Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR4 & TR4A Forum

Help identify this rocker valve cover from my TR4: Chrome? Conventional? Alloy?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dixonh2 Avatar
dixonh2 Silver Member dixon harris
wellington, FL, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "N/a"
The rocker valve gasket on my TR4 seems to be a chrome valve cover almost like Gary Deroche just photographed and sent in.. It does not match any valve cover I see in Moss M.

It's leaking a bit so I sent to MossM for a " conventional" rocker valve cover gasket instead of an " alloy" cover gasket. Hope it will work.

Please comment. What's on my TR4?

See attached photos.

Dixon Harris
Wellington, FL

Dixon H Harris
Wellington Florida

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
rocker cover2 (1).JPG    46 KB
rocker cover2 (1).JPG

rocker cover2 (2).JPG    48.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Milpitas, CA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Dixon,
The valve cover on your TR4 looks like a regular stock chrome valve cover with side vent tube.
It is not an alloy valve cover
A standard valve cover gasket will work.

P.S.
That is one strange conversion from the standard rod actuated throttle to a cable actuated throttle. Looks like it would make valve adjustment and gasket replacement somewhat harder and more awkward.

Also your heater control valve is not correct, the Zenith-Stromberg cabs you have should be using the curved runner intake manifold.

M.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:42 PM by Merlin63Tr4.

dixonh2 Avatar
1951 MG TD "N/a"
Merlin

Appreciate your help greatly. So the gasket I ordered should be okay.

You could not help noticing the throttle cable. This car of mine is an MGTD with a tr4 drivetrain. Expertly dropped in I should say, years ago by two Brit techs in Califotnia.

"....your heater control valve is not correct," Good eye, Merlin. But I live in south Florida. Never paid much attention to the heater thingy.

Dixon H Harris
Wellington Florida

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Milpitas, CA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Dixon,

That TD must be a rocket!
What rear end are you using? If I remember the TDs have a real high rear end ratio.
Now I understand why you are using the short TR3 intake manifold.....
I was also trying to figure out what the deal was with the vacuum line(s) at the intake manifold.

M

dixonh2 Avatar
1951 MG TD "N/a"
02/11

Merlin.

The rear end of my "rocket" is standard TR4. No clue if it is 3.7:1 or 4.1:1. Both are regular options my TR4 books tell me.. Any way to tell which ratio it has from an outside inspection of the diff casing?

btw..bought this car from a collector eight years ago. Little data included as to what is what in this car. There is an engraved plate forward of the gear shift which stated the Brit customizers in Calif. ( Wm Clothier) rebuilt the car from 1967 to 1978. So no telling what Clothier had lying around his shop during that time when he rebuilt my car. I'm still learning as time goes on. That accounts for the MGTD body/frame, the TR4 drive train, the MGA 1500 brakes, the Porsche spoked wheels.etc.

Dixon

Dixon H Harris
Wellington Florida

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster