Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ima68tr Tom Fremont
MILFORD, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Jaqueline The Ripper"
Great for an unrestored car, but a concourse example might better take the currently available repros which are quite faithful to the originals. Under $1K the set IIRC.

For originality's sake, 60 or 72 spoke painted wires fill the bill, in lieu of wobbly original steel wheels and, in the case of '250s, the virtually unobtainium Rostyle wheel covers ( except trashed ones, which still surface occasionally ).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
joemamma Gold Member Robert White
Monroe,NC 28112, USA   USA
I have 4 aluminum Silverstones for sale. Problem is I lent them to a friend in Pa. He is not using them now and I need to pick them up. I will list them here when I get them back. That will be closer to spring. I did pick up a 4A irs recently. Great rust free project with O/D . Looks like its never had any rust! Can't wait to wake it up and drive it. I had to go to Alabamer to get it.
Bob

Attachments:
100_2352.JPG    45.1 KB
100_2352.JPG

100_2635.JPG    57.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
cfrick Avatar
cfrick Charles Frick
Chadds Ford, PA, USA   USA
Where in PA and how much?

cfrick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Charles,
Sending PM

Bill Morris Avatar
Nor Cal, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Guys,

From a bit of personal experience...
I still run a set of the magnesium Silverstones on a vintage TR4 racer. Have run that type of wheel on many different cars and never had an issue with the 15"ers. However, I have found enough cracked mag Silverstones in 13" that I quit running them and went to a different wheel. If you have them in 13" size, crack check often and do not paint the spokes! They all cracked up and over the tops of the spokes near the center of the wheel near the lug holes.
The original finish was, I think, anodized dark gray on the spokes, definitely not painted. If you sandblast or beadblast them, you will lose the original gray color.

Bill

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
I saw a a MGC that had splined wheels. I bought the original wire wheels that came with the car.
I lost a left side wheel years ago while driving down the highway. Seems someone took off 3 lugs and could not get the wheel lock off so it held for many miles with 1 lug.
So I am in the market for 1 wheel with threads. Anybody got one?
My original spinners were beat so I did't run them. Too bad the thread isn't the same as the wire wheels. But I never checked other model/brand vehicles. Has anyone?
Has anyone use the EMPI clamp on spinners. They are readily available.
How do you tell the difference between aluminum and magnesium without damaging the wheel?
Does one have markings and the other one not?
For those with spinner style wheels, how many would want to buy a new set if they were mfg.

steve346 Steve Ludeker
Suwanee, GA, USA   USA
steve346 Steve Ludeker
Suwanee, GA, USA   USA
joemamma Gold Member Robert White --Did you bead blast that wheel? It looks very nice. Did you clear, or what to get the original dark gray?

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
The wheels I saw were from the late 60's or early 70's. They were installed when the MGC were new. I saw them mid 70's

ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Charles Edwards
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1590877 by volleyball I saw a a MGC that had splined wheels. I bought the original wire wheels that came with the car.
I lost a left side wheel years ago while driving down the highway. Seems someone took off 3 lugs and could not get the wheel lock off so it held for many miles with 1 lug.
So I am in the market for 1 wheel with threads. Anybody got one?
My original spinners were beat so I did't run them. Too bad the thread isn't the same as the wire wheels. But I never checked other model/brand vehicles. Has anyone?

Has anyone use the EMPI clamp on spinners. They are readily available.

These are the EMPI clamp on spinners....

Attachments:
20181119_132520.jpg    28.5 KB
20181119_132520.jpg

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
Nice.
Are your wheels threaded?
I might go for these even if I got some originals for daily driving.

ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Charles Edwards
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1591030 by volleyball Nice.
Are your wheels threaded?
I might go for these even if I got some originals for daily driving.

No. The spinners attach to a hub via threads in the hub and spinner. The hub attaches to the wheel with set screws.

Steve 346 ,

The wheels were like that when I got them. They were painted a dull silver. None of that is necessary with the aluminum wheels. The wheels now have a polished edge and different color centers.
Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links