AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Silver Member Glenn G
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4A
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
I'm wondering if it would be o.k. to pressure wash the frame and suspension from my TR4A before I get to work on it. Think it would work o.k.? Anything to be careful of? Never used a pressure washer before. The frame is in good condition and will not require any repairs, although I am considering strengthening kits.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TRframe.JPG    50.3 KB
TRframe.JPG

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Glen,
I’ve pressure washed one and had one sand blasted and powder coated with the additional strengthening brackets welded in and both do a good job. Once you finish you can use a leaf blower or strong fan to help dry out the inside and then spray it with interior chassis coating.
Rut

GlennMGB Avatar
1965 Triumph TR4A
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
Thanks, Rut. What kind of interior chassis coating did you use?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
I like the Eastwood brand of interior frame coating...it comes in a spray can with an omnidirectional spray nozzle on a long tube. Lots of others out there and I’m sure someone will chime in.
Rut
Edit: the frame I had sand blasted and powder coated was in really good shape and they welded in rear diff mounting supports and front suspension brackets as well. I bought the brackets for the front and had the rear ones cut at a local fab shop and the cost was pretty low iirc. The company that did the blasting, welding, and powder coating only charged $300 and that included a set of seat frames, bumper brackets, fender supports, radiator guard, and some other misc items. Might be worth checking into.
Rut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 08:44 PM by Perdido.

Sarastro Avatar
Sarastro Steve Maas
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I pressure-washed mine, but it was after the frame was stripped and de-gunked. I think I'd be reluctant to pressure wash it in the condition you show, as you might force water into all kinds of places where it shouldn't go. I did flush out the frame with the pressure washer (got out a mouse next or two), then drained and dried it well. I also used the Eastwood internal coating.

I didn't use the pressure washer to get off the thick, greasy dirt deposits, as it would make a colossal mess, and I have no place where that wouldn't be a problem. Dunno how well it would work, but if you can deal with the mess, it might be worth trying. Would save a lot of effort.

http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a/frame/

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
You have gone this far, why not dismantle to chassis only and sand blast etc as "Rut" suggested for a complete restoration.

GlennMGB Avatar
1965 Triumph TR4A
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
Quote: why not dismantle to chassis only

I have limited storage space, and consequently need to be able to roll the chassis into the shed when I'm not working on it. But now that I think about it, I could probably fabricate a cart to take care of that. I don't think sandblasting is necessary, and it would not be convenient for me to arrange. I'd prefer to do something similar to what Steve details on his web site. Thanks for the input!

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1594291 by GlennMGB
Quote: why not dismantle to chassis only

I have limited storage space, and consequently need to be able to roll the chassis into the shed when I'm not working on it. But now that I think about it, I could probably fabricate a cart to take care of that. I don't think sandblasting is necessary, and it would not be convenient for me to arrange. I'd prefer to do something similar to what Steve details on his web site. Thanks for the input!

Lots of good ways to skin this cat and do what’s best for you. I was lucky enough that there was a place that could blast and powdercoat mine that I drove by every 3 weeks or so in my pickem up truck. My previous restorations used lots of elbow grease, heat guns and paint scrapers and they turned out great.
Rut

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
When I got the body off my 1962 TR4 chassis I pressure washed the frame, suspension, differential, transmission and engine.

I would highly recommend doing it in an out of the way location. When I was finished pressure washing there was dirt and grease balls sprayed every where within 10 feet of the parts. For instance, If you did it in your driveway you could end up tracking the grease balls everywhere, including inside your house.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

bteichgraber Avatar
bteichgraber Brian Teichgraber
Tsawwassen, BC, Canada   CAN
I made a medusa head out of aircraft cable about 4 inches long and put it into any frame opening I could use , used a high speed drill and whipped the scale rust on the inside . Used my shop vac and when I was done used a rust mort product that coated it with a rust stop and sealer - long tube with multi direction head . Time consuming but i vacuumed a lot of crud and nests out
Prior to this operation I used a camera scope to see the before and after .

Cruiser Martin Carew
Temecula, Temecula, CA, USA   USA
I definitely did not put the frame on my trailer and let it soak overnight with oven cleaner before bringing to coin wash early on a Sunday morning, nope. Definitely did not.

ShortBulge Avatar
ShortBulge Silver Member Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
last 2....BRILLIANT !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster