Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
So in preparation for our polar bear run tomorrow I got the 4 out to give it a quick shake down. It’s cold (upper 30s) so it was a little sluggish, but fired up

Popped the bonnet and found a stud was gone. I also noticed an outward dimple. Cracked the paint too. Guess the stud broke & shot straight up. So far no water in oil. I drove it about 30 miles.

Why did that thing shoot out with enough force to ding the bonnet? It’s not a concourse car by any stretch so not too worried about the paint

Cheers

Todd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Head studs (like all fasteners) stretch when they are properly installed. Think of it as a very stiff spring. When suddenly released, it's like shooting a rubber band.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Wow - never heard of that happening. Got a nice 'outie' dent on the TR4 bonnet once from a fan blade that decided to head back to Coventry.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Guess it serves me right not changing all the studs out the last time the head was off. This will be the 3rd time the head has been off in 2 years

Time for the rest of the engine to come out.

Sarastro Avatar
Sarastro Steve Maas
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Even when new, those studs are operated pretty close to their limits. Then, add a little age, rust pitting, fatigue, and...well, you found out.

You can find the ARP studs for the TR engine for about what the standard ones cost. They can handle about 50% more tension, which means there is a greater margin of safety, and they are beautifully made components.

oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 1585381 by gozto11 So in preparation for our polar bear run tomorrow I got the 4 out to give it a quick shake down. It’s cold (upper 30s) so it was a little sluggish, but fired up

Popped the bonnet and found a stud was gone. I also noticed an outward dimple. Cracked the paint too. Guess the stud broke & shot straight up. So far no water in oil. I drove it about 30 miles.

Why did that thing shoot out with enough force to ding the bonnet? It’s not a concourse car by any stretch so not too worried about the paint

Cheers

Todd

Can you see/feel the remnant of the stud? If not the threads in the block may have given up the ghost.

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
The stud definitely broke off. I’m just hoping I have enough stud to work with to get the rest out.

I posted a shot of the bonnet. Let this be a lesson. If you don’t have history of your engine, think about replacing the studs

And thanks to the inter webs I found a set of ARP studs for $115 to my door. Not as bad as I thought

Todd

Attachments:
E0A312B8-096B-4F56-80ED-743C7A6F288A.jpeg    22 KB
E0A312B8-096B-4F56-80ED-743C7A6F288A.jpeg

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
and with any good shipwrights disease, i picked up an nos set of hepolite 87mm pistons & mahle liners. any thoughts on rings? i understand Hastings is the way to go? looks like the liners need a good cross hatch too.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I really like the Hastings rings, particularly the oil control rings.
Rut

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 1586730 by gozto11 and with any good shipwrights disease, i picked up an nos set of hepolite 87mm pistons & mahle liners. any thoughts on rings? i understand Hastings is the way to go? looks like the liners need a good cross hatch too.

I thought I got the last set of Mahle pistons and liners... guess there are more still out there. Mine were made in 86. Any luck getting the stud out of the block? Kyle.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1588093 by twomanytriumphs
In reply to # 1586730 by gozto11 and with any good shipwrights disease, i picked up an nos set of hepolite 87mm pistons & mahle liners. any thoughts on rings? i understand Hastings is the way to go? looks like the liners need a good cross hatch too.

I thought I got the last set of Mahle pistons and liners... guess there are more still out there. Mine were made in 86. Any luck getting the stud out of the block? Kyle.

Hey Kyle

Haven’t had time to pop the head off yet. Kinda scared to look. Guess I should fill the bore with oil in the meantime.

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Todd

Just for reference what was the ARP part number for these studs and can you tell us from whom you bought them?

Red

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1588255 by Reddragon Todd

Just for reference what was the ARP part number for these studs and can you tell us from whom you bought them?

Red

Hey Red

I got em thru THMotorsports.com PN 206-4207. Currently $114.65 to your door. No shipping & no tax

Todd

John Wynd Avatar
Danville, KY, USA   USA
Always , but always, install new studs every time the head is off. Heavy tensile load, lotsa thermal cycling, micro cracks at the base of the threads - asking for trouble otherwise. Like stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime - don’t reuse head studs.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Never again for me...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster