Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Going from Delaware to Connecticut to look seriously at this 1963 TR4. Anyone from the area recognize this car or have any knowledge of it? What are the Top 5 things to look for when evaluating a TR4? Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR4 Old Saybrook.jpg    38.9 KB
TR4 Old Saybrook.jpg

TR4 Old Saybrook 2.jpg    38.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Fairly original example with all desirable upgrades (OD, chrome wires, Anti sway bar, electronic ignition, wooden rim, luggage rack, steering rack solid mounts, spin on oil filter) except the surrey top. Brake and fuel lines have been replaced but not properly fitted. Seems like it has had a front left shock so I would take a closer look at the chassis there. Price wise, 16-18K should be about right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 07:54 PM by Geko.

Manistee Avatar
Thanks Stef - I just noticed in one of the undercarriage pictures that one of the cross members seems out of whack. Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR4 cross member.jpg    53.8 KB
TR4 cross member.jpg

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
That's what i suspect, but indeed the shock may have been on the right side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 01:36 AM by Geko.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 3.33.17 PM.jpg    24.1 KB
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 3.33.17 PM.jpg

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jim,
Inspect the frame further back from Stefs picture and measure diagonally to see how far the damaged side is shoved back. Also check from the side and top to see if the diagonal brace has been rewelded. Looks like a lot of work has been done to that frame.
Rut

Manistee Avatar
Rut - Thanks for the recommendations. From what I understand the crossmember that is askew is the radiator protector which is bolted onto the frame. What other areas suggest to you that "a lot of work has been done to that frame"? It's a five hour trip for me to see this car and if that's the case I'd rather not bother. Here's the link to all of the pictures and other information on the car. My goal is to buy a good solid, straight car and not have to be concerned with things such as frame issues. May pass on this one.

https://www.cardoneanddaughter.com/sales

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 09:29 AM by Manistee.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Jim,

Long ride to be dissapointed.

The shop advertising the vehicle is one of the more reputable for TR in state, and a big supporter of our club.

I hope you eventually find what you're looking for.

Best of Luck

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
If you notice where the shocks mount,the right hand pan seems a bit farther back than the left side. If the impac on was on the right side rail and diamonded the frame back, tracking could be effected. I would have a alignment shop do a complete 4 wheel check before buying the car. Do not use a shop they recommend. Someone unbiased.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jim,
I looked for pictures of TR4 frames on the net, but didn’t find exactly what I wanted. Look at the picture that Stef posted and note that the lines of the frame, body, etc. aren’t real parallel...it just looks off. The addition of front frame bracing also scares me and they are asking a lot for that TR4. Don’t get in a rush to buy and post pictures of potential cars for purchase. Lots of knowledgeable people here (not me) who can give you good advice.
Rut

Attachments:
918B4B5D-DB23-4D06-825E-78FDD653FDED.jpeg    43.2 KB
918B4B5D-DB23-4D06-825E-78FDD653FDED.jpeg

9A69E872-C01B-48FD-BF65-CB807FC26787.jpeg    54.8 KB
A52121FC-8FD1-45FC-892D-999E77B95022.jpeg    14.4 KB
DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1588282 by sampattr250 Jim,

Long ride to be dissapointed.

The shop advertising the vehicle is one of the more reputable for TR in state, and a big supporter of our club.

I hope you eventually find what you're looking for.

Best of Luck

Sam is quite correct in what he says, Dave Cardone and his crew are straight-up people, worth noting the car is being sold on consignment.

GulfTR4 Avatar
GulfTR4 Greg T
St Paul, MN, USA   USA
Looks like there may be some wiring issues to sort out. Horns are unhooked indicating shorts in steering column resulting in horns honking at will. Red wire in under trunk photo for ??? Bullet connector over radiator shroud unhooked. Extra wires below carbs. They may be simple fixes or may mean shorts in harness requiring a new one. The OD switch escutcheon is from a later car as well. Switch would be the short chrome one on the RT side of the wheel.

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
In reply to # 1588293 by trjohnnie If you notice where the shocks mount,the right hand pan seems a bit farther back than the left side. If the impac on was on the right side rail and diamonded the frame back, tracking could be effected.

And maybe why the rebound brackets have been removed, unless deleted after fitting the anti-sway bar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 01:51 PM by Geko.

ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
This looks like a really honest car, and what I'd recommend to a friend in the market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372556536750

Tom

Oops - ended. I meant the white one.

Somebody got a good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 01:59 PM by ima68tr.

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
The car appears to be in good condition, apart from the above comments.
The area around the battery tray and firewall looks suspect.
My impression is that the owner has done a body on frame restoration, as the underbody appearance does not match the upper.
You would also have to check the sills and fender bottoms for filler.
Being black is a downside for me.
Need to buy the car at a more attractive price.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Saw this on the spitfire site. Unfortunately it goes over the block today.

WIll be interested to see what it does. TR usually do not do so hot in ordinary auctions.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-356523/1965-triumph-tr4-convertible/

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster