Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

abhlott Avatar
abhlott Silver Member Terry Ledden
Ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Rebuilding my front suspension and I've thrown every tool i have at the task of getting the wishbones back onto the trunnions. Followed youtube video advice to ream out the end of the bushing in order to get the shaft of the trunnion started into the busing. Attempts to get the wishbone with new bushing (reamed) and greased onto the trunnion WHILE IT'S INSTALLED on the car impossible. Barely fits into the reamed out section but will not move any further (using a 2lb rubber hammer). Took everything off the car and tried to install it on the bench .... no way. Reamed it out some more, no improvement. While in the vice, got it half way onto the trunnion but won't pivot without extreme force and lots of squealing and groaning. Then I tried to install the wishbone onto the old worn trunnion, still no luck. See how destroyed the bushing has become. Anybody experienced this? Are the moss bushings just a bad fit? I'm thinking my next step is to take all the parts to a machine shop and have them machine and fit everything with enough tolerance that i can disassemble and reassemble back on the car.

Any ideas?

Previous experience:
1962 TR4
1960 TR3
1972 TR6 w/ OD & Hard top
1971 GT6
1976 TR7
1974 TR6 V8 Chev 383

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0038.jpeg    37.3 KB
IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0041.jpeg    39.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The bushings in the arms definitely have to be reamed to size after installation; that is as original. The problem is that the holes in the arms are not consistent from car to car, so the bushings have to be supplied a bit large on the outside diameter to make sure they fit tightly in all arms. Then the bushing crushes slightly during installation, and the id gets reamed back to size.

Toss out that adjustable reamer and get a 5/8" fixed reamer. The clearance is built into the pin. That joint has to pivot freely, so no hammer should be needed. Looks to me like you've messed up the bushings to the extent that I would replace them again and start over.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

abhlott Avatar
abhlott Silver Member Terry Ledden
Ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Randall ... thanks so much. Now that makes total sense. I recall now the youtube clip Alec McLeod referenced a 5/8" fixed reamer. Ordered replacement bushings last night. Just might have this back on the road for Drive Your Triumph Day next week!

Previous experience:
1962 TR4
1960 TR3
1972 TR6 w/ OD & Hard top
1971 GT6
1976 TR7
1974 TR6 V8 Chev 383

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster