Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Got to be someone or some place in Europe that can supply one from an old switch.

BT

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Brian,
I need to buy a couple of those for some original switches...please pm me with order details.
Thanks, Rut

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I have robbed them from MGB switches. Just another possible source.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1592354 by Fictioneer I have robbed them from MGB switches. Just another possible source.
Doug

Doug,
Thought about that, but my MG knobs are as bad as my TR ones.
Rut

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Rut,
I was lucky to find some good ones in the past. At the moment I also need one for the TR4A.
Doug

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Guess I wouldn't be surprised if British Leyland used the same knobs for MG and TR's. Why not--probably saved them some money.

RUT, which knob you considering--the turn signal knob or the high/low beam knob? They are a different design but they have the same size hole.

BT

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Doug, I'm curious--you have a 68 TR4A, I have a 68 TR250 and they started in late 67. Did they make a few TR4's in 68 also? Trying to expand my knowledge. Learn something every day.

BT

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Here is a better picture of just the high/low beam switch knob. I modeled it directly from my TR250 and my 70 GT6+. For those model cars they are identical. It's slightly shorter than the turn signal switch knob and the "finger" pad area has more curves.

BT

Attachments:
TR-GT-Spitfire Light Beam Dimmer Knob.JPG    11.8 KB
TR-GT-Spitfire Light Beam Dimmer Knob.JPG

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Hi Brian,
No 4s in '68. They are really 1967 cars, but back then BL dealers titled the cars by the year sold, not necessarily the model year. I'll attempt to have the title changed after I get the car back on the road.
Doug

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
OK, thanks Doug-that explains it. I just wasn't sure.

BT

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
Getting fresh switch contacts after 50+ years sounds good to me.

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1592360 by Bpt70gt Guess I wouldn't be surprised if British Leyland used the same knobs for MG and TR's. Why not--probably saved them some money.

RUT, which knob you considering--the turn signal knob or the high/low beam knob? They are a different design but they have the same size hole.

BT

Brian,
I need a couple of each.
Thanks, Rut

olivier31 Avatar
olivier31 Olivier VIDAL
MURET, France   FRA
In reply to # 1592333 by Bpt70gt Brian here, I've already printed the turn signal knob and the light high beam / low beam knob for the TR250 TR6 Spitfire and GT6 but I don't know if the TR4 uses the same knob. Anyone know for sure if the knobs are the same?

The turn signal knob is just a bit longer than the high/low beam and a slight difference in design.

I don't usually visit the TR4 forum but just by chance............did.

BT

The one on the first picture is right for me.

About postage costs, my brother is living in Raleigh NC, this should be good I suppose. He could bring knobs in France later.

pm for details ?

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Just to be clear gentlemen. These are re-creations of the originals using 3D printing. I don't want to give the impression these are original molded parts. I print them and then do some post processing to make them look smooth and shiny like the originals and gives UV protection. They can be pushed on to the light switch stalk to test fit and then removed. Put a light coat of your favorite epoxy adhesive like JB Weld or equal on the stalk.. Push on to the stalk and position as needed and then let the epoxy set.
I print them using Nylon alloy 910 which is a very tough nylon developed specially for 3D printing. 8100 psi tensile strength-crazy strong for a plastic.
I've shipped a few around the country and haven't had negative feed back yet. I have them on my cars now and really can't tell the difference from a molded one.

My one question is: Does the TR4 use the same size metal switch stalk as the TR250-6-spitfires-GT6's??? Be a shame if the hole is different.

Rut, you want to wait until you get back home before I send them out? As shown in the picture I had made up a small batch so I can put what you need in a package and hold on to them until you're home. PM me when you get a chance to talk logistics.

Olivier, much easier to send to Raleigh NC if that works for you. Hope your brother visits you soon. PM me for details.

BT

Perdido Avatar
Brian,
Thanks, that’s a good idea. Most everything is in storage at the farm, but the new shop is taking shape and I’ll be able to start on the TRs once my sons Jeep is out of the way. The Jeep build has been very interesting and not unlike a TR in many ways...tight spaces, sharp metal edges, straight 6, rust, and more.
Thanks, Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster