Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TrippingTR Avatar
TrippingTR Edward O
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
I am installing a new exhaust system into a 1966 TR4A solid axle and the previous system was lacking quite a few bits and pieces one of them being the part number 16 in the attached image. My question is what exactly should I be attaching the support flange (#16) to? The transmission, the frame? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Exhaust1.jpg    47.1 KB
Exhaust1.jpg

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
To one of the 2 big GB bolts, the bracket nut will hold the GB and rubber mount together. Beware that aftermarket brackets fracture frequently because of vibrations. Some make their own with ticker steel or add a steel plate to the original or weld a nut to it, some merely delete it. Be sure that it WILL fracture in no time if you don't strengthen it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 07:38 PM by Geko.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Goes under trans mount on right side. Use big bolt that goes thru trans mount hole. Most are thrown away. I have several if wanted Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TrippingTR Avatar
TrippingTR Edward O
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks Marv, I still have one. Much appreciated.

Ed

jerryvv Avatar
jerryvv Jerry Van Vlack
Hudson, USA   USA
I would not delete this bracket, you'll end up with vibrations and even a rattle of pipe to frame at some point. It was designed and placed there for a reason.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
This thread has my challenges there.

https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,1259356

TrippingTR Avatar
TrippingTR Edward O
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
No plan to delete it, just need to know where it goes exactly. Marv helped me out there. Thanks!

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
You can see where it goes in the attached graphic.

If it is the same location as a similar bracket on my 62 TR4, then it attaches to one of the bolts on your transmission mount.

Just look at that pipe joint at the aft end of the forward muffler pipe, the transmission mount should be just above that joint. I believe it uses the right bolt that attaches the transmission mount to the chassis.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 02:31 PM by Vila.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 11.20.25 AM.jpg    47.8 KB
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 11.20.25 AM.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster