC and I think I might know who the owner is. If it’s who I think, he is a one man resto shop and I bought a 4a from him that he flipped. I can’t call his name, but I’ll look it up.
Rut
Edit: It might be Alan Salvatore in Greer, SC. Salvy66 on the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-10 02:54 PM by Perdido.

Sarastro Avatar
Sarastro Steve Maas
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I see an inexpertly done floor patch on the left side, right behind the front wheel well.

As for the frame--did you notice what looks like a pair of welds, one on each side, right at the rear axle? Also, similar welds near the front, even with the center of the transmission? The symmetry makes me think that pieces of the frame were replaced.

Finally, the breast plate looks like it may have been replaced. My TR is a 4A, so I'm not that familiar with TR4 frames, but I'd want to resolve these things before buying.

tr4head Avatar
tr4head Rob B
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
Can't add much to what has been said, here is a general overview from owner perspective.

I have a 63 TR4, owned since 1983. You couldn't do better (no bias of course). Main things for me would be straight body and frame (no big accidents), rust and originality. No funky wiring mods. Engine and tranny are tough and hard to break. Hot engine temp should not be much below 40-50 lbs, at 2000 rpm about 60-70±. No hyd leaks at master and clutch cylinder. Look under car for damage and leaks. My car was not undercoated so could see everything well but had to undercoat later because of Minnesota winters and salt dread (car orginally from CA). My car is a good 20 footer and a driver (what else should you do??). Only broke down needing a tow one time since 1983 for oddball fan blade snap that cut thru lower rad.hose, metal fatigue. No issues with original Lucas wiring to the consternation of Brit bashers. Every 3 yrs I rewrap the wires in engine compartment and clean all connections, no big deal. Good luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-18 07:45 AM by tr4head.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1590110 by tr4head ...Only broke down needing a tow one time since 1983 for oddball fan blade snap that cut thru lower rad.hose, metal fatigue....

Or maybe not so oddball...

Have had it happen twice. One went down, one went up. Down is better.

If I were buying a TR4 today I would use again the approach I used before - seek the best all-original example I could find (including original paint). Very hard to conceal the sins of past owners if the car is mostly unmolested. Budget for an engine rebuild if needed… then drive the piss out of it.

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
The chrome radio bezel should BEHIND the mounting bracket so that only the inner edge shows. Minor, but it looks goofy the way it is.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster