Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Charles Edwards
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
On page 67 of Graham Robson's book The Triumph TRs is a picture of Bob Tullius in a TR-4. The wheels show considerable offset and the tires look beefy. Anyone know what wheels and tires Tullius used?

Thanks,
-Chuck Edwards

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Once again Chuck! They were Triumph compition mags thta used to be sold through the Triumph dealers.Tried to get a setback in 1980,no luck.Most still around today are worn out,chipped cracked and used up.Good ones are big$$$$.Even the restorers of old gp44 cars can't find them.I do have a cheap solution though.Check the junk yards for old Saab 900 factory mags from their cars with a sport package.These used to come from Shelby and were installed over here before delivery. I can't remember the name of the company who used to make the Triumph factory wheels.Too many years and beers have passed since then!

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

tr4play Avatar
tr4play Eric Elman
CT, USA   USA
Those wheels were made by American Racing Equipment, the model was "Silverstone." They were an official Triumph competition option ordered through your dealer. They were available in both magnesium and aluminum and came in various widths. I do not know the spec of the ones raced on by Group 44. The wheels were always bolt on but the early ones (up to ca. 1968) were actually threaded on the ends for a fake knock off ("NOKOF"winking smiley that were handed. These were made of pot metal and quite rare today. Just like a real wire wheel knock off, these were cast with "left side" or "right side" and would say "off" with an arrow. Later wheels were not threaded at the center and took a plastic hexagonal cap of similar design to todays aftermarket wheels. The lug nuts were unique and I have reproduced them in polished stainless steel. Search in the for sale section of this forum and you can see them there. These wheels were also available in 13" as competition items for Spitfires/GT6's. The magnesium wheels are more common and also typically show the most wear, pitting deterioraton. They have a grayish color to them. The aluminum wheels polish more like chrome and while they can also be found in quite poor condition are generally better and easier to restore. Overall, they are very rare wheels but the best looking and most appropriate for a restoration.

Eric Elman "tr4play"
'64 Triumph TR4
'66 Triumph Spitfire MK2
'59 Morgan +4

Eric Elman
1966 Triumph Spitfire MK2; FC87259L
1965 Triumph TR4; CT38254LO
1960 Austin-Healey 3000 MK1; HBN7L5239
1959 Morgan +4; 4248

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I've been looking for a set of original Americans for 10 years +. I either don't have the money or cant find them. A good set from a private party requiring restoration I would expect to pay $1000 or more. As for locating a set, I finally saw a set in a garage, but had been planned to be used on a car. A second set I never saw was broken up for a set of 5 and set of 3. Lost track of that set. Good luck, Kyle.

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
That is the word I could not remember "Silverstone"!

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

Attachments:
000_0008.JPG    31.2 KB
000_0008.JPG

billhwe Bill Herwehe
New Orleans, LA, USA   USA
I actually have three or the aluminum and one of the magnesium wheels and will soon post them on ebay. The attached pic shows a similar set I sold a few years back. And before anyone asks I don't have any of the Nokoffs.

Attachments:
CIMG4601.JPG    47.1 KB
CIMG4601.JPG

cfrick Avatar
cfrick Charles Frick
Chadds Ford, PA, USA   USA
@ tr4play, there was an iteration you didn't mention. '68/'69/'70 wheels featured a hexagonal center cap that matched the "saftey" wire wheel knockoff nuts used at that time. These wheels were still threaded although only RH. The latest wheels eliminated the threads and used a bolt on cap.

P.S. 'ave a look at these...they are good wheels, one of our club members has them on a TR250.

http://gc360enterprises.com/

cfrick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 09:00 AM by cfrick.

Mike Wacker Avatar
Mike Wacker Mike W
Bothell, WA, USA   USA
Hello - I have the original American Racing Mag wheels for TR series. The are the magnesium version. I also have the very rare "knockoffs" the screw onto the wheels. The wheels are in good condition. They can been seen on my black 1967 TR4A; a picture of which can be found on this website. If any is interested let me know. I am interested in what they would bring today.

steve346 Steve Ludeker
Suwanee, GA, USA   USA
Hi, did you ever find a buyer for your wheels?

tr4play Avatar
tr4play Eric Elman
CT, USA   USA
Hi Steve,

No buyer, still available. Have not advertised anywhere other than that one ad I placed here. If genuinely interested, PM me and am happy to answer questions, etc.

Eric

Eric Elman
1959 Morgan +4; 4248

tr4play Avatar
tr4play Eric Elman
CT, USA   USA
Hi Charles,

Thanks for that info. I was unaware of this iteration until just last week (somehow missed your post until tonight). I stumbled on this iteration as I just purchased a set in 13” with the metal RH threaded hexagonal center caps. These will go on the Spitfire that is nearing completion of her restoration.

Eric Elman
1959 Morgan +4; 4248

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Someone listed a set here or on the BCF for $2500 recently. They are high but thats a little steep for a set. I have a set that I am getting ready to use on a TR250. I bought the whole car just to get the wheels.
Marv

Cruiser Martin Carew
Temecula, Temecula, CA, USA   USA
I have I should sell .... 15x5.5. Bolt pattern is 4x114.3 . Casting number 61550 is present on inside of each wheel.

Attachments:
00J0J_gP2EfEmmlkb_1200x900.jpg    42 KB
00J0J_gP2EfEmmlkb_1200x900.jpg

Mike Wacker Avatar
Mike Wacker Mike W
Bothell, WA, USA   USA
These look like the original magnesium version of the American Racing Silverstone wheel. If there are zero fractures, they're worth a boatload.

GulfTR4 Avatar
GulfTR4 Greg T
St Paul, MN, USA   USA
I have several sets of Silverstones and have never paid more than $260 per wheel and that includes 5 and 5 1/2" wheels. Things to look for is deep pitting and the wheel lip being removed because of damage. Restoring a wheel can easily take 8 hours with bead blasting at low pressure and polishing.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links