Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Hi everyone - Here's another TR4 that I'm looking into. It's being sold on consignment by Tuxedo Motor Sport in Tuxedo, NY. Owner of the company is George Medynski. He also has it listed on eBay. I emailed George and suggested that I would drive up (from Delaware) to see it if we could agree on a price subject to inspection. I offered $18K which he replied was "GOOFY" Interesting guy this George smiling smiley

http://www.tuxedomotorsport.com/cars-for-sale.html

Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Pictures can only tell you so much - but I am seeing a very nice TR4 there. $21K might be very fair if a closer inspection confirms what the photos show.

In my opinion, you'd be hard-pressed to start with a typically tired example and get it to this condition for that money.

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
full original except the wooden dash, zero upgrade. Rightly priced IMO

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Nice 4, but ‘no expense spared’? The boot lid fit is not so good on the passenger side, hardware/door latches were left alone vs replated, is that a 4 or 4a radiator? Pick, pick, pick, but a nice car with little to do but drive and maintain.
Rut

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1588633 by Perdido ...Pick, pick, pick, but a nice car with little to do but drive and maintain.

Yeah, there are nits to pick on any car: Steering wheel wrapped (may have be in lieu of restoring a damaged wheel), wiring harness non-original (would have been wrapped in blue), TR6 style door seals used (original metal channels likely gone), incorrect hose clamps, distributor position probably off by one tooth, non-original door cards (I can see stitching and the metal buttons covering screws are missing), radio speaker may be non-original (do not see nuts on firewall shelf, just holes), seat covers very wrong pattern, seat adjusting levers should have rubber caps, top frame folded wrong (someone didn't read the manual), radio appears right but the chrome trim may be installed wrong making it look incorrect, glove box interior wrong color, red heater hose incorrect, air filters non-original and do not have correct molded hoses to flame trap, non-original style windscreen washer bottle (typical Tudor replacement, not Trafalgar original), cap on one or maybe both master cylinders may be a plastic replacement (originals were metal), bonnet latch hardware should be body color, nave plate emblems appear to be cloisonne, should be embossed 'aluminum'...

Wife just said breakfast is ready so that's all for now.

Really - a pretty good example, just showing how almost any restored car has things that differ from original (and maybe give the buyer some bargaining points).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 09:04 AM by Geo Hahn.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
i agree with Rut, don't nitpick yourself out of a vehicle.

Too bad its red. Any color Triumph is good, but I think the 4 and 4a look nice in darker colors.

Go kick the tires etc. Have them put it up on a lift etc then take it for a good long drive.

Bring a hat coat scarf and gloves it's going to be in the low 20s this weekend.

Hopefully you can negotiate price.

Good Luck smileys with beer

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Manistee Avatar
Thanks for the great insight! Yes, Red is not my preferred color either. Timing and weather are potential issues. We're supposed to get as much as 12" this week-end!

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Pretty decent black on on eBay. Surrey & overdrive

Not original color but a pretty nice example

NFI

Todd

Manistee Avatar
Hey Todd - It's listed by Cincyclassic. He picked it up on BaT about six months ago for around $11. He looking for $24,900 on eBay smiling smiley

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Wow I didn’t realize they got it for 11. Still, for what it is?

I s’pose if they got it for 11, they might take 18?? No idea.

Hardtops in decent shape go for 4k. Plus it has overdrive

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Yep, should be dressed out better for the amount of money. Main thing, drive it and see how it feels. You can fix the little thing along and give it your own touch. If it doesn't drive or feel right, then you have problems. Seen many cars that look great but drive terrible. Pigs with lipstick!
Marv

ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
I took a gander at the black one. They've touched it up a bit but the front fender / hood alignment is probably the worst I've ever seen. Would never have left the factory like that; seems some accident damage wasn't fixed properly. It does have a lovely factory hardtop and very nice white metal dash. Someone will buy it eventually due to the hard top; possibly correct the accident damage and fence the car sans hardtop.

Tom

ShortBulge Avatar
ShortBulge Silver Member Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
Sounds like you'll be able to test in the snow...

...what are those 2 metal bars going up from front cross bar?
i've got them too, but not attached...

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
I agree with others, the listed price seems fair if it looks that good in person.

One suggestion, replace those Firestone radials with something better. My 62 TR4 had those on when I bought it and I can say they have zero grip. Just pulling out of my driveway the front and back ends of the car wanted to exchange places. I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Centurion 165HR15s I got from Lucas Classic Tires and it made a big difference.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
I am under the same opinion, that looks like a pretty nice car that is fairly priced. But also agree that you need to drive it and see that it drives as good as it looks. Don't try to haggle too much on the price if it is as good as it looks. That black car was pretty, but had obvious accident damage, this one looks far more original (except for the wooden dashboard).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links