AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Door check straps installation
  This topic is about my 1962 Triumph TR4
HRTorres Hector Torres
Sugarloaf Key, FL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Matador"
Greetings! Need help in figuring out how to fix a Door Check Strap issue with my 1962 TR4, CT15376L. Looks like the previous owner left the original check straps in place, but the attachment point on the doors seem to be for a later TR4 model or a TR4A.
He used a bolt to keep strap in place, but it looks both unsightly and does not work properly (SEE ATTACHED PICTURES). Does anyone has an idea of the best way to solve this issue? I purchased the later model check straps, which would properly attach to the doors, but cant find a way to secure them to the body (Post). Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
TRIUMPH CHECK STRAPS.jpg    41.8 KB
TRIUMPH CHECK STRAPS.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Hector

You are missing part of the attachment point on the door. It should be a " U" shape piece that the pin goes through with a hole for the pin to go through top and bottom. You have the correct arm just not the correct attachment point on the door.

If you need a picture to understand my description I will take one.

To your question: if you are trying to put later door stops on, you will have to fabricate the bracket for the arm to attach to the door.

Red

Yes No Thank
GulfTR4 Avatar
GulfTR4 Greg T
St Paul, MN, USA   USA
If you want to change to the later check strap, the A post will need to be modified with a section from a later car. The opening in the A post is centered and horizontal in the later cars and the spring mechanism for the check strap is riveted in. The change was made somewhere around car #30,000, 3/4 through the year for '64. I cut the center out of a rusty 4a and welded it into an early 64. The later straps are 1/4 the cost and last 10 times longer.
Greg

Yes No Thank
HRTorres Hector Torres
Thanks for the prom pt reply and good info, Red!
I would be grateful for a pic of the U bracket so that I can see where I may be able to get a pair of them...In the alternative, I will try to find a shop to make them and weld them to the door...
Thanks Again!

Yes No Thank
HRTorres Hector Torres
Thank you for the info Greg! I will start hitting some of the used parts websites to see if I can find the a and b posts. I already found someone that will cut them and weld them for me.. Need a plan B in case I cant find the U attachment for the doors.

Thanks again!: :-)

Yes No Thank
GulfTR4 Avatar
GulfTR4 Greg T
St Paul, MN, USA   USA
For the cost of welding in the new brackets on the doors you may be able to buy 2 good used later doors. There is a backing behind the bracket so it does not deform the door so easily.
Greg

Yes No Thank
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Hector

As requested here are the pics of one of my doors.

As stated in other posts this plate is welded on the in side of the door. If one could cut the ears off the old piece with a dremel and use the existing plate as a base a new "U" shaped piece could be welded in. Note that there is an indentation for the new piece to sit into.

Food for thought.

Attachments:
Tr4 peoject 001 (3).JPG    50.7 KB
Tr4 peoject 001 (3).JPG

Tr4 peoject 002 (3).JPG    47.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
HRTorres Hector Torres
Thanks Red! Precisely what I've been looking for... Do you mind if I use your pics to try and see if anyone out there has a couple of these brackets? Just found out that the doors on my '62 TR4 are from a much later TR4... If I cant find the brackets, I will follow ur advise and cut the existing brackets off and see if the shop can make the brackets like the ones in your picture...
Thanks again!

Yes No Thank
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Hector

You can use the pics as needed.

good luck on your project.

Red

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster