AutoShrine Sponsor

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
What do you want to do with the car? If you want to win at car shows for originality, or just the praise of Triumph aficionados, no stripe (and encase it in glass). If your plan is to enjoy your car and are only worried about pleasing yourself, go for it!

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy with a big black stripe going down the middle of a '62 with a non-Triumph paint color. Nobody has ever told me they were insulted or offended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 11:42 AM by oldbagpipe.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
I wouldn't stripe it. if I did, it would be a silver 250 stripe or nothing. and nothing 'lowly' about a TR4- I think they have more character than a 250. - Kevin

Attachments:
IMG_20180903_142608054_HDR_2.jpg    66.7 KB
IMG_20180903_142608054_HDR_2.jpg

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
I was never a huge fan of the TR250 stripe, even on the 250. Similar to the bumble bee stripes on late '60s, early '70s Mopars, to me, they are just going in the wrong direction. My first Triumph was a '63 TR4 that I bought in '65. It was red with a black interior. The PO painted a white stripe (narrow-wide-narrow) down the middle. I always liked the look of those stripes, as they were what many race cars of the period had...racing stripes. Actually, they did serve a purpose in racing. Cars that entered in FIA international races were painted in the "colors" of their respective countries. Red for Italy, green for England, yellow for Belgium, etc. Since there were a limited range of colors compared to countries, they added another color in the form of a stripe. The US was white with a blue stripe.

International Auto Racing Colors

Of course, the car is yours...smileys with beer

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Art, I was thinking the same thing. While it may not be a Ford GT its still cool to honor racing heritage.

Again none of this matters it's your car do what you want.

IMHO It's more important to this community that its running and on the road.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
The early 4's did not even have those chrome trim strips with the big side markers spoiling their clean lines. A 250 style hood stripe just would not go IMHO. Since the overall look of a car is usually from 30' + away, an inexpensive trial would be to cut some paper to match the proposed addition, spray it silver, lay it across your hood and back up to take a look. - Pete

rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, TX, USA   USA
Your Car, Your Rules. Anyone who doesn't like it should buy there own and do it their own way.

I've got a stripe on my TR4, and if there are those of you who don't like it let me re-iterate: MY CAR, MY RULES.

I think gold would look really good as a stripe on a white car.

Rod

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 12:25 PM by rod-h.

Attachments:
TR4.JPG    30.8 KB
TR4.JPG

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
If you like the stripe, then do the stripe. Don't let others nay say you into what you don't really want. When I was growing up that was called "peer pressure" and viewed upon very negatively. If you are worried about being able to sell it down the road, maybe do vinyl instead of paint.

If any one gives you guff, just slick back that pompadour, pull the lucky strikes out of your rolled up sleeve, look them square in the eye as you light up, and tell them as you exhale into their faces, "Don't be such a square".

smileys with beer

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1592785 by rod-h Your Car, Your Rules. Anyone who doesn't like it should buy there own and do it their own way.

I've got a stripe on my TR4, and if there are those of you who don't like it let me re-iterate: MY CAR, MY RULES.

I think gold would look really good as a stripe on a white car.

Rod

You are totally right about that, "Your Car, Your Rules". In Toms original thread he stated pretty much the same thing and was asking for opinions only, making this sort of an opinion pole only. People gave their opinions. No reason to shout with all caps.

By the way, your care looks outstanding! I like the decked hood, the color, the wheels, the biscuit interior, all set of by the wine top, still not so much the stripe (IMHO), but the whole package works great. Toms car is at the other spectrum as being a stellar example of clean originality and while not a purist by any stretch, I do think if you've achieved this, IMHO, it's better to hang on to it. - Pete

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
So much good advice and opinions here that to add my own would be superfluous. I'll only say that I've never been a fan of stripes, regardless the color or the orientation. I'd not append one to my TR4A, however, it is your car and you're the one that it has to please, so if you like the looks of the TR250 stripe, it makes no difference what anyone else thinks.
Just my two pence worth. smiling smiley
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 03:51 PM by Fictioneer.

davetalbert Dave Talbert
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
obviously 'your car - your decision' … but since you've asked …

… to my mind, there is nothing you're going to put on that car that will make it look better than what I'm looking at. that's pure, man. I love it as it is.

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
Tuckasegee, NC, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Trouble"
1967 Triumph TR4A
I agree with Rodney completely. YOUR car. Go with what you want.
Have a blessed day and week. Snowing in the boonie's. Nothing better except a cold garage and can't get any work done. Be safe all.
Randy in the boonies of western North Carolina.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
James,

Nice pic with a future Triumph owner.

My 7 yr old son has already claimed the tr250 and had allowed his little sister the possibility of driving the spitfire.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Dave makes a very good point.

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
I go with the side of it's your car, do what you want. having said that, I'm not a fan of the longitudinal strip on Triumphs. Just my tastes. A very nice fully restored 76 TR 6 with a white stripe the length of the car just sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale for $20K plus fee. Had Triple webers, new interior and looked great.

We painted the horizontal silver stripe on my Tr 250 and laying out was very time consuming. Both Moss and TRF offer a dimensions drawing but they aren't the same. I took measurements off an original TR 250 I had access to. Different still. BTW there is not one straight flat surface on the bonnet of a TR 250 (hence a TR4). Here is my painter trying to lay it out. After 4 hours we quit and went to lunch and had a couple pints. That helped and I suspect was the same they did originally when applying the stripe. Explains a lot.

Question- since TR 5s don't have the stripe, was it applied here in the US or at the factory just on export cars?

Attachments:
Ipad Jan 2016 101.JPG    48.6 KB
Ipad Jan 2016 101.JPG

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
Why stop with the hood stripe? Either red wheels or a narrow stripe down the sides.
Electrical and duct tape come in red so you could experiment until the rolls are used up.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster